Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Big Pond, Hoffman Notch Wilderness

Enjoyed a fun & easy overnighter at Big Pond in the Hoffman Notch Wilderness this past weekend, with a quick side trip over to North Pond. Absolutely gorgeous weekend! Please enjoy the video...

Adirondack Winter Backpacking (Episode 9): Big Pond, Hoffman Notch Wilderness
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Tick Magnet

Another fine production!

What a great destination so close to "civilization".
Old 01-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

My favorite Wilderness area! I prefer the more remote sections out in the "notch".
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
Tabe

Been there many times,once for Hedgehog to visit the hermit and once to follow the new sort of trail up Jones Hill.Nice vid.
Tabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Thanks guys!

Tabe, I met a guy at the trailhead who mentioned he heard about a trail up Hoffman Mountain, but being fairly new to exploring the area I wasn’t able to confirm that. Any input by any chance? I certainly did find a few different (illegally) blazed routes in between the state trail & ponds.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

First thing... umm... audio seems quiet just like the previous vids during *some* of your narration. Does seem worse when it's colder e.g. both morning clips.

Second thing - I think the GoPro looks better for dynamic shots. The Nikon seemed to be trying to focus and looked jittery to me. It might have been a little crisper, so maybe for static camera positions it would be better. I don't notice much issues with vibration in your vids, but you can get a device called a gimbal which will stabilize your movements if that turns out to be the issue with the other camera.

Third thing - the blazes... yeah, they suck. I guess that's what happens when the DEC doesn't mark a trail to such an obvious geographical feature. To my recollection, the rest of the area is pretty pristine unless something has happened recently. I guess it's another downfall of having an area with only 3 marked trails... people make their own.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for the feedback.
Oddly enough I have some audio issues also with the video on my PC, more specifically with it lining up correctly with the video after ”rendering/extracting/exporting” the finished product, it’s all just a tad off in sync.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
Tabe

The red or pink tape when I went to Jones Hill turns out to be flagging for the new Trans Adk trail or something like that.It doesn't go up Hoffman but goes thru the Dirgylot area(which has nothing of interest just move along folks).The flagging seems to wander around like most new trails so I just headed for the objective saving time.You see this flagging cutting across the North Pond trail right before the downhill to the pond.Where was the paint with the smiley face,last time I was at North the paint was bright yellow green?
Old 01-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
TCD

I followed that flagging too, a few years ago, over towards Hedgehog (looking for cliffs). Did not find anything interesting, but wondered about the origin of the flagging.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
montcalm
Mobster

Took me over an hour to find this picture, but it's over on the Loch Muller entrance. One of my favorites areas, and very historic:

Old 01-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #11
Tabe

Maybe Telemark Mike could chime in,I think he made a post or comment on the new trail awhile back.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #12
real3175

Great video, Justin - always enjoy seeing a notification that you uploaded something new.
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Where was the paint with the smiley face?
It was marking a route from the state trail down to the east shore of Big Pond, which to me seemed a bit excessive and unnecessary being that the woods are pretty open, and the pond is only about a quarter mile west of the state trail. Seems like it’d be pretty difficult to get lost in between the state trail & the pond.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #14
Tabe

When I was last there this Summer there was an intersection with a sharp L turn that went a short ways to a campsite with a burned out tree,this trail had a sign and trail markers.If you went R at the intersection into the woods a short ways there was an old hunting campsite with deer hanging poles and a wood frame for a tarp tent among other relics.From here North Pond is a short walk downhill.I think I went down the red paint trail aways this Summer but got too wet.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #15
Tabe

Hedgehog is also very nice with an open summit and views to the S and E.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
When I was last there this Summer there was an intersection with a sharp L turn that went a short ways to a campsite with a burned out tree.
Interesting. I found a similar campsite with a burned out tree stump while bushwhacking from North Pond back to the state trail. I took video of it, but it didn’t make the final edit.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #17
snapper
snapper

Wonderful video as always. Thanks for taking us along. BTW...did I see someone's aluminum boat under the snow at about 5:14 in the video? If I did, is that trail easy enough to wheel something like that in? Maybe it's a canoe but the hull didn't look like one to me when I saw it.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Wonderful video as always. Thanks for taking us along. BTW...did I see someone's aluminum boat under the snow at about 5:14 in the video? If I did, is that trail easy enough to wheel something like that in? Maybe it's a canoe but the hull didn't look like one to me when I saw it.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
Thanks Snapper.
Good eyes, yup that was a boat. There was a canoe there also, but I chose to leave it out of the video. The state marked trail follows an old roadway & leads around to a campsite at the north end of the pond, and according to my GPS it was approximately 1.6 miles from the parking area. The trail is pretty wide & fairly flat, minus two short hills as you descend to the pond. I also noticed two different side paths leading to the east shore, one of which was the spray-paint trail in the video, and both would shorten a portage a bit, but seem to be a little more rugged than the state trail.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
One of my favorites areas, and very historic:

Obviously an old church but by any chance was this building also once the old “Bailey Pond Inn”, and later became the “Warren Hotel”?
Old 02-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #20
montcalm
Mobster

I don't think so Justin, drive up to Loch Muller, there are some other buildings up there and as I recall, a large one that used to be a hotel.

This building is on a crossroads just outside of Loch Muller (where the trailhead is).

I don't know what it is about that place, but I really like it. I'd love to have a house up there.