Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
georgecarr

Siamese Ponds question

My buddy and I are considering hiking/snowshoeing into the lean-to along the East Branch of the Sacangaga River this weekend. I was just wondering if anyone knew the trail conditions. We'll be heading in off hyw. 8. Thanks!
georgecarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I'd expect to need snowshoes, especially for the descent down the backside of 11th mountain. The climb up the south side of the mountain will probably have at least a few snow-free spots.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were the first people to head all the way into the lean-to this season.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
georgecarr

Awesome! Thanks DSettahr! Do you think I might have trouble dragging my pulk in, or are you thinking just spotty areas I can drag around?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

If it were me, I'd probably have everything in an overnight pack strapped to my pulk, which would allow me to make the decision at the trailhead. Assuming that conditions there are similar to up here in Saranac Lake, you'd probably be able to pull a pulk with only a few complications along the way.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
georgecarr

That's exactly what I was going to do. Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
georgecarr

when the wheels fall off the wagon

Aaaaarggg! Drove north 4 hours this morning - made it almost to Albany - when at a bathroom stop I noticed antifreeze leaking under my truck. Turned around and babied it home. Seems the water pump flew the coop. Hopefully I'll have a trip report in two weeks if the snow and weather cooperate. Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
marty53

Not sure if OP is still interested, but I was on this trail on Monday. Its very wet, with sections of snow on the trail. I brought snowshoes but never put them on because the snow was pretty well packed. Waters were high everywhere. Only went as far as Diamond brook (work related). The new bridge is really cool!

marty53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
georgecarr

Thanks

Marty53, thanks for the pics. My partner bailed on me for last weekend (some last minute obligations) so I decided to bag it for this year. That's all right, there'll be plenty of hiking this summer to take my mind off of snowshoeing, and the snow will be back again soon enough!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty53 View Post
Not sure if OP is still interested, but I was on this trail on Monday. Its very wet, with sections of snow on the trail. I brought snowshoes but never put them on because the snow was pretty well packed. Waters were high everywhere. Only went as far as Diamond brook (work related). The new bridge is really cool!

Wow, fancy bridge! Is that some Eagle Scout project or something?
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
Wow, fancy bridge! Is that some Eagle Scout project or something?
I believe that is a product of the STIS (Siamese Trail Improvement Society).