Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Garmin RINO 130 GPS Review *****

The new RINO 130 arrived. An upgrade after using the 110 for a couple of years.

This is one sweet instrument.

For those who are unfamilar with any of the RINO's, I'm going to describe the complete commanality of all three, the 110, 120 and the new 120.

The commonaliy is that all three integregate a GPS and a FRS/GMRS Radio into one instrument. The radios are the same as the hand held motorolas that are used for personal communications. The RINO also allows you to scan channels and to monitor channels. Best Case range for the radios is 2 miles for the FRS and 5 miles for the GMRS. You need a clear unobstructed range to achieve those results.

The novelty of the RINOS is that two or more people with them can keep track of each others position with the satelites. If both have a satellite lock with their GPS, when they key the mike, it sends their location (waypoint) to any RINO units within range. You can then tell the other persons position and the bearing they are on. Additionally, you can send any waypoint in your GPS to the other person.

All three are featured filled (even with a lot of unneeded ones) with stopwatch, alarm, area calculator, calculator, Calendar, Sun and Moon cycles, hunt and fish screen, and games. The GPS function does just about everything and a little more. Waypoints, Find & GO, Tracks, routes, proximity alarms, etc. You can keep track of all sorts of things, eta, ete, Velocity made good, ascent, descent, moving speed, average spedd, distance to current destination and to final destination (As the crow flies), distance traveled, (real time) sunrise, sunset, and a whole lot more.

All three will accept waypoints and routes using almost any ot the topographical software or waypoint managers. The 110 needs an additional cable which is not included in the purchase to import and export them. In addition, the 110 cannot load in maps from Mapsource (or any other) source.
The 120 and he 130 can both import topo maps and other information from about all of the garmin mapsource software. The 120 has 8 megs of memory to load maps, the 130 has 24 megs. Both come with a cable. Mapsource Topo software is anywhere from $79.00 to $116.00 depending on where you purchase it from.

The 120 and the 130 also have a "vibrate" mode for the redio so you can turn off the audible beeps if you wish and both may be set to send and receive scrambled transmissions from other RINOS if desired.

The 130 has an electronic compass and an altimeter and a weather radio included as well as the 24 megs of memory for maps. With the 110 and 120, you need to be moving for the compass to work, with the 130 the compass will work when you are stationary. And although the 110 and 120 will give you a pretty accurate altitude reading, the 130 has an altimeter screen that allows you to keep track of many additional things.

With the 24 megs in the RINO I am able to load all of the Adirondack Park as well as New York State using Garmins Mapsource Topo. The software is good for loading the maps into the gps and transferring data back and forth. It does a good job on that. However, if you are looking for mapping soiftware, the best and most accurate out there is National Geographics TOPO! series. You can import/export waypoints, routes and tracks between it and the RINO but not the maps.

The 130 lists for $379, but it can be purchased on line from several sources for a little as $270. If it's a fullfeatured GPS you are looking for, the 130 fits the bill, even wthout the radios. If you hike with friends a lot, a pair of 130s makes things so much more pleasant.

If anyone is interested in more on any of these GPS's,go to Garmin.com and you can download the actual manuals for them as .pdf files.

There are few things that receive high praise from me but on a scale of
1-5 *'s this gets my ***** rating!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Thanks for the info Redhawk.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
ken999

[QUOTE=redhawk]However, if you are looking for mapping soiftware, the best and most accurate out there is National Geographics TOPO! series.[QUOTE]

Have you compared NG Topo! to Terrain Navigator? Is NG more accurate?
ken999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:41 AM   #4
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken999
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
However, if you are looking for mapping soiftware, the best and most accurate out there is National Geographics TOPO! series.
Have you compared NG Topo! to Terrain Navigator? Is NG more accurate?
I'll put it like this Ken. Every waypoint I inputted into my GPS field tested to within 20 feet.

I haven't used Terrain Navigator so perhaps my claim of Best is not fair. It's hard however to expect that TN could any MORE accurate, and I do love the way the NG maps print out. They use the actual 1:24000 USGS maps for their graphics.

I have played with the Demo version of Terrain navigator but obviously there is no way to field test the waypoints unless I go to Colorado.

If you have it and want to send me a copy to test and review I will certainly be happy to do so. I just can't afford to purchase every topo program out there for field testing.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 11-18-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
ken999

...gotcha...I thought maybe you were privy to some info that I hadn't heard of yet. My experience with the Terrain Navigator has proven it to be accurate and easy to use. I highly reccomend it.

Did you ever call tech support to address the accuracy issues you had earlier?
Old 11-18-2004, 12:48 PM   #6
Neil
Kayak-46

Redhawk, is there any point to owning the software if you don't have a GPS? I think that's what I was really trying to find out by my post on the mapping thread.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken999
...gotcha...I thought maybe you were privy to some info that I hadn't heard of yet. My experience with the Terrain Navigator has proven it to be accurate and easy to use. I highly reccomend it.

Did you ever call tech support to address the accuracy issues you had earlier?
I had reported it to DeLorme. I never heard back from them and I have yet to find anyone who has Version 5.0 which just came out to see if they corrected it.

I also sent an email to Garmin telling them that there coordinates were off.

Since I will just use Mapsource to primarily load maps into the Rino and depend on actual field tested or NG Topo coordinates I'm not too concerned. It does do a good job of that, which is primarily why I got it.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:55 PM   #8
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Redhawk, is there any point to owning the software if you don't have a GPS? I think that's what I was really trying to find out by my post on the mapping thread.
It gives you the topography for the wjole area covered (in this case all of new your state and New England and the ability to print out the maps with the area you want (which might cover say four corners of individual topo maps).

So yes, from my viewpoint I think there is a major advantage with it. It's a lot easier then plotting bearings over paper maps and the declination is built in. You can also make a route and then bring it up as a "profile" which will show you the grade, altitude gain, etc.

If you come to the Chrismas gathering, You can play with it on my puter and see for yourself.

I have to be pretty tight with my funds and I would not hesitate to purchase the NG Topo if I didn't have it!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:13 PM   #9
ken999

Redhawk- do the points loaded from NG fall on the screen of the Rhino where they are supposed to?