Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #1
agmccall

Fishing Hudson River Gorge

Hi all

This Spring/Summer I am hoping to do some flyfishing up in the ADK's I am wondering about the Hudson River Gorge. Basically how long is the hike in. Would like to hike in and out in a day.

Also, does anyone know of any private campgrounds in the area or even the north creek area. I am not to fond of NY State Campgrounds. I have never been to one where the workers were not rude to me and my wife

Thanks

al
agmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
adkman12986

The state campsite in Newcomb is run by some great people I have camped there many times and not once have they ever been unpleasant. It's also very near the Hudson
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Bob K

Hudson Gorge access & Campgrounds

The gorge has limited access by foot & I don't know about fishing. The most popular trail is Blue Ledges a 2.5 mile hike from Northwoods Club Rd, a 7 mile drive (mostly dirt) W of rt 28N near Minerva. Moderate hike with perhaps 1/2 mile of river access. You won't likely be alone on weekends. Note that some commercial raft trips on the Hudson stop here so tranquility can be shattered by many people at once (for 30 minutes).

The newly opened OK Slip Falls trail (Rt 28) is 3.2 miles to the falls (from parking lot). There is a trail to the river from there (short but steep). I don't know about river access there. Worth seeing falls & surely less people at the river.

I think there is a private campground on Rt 28 (on S side of rd) either just N of North Creek or further W just up the hill after leaving the Hudson. Can't remember name or find on Maps.

FWIW, I've stayed at multiple NY State campgrounds and never had a bad staff encounter. Harris Lake (Newcomb) is a great location & considered above average for NY State. Many sites are close together from my one trip there.

Other Hudson access either upstream or downstream of the gorge require less walking, but no big walls to see. Blue Ledges worth seeing once & a nice place to swim in summer.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
bluequill

I would second the recommendation of Lake Harris in Newcomb. Quiet and nice campground personnel.

There are primitive campsites along the Boreas River where North Woods Club Rd crosses it. There is some great pocket water along this stretch of the Boreas also. No showers but there is a privy. The trail to Blue Ledge is just a couple of miles further down the road. The trail is a little more than two miles long...not a bad walk. This trail puts you on the upstream portion of the gorge. I'm not sure how the fishing is. Where did you have your sights set on?
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Second the recommendation to camp along the Boreas.

Dry fly fishing in the gorge can be good but it's a real scramble to walk along the shore and the water is pretty much un-wadeable,
Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
agmccall

thanks for all the responses. I was also thinking of the Boreas. Maybe I will just do a bit more research and find some spots on the hudson where it might be easier with more choices

al
agmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
PaulK

There's a few good options. If you are on twitter, send me a message @paulkalac

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmccall View Post
thanks for all the responses. I was also thinking of the Boreas. Maybe I will just do a bit more research and find some spots on the hudson where it might be easier with more choices

al
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
wildbrookies

My brother and I picked up a topo on that area and I mapped out a way to trek in way before the Blue Ledges TH. Its about halfway from the bridge of the Bouquet R. to the TH. and the Blue Ledges. Its a bushwhack but in the late fall it was easy. Followed a small feeder stream as we got to the rim of the gorge. It was pretty steep going down to the Hudson R. but we made it and we fished it all the way down to the RR tracks bridge. Caught a lot of rainbows/browns mix all between 9-14" and my brother hooked a nice big hooked jawed Brown over 20"...Nice,beautiful rugged area, be careful about where you place your feet, easy ankle breakers all around. Then, we hiked up the RR tracks and then up the road to my truck. About a 7 or 8 mile RT trek. Would`ve been a monster 11 miler starting at Blue Ledges.
Most of the trout were just hanging behind bigger than the average boulders. Good luck ,not a bad trek. Might need to be in some shape . Rough country in there. Planning wisely, we went after the rafting season was over. Which is important. I think most or all Rafters are done after Columbus Day.One more thing, I saw a narrowing of land on the topo between the dirt road and to the river and then I found a creek bed that followed in the direction down into the gorge,but the declination down into to the gorge is pretty interesting, a lot of tree grabbing..haha! btw, you should be able to see that on a topo yourself. It saves you a ton of hiking. But, the loop is quite large. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

WB

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Last edited by wildbrookies; 01-14-2018 at 01:51 PM..
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #9
wildbrookies

Uh, forgot, to mention ,the best flies that worked that day were mostly on bushy wet flies and bushy nymphs and smaller wooly buggers.. that took us by surprise.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote