Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Good resources for getting started in advanced (outdoor) photography?

Can anyone recommend any good websites or resources that introduce one to advanced photography techniques, particularly outdoor and nature photography?

After my old camera (and old Nikon point and shoot) died, I upgraded to a nice camera that gives me a lot more control over my photos (a Nikon P7000). I have somewhat of a basic understanding over what all the functions are, but I'd really like a great resource that explain in depth how to use them, and suggest settings for different conditions, particularly in the outdoors.

Thanks in advance!
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
jan

I think Carl Heilman teaches a workshop on outdoor photography. Nothing like learning from a master.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
nvr2low

I have a document i put together for a couple friends that is pretty easy to read and helps explain how to use some of the settings. PM me an email address and I will forward it to you, not sure if it will be as in depth as you would like but it may be a good start.

when I got into it i just spent a lot of time reading photography forums and posting photos looking for advice. that and read a lot of outdoor photography magazine.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

D,
As nvr said, just spend a little time browsing around photography sites, the mechanics are fairly simple. If you have an eye for composition, light, color and tonal range, than that's all you really need.
A small lens opening gives more depth of field (range of in focus), a large lens opening gives less depth of field.
Shutter speed needs no explanation other than to say stay above 1/30 sec or so to avoid a shaken image.
Digital imaging sensors are sensitive to excessive highlights...better to underexpose than overexpose. An overexposed image will have no data, an underexposed image may be able to be manipulated and recovered.
Lastly, the image sensor, just like your eye, has only so much tonal range. It cannot accurately render an image that has too much range from light to dark, your eye is much better than any sensor. So, don't shoot directly into a light source, unless you can even out the lighting by using a flash, or maybe a series of exposures combined into one image-HDR- High Dynamic Range.
Other than all of the above, just play with the thing, it's not like it used to be...all it costs you is your time and a little bit of power for the battery.

But one question, Why another point and shoot? You could have gotten a used DSLR, or maybe you're not ready for that yet...
Old 10-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
nvr2low

great starting advice stipperguy!

one thing to add about shutter speed though, the theory of 1/30 is fine for wide angle and point and shoots but for any others reading this thread 1/focal length is a little more accurate for zoom lenses. ex, if you are shooting with a zoom lens at 200mm 1/200s would be your minimum shutter speed with out a tripod or monopod to assist.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Edelweiss

Check out two online forums: "Digital Photography School" - http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/ and "PhotoNaturalist" - http://photonaturalist.net/
ADK46er #5438; CAT3500 #1745; CL50 #98; NPT Finisher
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Edelweiss

I recently found another photography forum called "Ugly Hedgehog" (unusual name but good site) - http://www.uglyhedgehog.com
I hope these will be useful to you.
ADK46er #5438; CAT3500 #1745; CL50 #98; NPT Finisher
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
marzrw

Hey,

I've seen a lot of your pics and you have a great eye.

You can use the auto function, but I seem to use the TAV setting most and try to keep an eye on the lowest ISO possible, less noise. Learning to check your histogram after an important shot is a big help in the digital world.

www.photo.net has a ton of useful info and links to other sites. I believe they have a nikon forum link. Learning from people with the same brand camera can be a huge help. It was for me.

All of the above suggestions are really sound ideas by everyone.

Prime lenses are always the best. That being said, I purchased a Tamron 18-250mm lens because I hate changing lenses, worry about getting dust on the sensor changing lenses, and want to be prepared to macro a flower, get a group photo, or get a telephoto of a moose, deer, or bear all within the same hike. You never know what's gonna happen on a hike and a zoom can handle most situations. Zooms have their drawbacks, pros and cons like all lenses.

Welcome to the DSLR world.