Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Bill I.

What's your favorite part of the Adirondacks?

I don't think this is a topic that's been covered before, at least not directly, so let's ask it here:

Do you have a favorite part of the Adirondacks? If so, why does it appeal to you?

I'm not expecting anyone to divulge a special "sweet spot." General descriptions are OK.

Mine is certainly the West Canada Lake region. I've been to almost every part of the park, and there are numerous places in the Forest Preserve that have made a mark on me and which I can't wait to see again.
  • The Siamese Ponds region has the right balance of size, wildness, and accessibility
  • Pharaoh has all those rocky places to explore, and not a boring campsite to be found
  • The southern Adirondacks are oozing with solitude and grand forests
  • I've been up Algonquin, Gothics, Colden, and the Dix Range a bunch of times, so I can't really even knock the High Peaks anymore
  • Jay Range -- enough said. Get thee thither if thou hast not yet been.
  • Ha-de-ron-dah and the Black River area are where it all began for me
  • Exploring the Moose River Plains has been known to keep me busy
  • Although I've been taking a break from the Oswegatchie region, some of my most memorable experiences happened there

But it's the balsam forests of the West Canada headwater region that I daydream about the most. The muddy trails, the constant threat of rain, the remote trailheads, the scarcity of campsites, the perpetual sense of being just one moment removed from encountering a moose, a night filled with the hum of mosquitoes, the wail of loon as you leave the lake, the fire that won't start because everything is too damp, the mossy roof of the lean-to, the wetland you can't see because the alders are too thick, the creek you have to ford nine times, the gulls protecting their island, the trail that no one seems to use, the dam that holds no water, the glimpse of a mountain above a beaver pond, the coyotes yelping in the night.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
adkmoose

Mine is the southern adirondacks for the same reasons that you mentioned , plus ponds, ponds , ponds that I almost always have to myself.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

I haven't covered as much of my 2.7 million as I would like to, but Pigeon Lakes has always been near and dear to me. It is the part of the Adirondacks where I 'grew up' both literally and figuratively.

Hurricane Mountain has stood out to me in recent years. It captures what I love about the high peaks area without the peak bagginess.

And of course I couldn't be without the old trusty Saranac Lakes WF and SRCA. Despite the crowds I still love that area - the magnitude of ponds and lakes with the high peaks in the backdrop just keeps me coming back. If I ever live in the park again, it will be in that area.

My wife's favorite area is Lake George WF. Some might think it strange but it is one of the most interesting areas in the park. Part of her allure I believe is the unavoidable history that you see walking through those forests. It is an area once dominated by man more than it is, and now you see nature taking it back in some areas. The rock in that area is very interesting to me as well as how the trees grow. The forests seem to be sparse and easy for walking off trail.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I don't think I have a favorite. I seem to explore in areas in trends though. So it seems that my favorite is really a part time favorite of whatever area I seem to be visiting regularly.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Tough call!
I have favorite areas in different parts of the park that I return to often and explore fairly thoroughly throughout the year, most of which are within a couple hours drive so it's hard to pick a favorite.
I really like to bushwhack, and the eastern and southern regions seem to be much more bushwhacker friendly than some other areas that I've visited...

Last edited by Justin; 08-21-2013 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: eastern & southern
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
geogymn

As a young man I lived in L. Placid and loved it. Peaks and partying at their best. These days I like short road time and solitude. The Southwest corner of the park grants me that. I don't get out as much as I used to, only when my sanity demands it.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Tick Magnet

Other than the obvious, "Whatever part I'm in now", I'd have to say Wilcox Lake Wild Forest area. For many of the same reasons Bill I stated, it's where it all started for me and where I always come back to.

The trees, ponds, rocks and hills all seem familiar to me. The peaks aren't high, but the views are secret and stunning none the less. When I was stationed overseas, rarely would a day go by where I didn't think about doing something in the WLWF. I've been to most other parts of the Park and they're special in their own right, but the WFLF is my happy place.

I've done a lot of firsts in the WLWF:
-1st fish (when I was 5)
-1st ADK buck
-1st native brookie
-1st over night camp out
-etc.

I guess that makes me a sentimental sap, but so be it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st fish1.jpg (62.1 KB, 240 views)
Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

It is a tough call...
I suppose I don't have a favorite area, but certain spots are special to me because of the memories and experiences associated with those spots.

That spot where my father dropped ta 10 pointer with a long bow (no such thing as compounds then)

Trout fishing with my uncles on the Bouquet.

Paddling with my uncles on Long Pond, passing by all of the tent platforms.

Fish Pond paddling with MDB on our first anniversary.

Those freebie sites on Forked, with our 18 month old daughter asleep in the canoe.

Bringing my nephews on their first wilderness canoe trip at Lake Lila.

One of the beaches at Lila, with our son playing in the water (he was 7 months old)

I could fill several pages, you guys get the idea...
Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
Neil
Kayak-46

The High Peaks are closest to my home, I've always been a peak-bagger even before the term existed and I have limitless non-High Peak type of country closer to home. Therefore, for me it's the High Peaks all the way. Nothing comes close or compares to the rugged beauty of the Great Range or the Dixes for instance. The (grossly over-rated and much maligned) crowds don't affect me because I mostly bushwhack. When I do hit the trail most everyone has gone home.

However, I do have a soft spot for Watsons East Triangle and the Coghan tract.....
Old 08-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
However, I do have a soft spot for Watsons East Triangle and the Coghan tract.....
Ha, who doesn't!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

...Just to expand on my answer a bit if I may..
The Pharaoh region & Hammond Pond areas have always been very special to me since early childhood.
They still are, but in recent years I have developed a passionate love affair with the Silver Lake Wilderness, and the southwestern corner of the West Canada Lakes Wilderness.
Cold River region might be next...
Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
geogymn

The search for thy self need not be complicated, just mysterious.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Regional location, laziness and temptation have kept me from the western regions... even on my close side I've missed so much, and lately my curiosity has been drawn over there. A lot of that has come from this site - pictures of those areas I haven't been tempt me... but I often get tempted by something along the way as well... too much park, too little time.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
Bill I.

I'll be spending a week soon in my favorite area ... going slow and easy! Can't wait.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill I. View Post
I'll be spending a week soon in my favorite area ... going slow and easy! Can't wait.
I'll meet you there, at that little unnamed pond we decided to save for next time.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I'll meet you there, at that little unnamed pond we decided to save for next time.
I probably won't be going that way, but I'm definitely counting on lots of down time to explore!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
I probably won't be going that way, but I'm definitely counting on lots of down time to explore!
Ok cool, meet you on the north side of Big West then.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #18
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Cold River. I know the lure that kept Noah going back.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
geogymn

Quote:
Lucky you! Looks like a nice weekend, a bit warm but otherwise nice.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
yellowcanoe

Tupper Lake area.

Even though we lived in Syracuse for several years, all I know about the SW area is centered around car camping as we had small kids then that did not walk well!
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote