Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
david.keymel

Lake Lila Access Road

Hi All. Looking to get at Lake Lila this fall. We are hoping to just drop a canoe on the lake and paddle around and have a leisurely weekend. Having looked at what resources we know about online, it looks like the Carry is about .3 miles? My main question is, is that accurate, and consistent? When I was little I remember going to a place and i think it was Lake Lila, where there was a section of road you needed a 4x4 truck to pass due to large rocks in the road. that was many years ago and maybe its now changed, or I maybe thinking of somewhere else.

Can anyone confirm what the portage would be for Lake Lila? We would be looking to go in September around the 12th. Depending on what we expect for the walking part we may need to pack less luxury foods. Right now my friend is seeing .3 miles and is willing to hump in heavier stuff. I am thinking we might be looking at more like 1.3 or 2.5 miles.

Thanks all!
david.keymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
yellowcanoe

Its a well trodden downhill path. .3 miles. You can make that lot in a standard car on the access road.

Its .3 miles uphill at the end.

Why would you think 2.5 miles unless you need to portage eight times because you are bringing a BBQ.

You may have quite a paddle to find a campsite so it should all fit in the boat so you can paddle once to the campsite.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
david.keymel

Well mostly because of bad memory I guess. Where ever it was I went that time, and I have no way to confirm where it was since those folks that took me are now passed on, it would be a long walk if we couldn't drive that last few miles over a very difficult road. I remember there was a very large beaver dam at the place of parking. Then there was a smaller road that was really hard to get down that you could take if you had the appropriate vehicle. But that's all I really remember.

We don't like to pack too crazy but when we do canoe we like to do luxury food since the rest of the time we are backpacking and on dried foods.

Thanks for your response, and tip on the camp sites. The map we saw showed that there maybe quite a number of them along the lake and at least one on each island. I don't know how up to date that info is however.

Last edited by david.keymel; 07-06-2015 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Additional Info.
david.keymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
yellowcanoe

Your memory is of another place. There is no beaver dam in that parking lot.
After the parking lot the road is gated to be a foot trail. Its possible long ago that you parked elsewhere( no gate) and there are some wetlands along the trail.

If the parking lot is full, the campsites are too. There are 24. The islands tend to be badly trampled and bereft of down wood.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...pwilliamcw.pdf
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:52 AM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I was at Lake Lila a few weeks ago. There are a few rocks in the road that a low clearance car will have to dodge, but as long as you go slow and keep your eyes out for them, you should be fine driving all the way to the parking area.

The 0.3 mile carry down to the canoe launch site is pretty easy.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
Begather

Your thread is really very interesting and helpful for my research. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Begather; 11-10-2016 at 05:46 AM..
Begather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
Bob K

Lila access

Went in Sunday and the road is passable by any car with only a few spots requiring very slow caution. Oddly 2 miles in (of last 5.6) we had to clear a very recent downed tree. Glad we had a saw.

The . 3 portage path is well worn and not ideal for wheels. Most double it as having cold beverages and chairs enhances the trip. Many exiting Sunday so we had our pick of sites. Bonus was several kind souls doubling the exit helped carry our stuff to the lake so we only had to make one trip. Perhaps payback for the tree clearing. Only 4 cars there Tuesday at noon.

Parking lots at both Lila and especially LTL very busy Sunday noontime. No black flies. Mosquitos bad when no breeze and some biting horse flies.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
natrdude

I have been to Lake Lila four times in the past 6 years for extended (8-10 day) trips. The bass fishing has always been good and I even caught a nice 21 inch laker there two years ago in July. Over the years, Lake Lila has become more and more "crowded" with "weekend warriors" that are loud and obnoxious. You can see them paddling with cooler filled canoes. I personally take a couple hikes down the trail to the lake, because for a week long stay or more, I like to be comfortable. It's an easy hike to the lake. Weekends usually have many more people and what others are saying is true...Sunday afternoon is a good time to get a "nice" site. I am going to try Monday morning on the 24th of August - the 31st. You should have no problems in September finding a really nice site! Wish I could do a week in September there. The trout fishing would probably be much better and less people. Have fun!
natrdude is offline   Reply With Quote