Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
bethfit

Dick Proenneke DVDS...Would anyone like to see them

There was a thread a while back Justin started about the feasibility of living like a hermit in the Adirondacks in todays day and age. The topic of Dick Proenneke who lived in the wilds of Alaska for 30 years came up and we were turned on to the dvds available by Backwoodsman. After enjoying watching a few clips we obtained a set of 4 hour long dvds. We found them very interesting and there is some beautiful scenery and great wildlife shots. Some of it is filmed by Proenneke himself and some of it by Bob Swerer.

If anyone would like to see them we would be more than happy to mail them out. If more than one person would like to see them it would be fine to just keep mailing them around until anyone who is interested has seen them as long as eventually they came back our way. I think there are many here that would enjoy them. Watching this guy build his cabin by himself at the age of 51 with hand tools is pretty impressive.

The ones we have are: Alone in the Wilderness, Alone in the Wilderness Part2, The Frozen North and Alaska Silence & Solitude.

If anyone is interested send us a PM with an address and we'll mail them out. If more than one person is interested we'll figure out a way to just keep forwarding them from one to the next. The most it should cost anyone is the cost of shipping them.
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Buckshot

Last edited by Buckshot; 02-01-2012 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: sent PM
Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Glen
Check please

Beth,

I saw the series recently on PBS again. Fascinating guy. I couldn't do it though.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
JJW

Over the years I have watched the Dick Proenneke segments on PBS.

Great stuff. He was an interesting and very talented man.

I wonder if they are studying his film footage and journals for scientific information [climate, animal etc...]?

Regards,
John

Last edited by JJW; 02-02-2012 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: added a word
JJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Judgeh

Watching this PBS program led to the only moment when I seriously wondered about a solitary life in the wilderness in one of my favorite parts of the world, Alaska! Those thoughts were quickly dispelled when I realized just how many skills are required to maintain a basic survival level. Fascinating program.
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
bethfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgeh View Post
Watching this PBS program led to the only moment when I seriously wondered about a solitary life in the wilderness in one of my favorite parts of the world, Alaska! Those thoughts were quickly dispelled when I realized just how many skills are required to maintain a basic survival level. Fascinating program.
Yeh, This guy could do it all. He seemed to have the strength and stamina of a 20 year old and he was in his 50's when he started! It's one thing to cut logs, but in several scenes he is ripping boards out of long logs by hand. He's like a human saw mill! His ingenuity and self-reliance was really over the top. We also enjoyed some of his seemingly simple philosophies scattered throughout. There is one scene where he describes a hike he took one day and he casually mentions that he has traveled 22 miles so he better turn around and start thinking about heading back!!!
I am not saying watching the dvds makes you want to catch the next plane to Alaska and build a cabin,(although it could) but it can make you question a little how you are spending your own time day to day,and what is really important to you. Maybe cause one to re-evaluate a little. There is always some room for some tweeking......
Old 02-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

I love this story and whenever I see the program on PBS i'm completely mesmerized. I think DP is a hero to many of us.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
bethfit

Bump-Bump

Just wanted to bump the thread. If anyone else would like to see the DVDs just send me a PM and they will be gladly sent your way. You're only responsibility would be to ship them back. The last person on the list just received them and when they are finished, if there is no one else interested, I will have them shipped "home".
Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
johnnyok

Thanks a bunch for the DVD's. I thoroughly enjoyed watching them. They are on their way back to NY.
johnnyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
bethfit

Our Pleasure John, thanks again....
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
ADKian

I enjoyed them as well. Great videos and an amazing person. Thanks again from me too!
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
ADKpete

As said before beth & cliff thank you so much for this opportunity, not only myself but the rest of the family found them outstanding to watch. My son who is 7, now wants to build a cabin in the woods at the farm. He keeps saying "come on dad" -lol
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Randy89

Thank you so much for lending me the DVDs. They were a pleasure watching. Please PM me and let me know where to send them to next.
Randy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
Faline
reMember

The DVDs are fantastic, but even better is the book "Alone in the Wilderness" ...which is a compilation of Dick Proenneke's journals from the first few years. One of, if not the, most inspriring books I've read.
Faline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
Uncle Alvah

It is wonderful that Mr. Proenneke chose to document his adventure so well, especially considering the fact that at the time, recording film was not the easiest thing to do, especially out in the Bush.
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #16
Jackson

The ones we have are: Alone in the Wilderness, Alone in the Wilderness Part2, The Frozen North and Alaska Silence & Solitude.

I have parts 1 and 2, as well as Silence and Solitude...but what is Frozen North about?
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #17
Jackson

I hear you can go to the cabin now and visit it. It is officially on my Bucket List.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote