Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #21
JerseyHighlander

Hmm, obscure, poorly lit, fuzzy picture... I want to change my answer to Sasquatch!.

You saw a wolverine.?. Bastard. No fair.
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #22
JerseyHighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post

Being a wildlife expert and not a screenwriter (hello JerseyHighlander!), he didn't mention anything about falling out of a raptor's jaws and gliding to a safe descent onto Whiteface's boardwalk.
Ahh comon. You've never seen a bird drop it's prey to kill it? Admittedly, far fetched for a little flying squirrel, but it could happen. (They usually carry them in their talons).

Saw a video once of a golden eagle dropping a baby goat from altitude, to smash him on the rocks so he didn't have to wrestle it once he got it to the nest. Kinda creepy when birds of prey learn that other things not being able to fly makes a good weapon.

Sat for an hour once and watched a couple flying rats (Seagulls) bringing live clams back from the mudflats, hovering and dropping them from about 20-30 feet onto a pier below. Smashed them open then dropped to eat the meat. The pier was littered with broken shells.
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #23
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyHighlander View Post
You saw a wolverine.?. Bastard. No fair.
I had posted it on the 14ers site and got a few skeptical responses (wolverines are rare in Colorado) and a few confirmations that the best contender for my description was a wolverine (definitely not a marmot).
https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32890

Half a year later, someone posted pictures of a wolverine they saw a few miles from where I did. (Square Top and Bierstadt mountain are 5 miles apart and separated by Guanella Pass).
https://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=34720

I enjoyed my two days of hiking in Colorado and the brief sighting of a wolverine was the trip's best memento.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #24
rickhart

Wolverine! Wow - jealous.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #25
mike

Wolverine I saw at Hidden Lake in Glacier NP:

He was chasing a small bird in a playful manner. Although I doubt he'd let it go if he got it....

edit:

Sorry but not sorry for the size of the image.

Last edited by mike; 06-05-2017 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: apology
mike is offline   Reply With Quote