Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
real3175

Murphy Lake Lean-To 17Feb2018

My wife and I continue our exploration of the Southern ADK with Murphy/Middle/Bennett lakes from Creek Rd. The trail is probably the most marked I have ever seen, seemed like there was a marker every 50 Ft. I was disappointed to find the Lean-To in a less than desirable status. I understand why people use tarps in cold weather (even tho they aren't supposed to) but to leave everything behind makes me a bit aggravated. We cleaned up as best we could and packed out (2) of the tarps along with a grocery bag of garbage but just didn't have enough room for it all. We'll be back to hike it from Pumpkin Hollow next month and will pack out the remaining tarps if they are still there. I think Murphy Lake or Middle Lake will be a great place to overnight and have added it to my list for spring/summer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gweil1...h/39631717614/
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
dundee

Hey, thanks for helping out. It's sad, but there are many lean-tos that are like Murphy, trashed. This is a snowmobile trail and that probably explains why the amount of trash is there. I was there about a year ago and the trash was excessive. I packed out what I could, but not enough.

You have to remember that the items that people bring in magically get heavier while they're there.

There are several LTs that I would like to see removed. If people can't se them properly, they shouldn't have them.

Last edited by dundee; 02-18-2018 at 03:52 PM..
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
Tick Magnet

Great picts! (Except for the one with all the tarps)

Murphy is one of my "Happy Places". I've been going there since I was a kid and it never disappoints; even when I have to haul out a pack full of trash. Thanks for doing that. It makes a difference.

The trail from PHR is less traveled, but is broken out by snowshoes (that might not matter after this week).

As for all the blue disks, DEC put them up last year to reflect the trails classification as a multi-use trail vice solely a snowmobile trail. They did most of the trails in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest to reflect the current classification based off of the UMP. Their guy did a good job.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
Schip

Thanks for sharing. I attempted the same trip exactly one year ago from your trip. I went with my two best friends. There was a lot more snow and I had to break trail the whole way. It became clear that I just wasn't fit enough to break trail that far, so I only went to Bennett Lake. Here is a pic of my two friends on that trip. It gives you an idea of the snow depth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Murphy Trail Resize.jpg (135.5 KB, 77 views)
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Trash left behind at a lean-to?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #6
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schip View Post
Thanks for sharing. I attempted the same trip exactly one year ago from your trip. I went with my two best friends. There was a lot more snow and I had to break trail the whole way. It became clear that I just wasn't fit enough to break trail that far, so I only went to Bennett Lake. Here is a pic of my two friends on that trip. It gives you an idea of the snow depth.
Is that the first bridge just down the hill from Creek Rd.?

Holy Cow, that's a lot of snow!

I love winter!!!
Old 02-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
Woodly

Schip that's quite the photo and a pile of snow!
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
real3175

Schip that is certainly a lot of snow to break trail on, I would not have made it either!

Tick - Thank you for that piece of information on the new markers, have you seen snowmobiles or their tracks on this trail before? Seems to me like an amazing trail to ride on but I don't know much about snowmobiling, very scenic trail IMO.
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #9
Tick Magnet

The Murphy Lake trail used to be one of the more popular snowmobile trails in the area. It was always well traveled. Now, not so much.