Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Uncle Alvah

The very essence of "Shelter from the storm".

This little gem of a place was located about 13 miles north of Talkeetna Alaska, circa 1974.....

Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
yellowcanoe

I love old cabins and wonder what remains of it now. One of the highlights of paddling the Yukon River was visiting old cabins and marveling at how it was possible to make ones own house.

I especially liked the ones with grass growing out the top of roofs.

yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Uncle Alvah

Great pic! More work involved in a place like that than most folks would expect, it ain't like those logs were dropped on site by a delivery truck.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Wldrns

I too remember several such cabins on the Yukon. Didn't get any good photos though, as I was in race mode at the time.

Closer to home...
"Running George" lived in the remote town of Montague, on the Tug Hill Plateau. First generation immigrant with parents from Lithuania and Poland, he is rumored to have been born aboard ship on the way to America. After serving in the 17th Infantry during WWI, he lived his life in a one room dirt floor shack, in later years along with an ox to keep each other warm.

A living legend in the area, in spite of his bulky size George was known to run everywhere he went, many miles each day. His sister said he ran all night just for the fun of it. In later years he rode an old single speed balloon tire bicycle, barely held together with wire and straps, to get his supplies. I saw him riding it in Lowville, some 15 miles from his home on "the hill". He earned his living independently as a hermit, but would often show up at a deer hunter's kill site deep in the woods, offering to throw the deer on his back and run with it out of the woods for a small fee. He hunted and trapped, raised frogs for sale on a nearby small pond, chopped wood, and did other odd chores wherever he could. His incredibly heavy home made iron snowshoes still exist. George died in 1970 from diabetes and resulting gangrene to a leg.

This is a photo of his shack, taken not long after George died, along with a photo of him from a few years earlier. The shack is now long gone as Montague (the "lesser wilderness") slowly reverts to its lesser inhabited roots. The road near his home is now labeled on official maps as "Running George Road".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RG.jpg (107.2 KB, 108 views)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Uncle Alvah

Then there is this rig to keep you and the weather from "becoming as one"......

Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
WBB

Found along the West Rim Trail in PA. It seem fairly weather tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000206 (640x480).jpg (77.8 KB, 84 views)
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Uncle Alvah

Talk about "blending in"! very cool!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
WBB

Here's one with some grass on the roof, also a little harder to find than the first one I posted. Burntroot Lake, Algonquin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0055 (640x360) (640x360).jpg (56.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
Crokit
crokit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBB View Post
Found along the West Rim Trail in PA. It seem fairly weather tight.

That, is awesome. Would love to see the insides of it. How long ago was it found?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
geogymn

I came in from the wilderness a creature void of form
"Come in" she said
"I'll give you shelter from the storm".
Old 03-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
WBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crokit View Post
That, is awesome. Would love to see the insides of it. How long ago was it found?
I had to look that up if I had gone by memory I would have guessed 5 years ago. It was taken April 7, 2004. My goodness time flies. It is the West Rim Trail in the Pine Creek Gorge near Wellsboro PA. Well worth the time to check it out. But, alas I fear that shelter is gone, but this one is likely still there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000196 - Copy (640x480).jpg (71.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Running George" lived in the remote town of Montague, on the Tug Hill Plateau. First generation immigrant with parents from Lithuania and Poland, he is rumored to have been born aboard ship on the way to America. After serving in the 17th Infantry during WWI, he lived his life in a one room dirt floor shack, in later years along with an ox to keep each other warm.

A living legend in the area, in spite of his bulky size George was known to run everywhere he went, many miles each day. His sister said he ran all night just for the fun of it. In later years he rode an old single speed balloon tire bicycle, barely held together with wire and straps, to get his supplies. I saw him riding it in Lowville, some 15 miles from his home on "the hill". He earned his living independently as a hermit, but would often show up at a deer hunter's kill site deep in the woods, offering to throw the deer on his back and run with it out of the woods for a small fee. He hunted and trapped, raised frogs for sale on a nearby small pond, chopped wood, and did other odd chores wherever he could. His incredibly heavy home made iron snowshoes still exist. George died in 1970 from diabetes and resulting gangrene to a leg.

This is a photo of his shack, taken not long after George died, along with a photo of him from a few years earlier. The shack is now long gone as Montague (the "lesser wilderness") slowly reverts to its lesser inhabited roots. The road near his home is now labeled on official maps as "Running George Road".
Amazing story!!!