Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
malexander

Blue Mt and Sawyer Mt

I couldn't resist the temptation to go play in the new snow. I checked the snow cover and decided I needed to head west. A quick look at the maps and I settled on Blue Mt. I figured I'd also check out Sawyer Mt.... well just because it was there

My third attempt at ignoring the snooze alarm also failed so I decided to get up. It certainly wasn't early by my standards but the sun wasn't up so I called it a win. A few podcasts later I was at the Blue Mt trail head. There was a light but persistent snow just strong enough to have a little bit of fun driving.

I hit the empty trail and immediately regretted the beers I had last night. Also weighing on me were all the unhealthy fattening foods I've devoured without regard this holiday season. Seeing snowshoe tracks from the parking area, I followed suit to preserve the integrity of the trail. The snow base was not what I had hoped for but I enjoyed the climb regardless. Without any views I didn't linger at the top. The descent went much quicker and even offered some filtered views of Blue Mt Lake.

On I went to the Sawyer Mt trail head. I have to admit I was excited to get there knowing that the fresh snow was likely undisturbed. I was treated to 6-9" of unbroken snow on the short 1 mile trail. A workout like this was what I really needed! It didn't take long to remember how much work even that little bit of snow can be. After a methodically paced slog up, I was treated to limited views.

Suffice to say I was successful in shaking the dust off the snowshoes and further acclimating to the colder temps. Overall another nice but short day in the woods. Only saw one other soul all day.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Tick Magnet

Snow conditions are great right now!

Glad you were able to enjoy a couple of nice peaks.