Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Other Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Early season car camping in the Ithaca/Watkins Glen area?

I'm in the process of planning a tentative gathering for a few friends who'd like to do some camping in the vicinity of Ithaca or Watkins Glen. I think car camping is the likely choice for overnight accommodations, as getting outdoors is the emphasis and there will be young kids involved. We're looking at maybe going in late April or early May, which is earlier than any of the state campgrounds in the area open.

Does anyone here know of any nicer private campgrounds in the Ithaca area that will be open by mid to late April? We'd prefer not to stay at a place that is essentially an RV trailer park if at all possible.

Renting a few cabins would also be a consideration if they were in a nice, somewhat rustic and natural setting (and relatively cheap).

I know that there's first-come, first-serve car camping on state land in the area, but our group may be a bit large (~15 people if everyone with an interest in attending actually comes). The rustic approach is an option if the group ends up being on the smaller side, but I'd like to have some ideas in place for accommodating everyone with an interest if possible.

Thanks in advance!
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
dockless
citizen

Check out: http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/37446.html

Sugar Hill State Forest is just up the hill from Watkins Glen (you can hear the fireworks), but it isn't open for camping till the third Monday in May when the water is turned on. Check with the ranger station for earlier dates.....to see if there's a gate blocking the camping area.

Used mainly by horse campers and has an area for RV and tent camping.
There's some really, really nice rigs that sleep four people and haul four horses.

This is where the NY State Archery competition takes place.
Fifteen people would be no problem at all............and it's free.

Last edited by dockless; 11-20-2017 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Spelling
dockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
dockless
citizen

There's also Finger Lakes National Forrest located between Ovid and Ithaca.

See: http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/gmfl...camping-cabins

and: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gmfl/...80784&actid=29

There's no water at all any time of year. None at all. There were modern pit toilets.

I recall eight to twelve campsites with fire rings and tables. Cost $10/night.

Contact the Rangers at the Hector Station about April: 1-607-546-4470
dockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockless View Post
There's also Finger Lakes National Forrest located between Ovid and Ithaca.

See: http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/gmfl...camping-cabins

and: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gmfl/...80784&actid=29

There's no water at all any time of year. None at all. There were modern pit toilets.

I recall eight to twelve campsites with fire rings and tables. Cost $10/night.

Contact the Rangers at the Hector Station about April: 1-607-546-4470
This is what I was going to recommend, although I've never stayed there. I drove in one afternoon and decided to go elsewhere but it was summer, and I had more options.

As I recall it was a self-serve permit and payment. The campsites are kind of crummy but mostly because they were packed in a smallish loop. If you are the only one there, it'll be fine.

I don't know of any private campgrounds in the area, but I'd have to imagine there are some near the racetrack. Might be worth a look. Hard to say if they'd be open that time of year anyway.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
BillyGr

No help on campgrounds but just an FYI - we were there April 20th (returning from out near Letchworth park, but being a Scout trip camped at a Scout camp) and the main trail that goes through Watkins Glen park was not yet open for the season.

They hadn't gotten an opportunity to check it for fallen/loose rocks from the winter yet.
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
jmitch

Trails can also be very muddy and wet during that time of year, particularly those in FLNF.

Connecticut Hill area has some nice trails.
jmitch is offline   Reply With Quote