Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #61
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Hawk,
I may have asked you this once before...
Have you been to this place where "the pot cleans itself" ?

The community name, Kanatsiohareke, is an old Mohawk word meaning "the place of the clean pot". This word refers to a section of a nearby creek that runs through Canajoharie to the Mohawk River. (Canajoharie is the non-Native pronunciation for Kanatsiohareke and is a town located 4 miles west of us.) It has a large, round, naturally formed pothole that was formed by water erosion.

The photo is in fact the very place referred to here.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #62
windsong781

Colvin's original name

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What was the original name of Colvin, and who gave it that name?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #63
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsong781 View Post
Colvin's original name

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What was the original name of Colvin, and who gave it that name?

This mountain is currently named for the most prominent individual in Adirondack history - but was given the name "Sabele" by Old Mountain Phelps and also briefly called "Sebille".

Phelps origionally named this peak for the Indian who discovered the ore at McIntyre. In 1873, Verplanck Colvin. superintendent of the Adirondack Survey ascended Mount Hurricane and inquired about the name of Sabele, which he could see to the west. His local guide said he believed it was nameless. On August 20th, they climbed it and later Colvin in his 1873 report claimed his guides named it for him. Phelps who was a friend of Colvin's, had no objection. Although critized for his egotism, insensitivity to the welfare of his men and failure to complete a map of the Adirondacks, Colvin pioneered efforts to establish the Adirondack State Park and a State Forest Preserve.

Source: Peaks and People of the Adirondacks, 1927m //russell Carson
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #64
ltrangerbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Would you know if "back in the day" rangers were ever assigned to Fire Towers as observers?

One of the differences, at least according to the source I quoted was that one of the women hiked an and out to the tower daily. The other woman evidently lived at the tower in the summer months.

And to pique my curiosity, what's the origin of the nickname "ltrangerbob"?
According to Marty Podskoch in his book "Adirondack Fire Towers Their History and Lore" he lists the tower "Observers" and then the forest rangers who supervised the tower.

The Observors were seasonal positions (during fire season). The towers had "Observers cabins" at a location near the tower that the observer could stay at to be near the tower.
I don't think their title was any different if they hiked in/out of the tower daily or if they stayed at the cabin.

As far as the nickname, just remember curiosity killed the cat!
ltrangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #65
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerbob View Post
As far as the nickname, just remember curiosity killed the cat!
And so do hawks.....
Old 02-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #66
windsong781

First named peak

What was the first named peak of the 46?

When was the first recorded ascent and by whom?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #67
redhawk

Quote:
First named peak

It gracefully stands sentinel on the northeastern corner of the park and is distinguished as being the first Adirondack High Peak to have a name.

At 4867 ft. the 5th highest summit, Whiteface, was known at one time as Thei-a-no-guen, and Indian name for "white head" and also Wa-ho-par-te-nie, an Algonquin name meaning "it is white." The 1st recorded ascent is credited to Professor Emmons, Sept. 20, 1836, and late in the century was a popular mountain to climb on horseback, or snowshoes or skies.

Source: Peaks and People of the Adirondacks, 1927m //russell Carson
Old 02-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #68
redhawk

Ok they're all answered.

Good job folks!!!

Want any more??
Old 02-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #69
Riosacandaga
soggy

Hawk,
Thank you for the Indigenous History lesson. The Adirondack history is interesting but the Indigenous History was very educational.
Cheers,
Mike
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:40 PM   #70
windsong781

Correct. I'm surprised, I thought that this would be one of the first questions answered.

Redhawk, this was an educated guess, based on the year in which Emmons made the first recorded ascent of Whiteface while surveying the land. It was hard to find any information while doing an online search with the words "first named ADK high peak".

Here are some things I learned about Whiteface and Esther though. In 2003, while ORDA was planning for the addition of more ski trails on Whiteface, Bicknell's thrush were observed for the first time in this area. It was noted that these migratory songbirds especially prefer "fir waves" which are found on both Whiteface and Esther. The Bicknell's thrush is listed as a species of special concern in NYS. This songbird overwinters in the Caribbean and they nest in the summer months in mountainous areas similar to Whiteface and Esther as well as in areas that are known to have dwarf pitch pine communities (which are very rare and found in places such as Mt. Everett in the Washington State Forest in MA). Perhaps the teenager Esther became lost while on her journey to summit Whiteface as a result of trying to find her way through these "fir waves" that the Bicknell's thrush love so much. Here's a link for more info on Whiteface and the Bicknell's thrush.

http://ny.audubon.org/news/060809.htm

Redhawk, there is so much interesting history out there. I am in favor of keeping this going, so to answer your final question "Want any more?" yes..keep it coming!
windsong781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #71
redhawk

Quote:

Redhawk, there is so much interesting history out there. I am in favor of keeping this going, so to answer your final question "Want any more?" yes..keep it coming!
Ok, I'm in the process of gathering some more tidbits and once I have them I'll post them if a few more people agree.

hawk
Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #72
search-rescue5-1

You are very knowledgeable about Indians, would like to attend one of your classes. Could take a small class to a actual site sometime that is local.
search-rescue5-1 is offline   Reply With Quote