Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #41
colden46

Things that could have prevented it from happening:

First and foremost, not letting the inexperienced group member travel by himself. Either by making sure someone is always with him/her, or by keeping the entire group closer together. If the guy was so inexperienced he couldn't even identify the junctions he was supposed to be stopping at, he shouldn't be traveling by himself. This is especially true in the winter conditions you described. By the way, how did the slow hiker get ahead of the group, anyway?

Second, by not allowing the group to go the whole way to the summit (and certainly not all the way back to the parking lot) before wondering where the other person went. Once there was a suspicion that he had wandered off the trail, the group should have stopped.

Third, by thumping the skull of the dead guy for losing the trail when there's snow on the ground. I mean, not being able to follow a snowshoe track in deep snow takes a special kind of stupid.

Fourth, by thumping the skull of the group for not seeing the snowshoe tracks going up the ski trail. These last two only apply in winter conditions, obviously.

Should anyone be held responsible? I don't know. I've been in a group where something similar happened -- no death, but someone did spend an unplanned night out in the woods -- but the lost hiker was experienced. Had he died, should we have been held responsible?

As for the lawsuit question, I'm not a lawyer, so I don't care to speculate.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #42
starzero
The Inquisitorial Botanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
One of the crew was an inexperienced novice and a slow hiker.

The group instructed the novice hiker to stop and wait at all junctions and had that hiker go first.

The novice got ahead of the rest of the group
What confuses me about the story is that -- the novice was slow and yet he got ahead of everyone else?

Another thing, the group got together over the Internet. Were any hikers designated as group leaders? If we assume that someone was in a leadership role then the obvious weakness in the group leaders plan was to allow the novice to go first in the hiking procession. The least that the group leaders could have done would have been to insure that the novice was always in contact with one of the more experienced hikers.

As to responsibility as I am not a lawyer I wont comment.
starzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #43
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
A group of hikers got together over the internet and prepared to head up the trail to an Adirondack 46er high peak.

The group instructed the novice hiker to stop and wait at all junctions and had that hiker go first.

The novice got ahead of the rest of the group and without being aware of it left the marked trail and followed a trail that skiers use to descend off of the mountain. There was an obvious sign that indicating that this trail did not lead to the summit.

The group remained on the marked trail and did not catch up to the slower novice and continued to the summit and re-descended the same trail back to the parking area.

The novice ascended the skiers' descent trail but wound up leaving that trail and floundered in very deep snow, became exhausted, soaked in sweat and probably became disoriented.

The body was flown out the next day.

What could have prevented this from happening?

Should anyone be held responsible?

Are there grounds for a lawsuit?
Yes

Quote:
If yes, who would be sued?
You, for such a lame attempt at sarcasm
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #44
Neil
Kayak-46

How the slower hiker got ahead of the group is a bit of a mystery. The group was quite large though and had other relatively inexperienced hikers within it.

The group had insisted (more than once) that the hiker wait at the junction but didn't consider the ski trail as a junction. No one considered taking that route to be a possibility.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #45
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
A group of hikers got together over the internet and prepared to head up the trail to an Adirondack 46er high peak.

The novice got ahead of the rest of the group and without being aware of it left the marked trail and followed a trail that skiers use to descend off of the mountain. There was an obvious sign that indicating that this trail did not lead to the summit.

The group remained on the marked trail and did not catch up to the slower novice and continued to the summit and re-descended the same trail back to the parking area.

The novice ascended the skiers' descent trail
This part of my post was 100% true. I made the rest up to sound out opinions re: responsibility.

Would anyone like to know what really happened?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #46
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:

Would anyone like to know what really happened?
naturally...

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #47
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
naturally...
In that case I'll tell you all about it over a plate of fire fish and a pitcher of 46er Pale Ale next time we're at the LPB&B.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #48
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
In that case I'll tell you all about it over a plate of fire fish and a pitcher of 46er Pale Ale next time we're at the LPB&B.
Deal...

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #49
colden46

What about me?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #50
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by colden46 View Post
What about me?
You're buying.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #51
colden46

Well in that case, I like Ubu Ale better.