Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Gorillapod

Anyone use one with a trekking pole?

I'm thinking it would be a good lightweight backpacking alternative to a tripod.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
WBB

I have not had much luck using it with my poles. The weight of the camera seemed to make the pole very unstable and it tended to fall over. That being said I have had good luck wrapping it around just about anything that is available.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBB View Post
I have not had much luck using it with my poles. The weight of the camera seemed to make the pole very unstable and it tended to fall over. That being said I have had good luck wrapping it around just about anything that is available.
I'm not going to use it with my Nikon digital SLR. It's far to big and heavy.

The camera I will be using it with is under 6 ounces and 4.0 x 2.5 x 0.78 in dimension.\

Just out of curiosity, how were you trying to use the pole that it fell over? I'm thinking that i would use the pole like a monopod, steadying it with one hand and shooting with the other. No?

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
WiseFool
Backpacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
...steadying it with one hand and shooting with the other.
IMO that would defeat the purpose by reintroducing the instability of hand control.

I shoot quite a bit in the night with a Canon G7 and have found those tiny tripods with velcro tape to be very light and reasonably stable. The gorillapod seems too gimmicky, but it does get very good user reviews.
WiseFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
WBB

I use either a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot or a Cool Pics both are fairly light. I tried to use the pod on the pole to take time delayed photo's so I could be in a few pictures. One of my sons got it for me because he notice that I was always behind the camera. I tried sticking the pole deep as I could but most times I hit rock. You seem to want to use more as a rest to steady the camera, which may work.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Dunbar
Unfathomable Intellect.

I have the mini gorillapod that I usually carry with me (since I do a lot of solo). As mentioned, trying to use it on a trekking pole is a bit unstable, although I've been able to do it effectively in the winter. As a monopod it would probably work quite well - only limited by the fact that it is a monopod.

It's really an effective little tripod. I used it with a Sony H5, a psuedo SLR camera that weighted 1-1.5 lbs. I've had it poised in little nooks on the side of slot canyon walls and all manner of unshapely rocks. I have not regretted the $20 I spent on it.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
redhawk

Thanks for all the input.

I've got one on the way. I ordered blue because I understand they work better then the pink.