Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #21
Growly Bear
The Original Adirondacker

Is the story about how my uncle Snarly saved the lost human child from the cougar, in the book? This took place about 20 years ago near Polaris mountain.
but Bears are all three!
Growly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #22
Ordin Aryguy
or∑di∑nar∑y

Finished the last few pages of the book last night. Completion was a long time coming. Started reading it a month ago and could only seem to get through a few pages before I'd have to set it down.

As a compilation of Adirondack-centric strories goes, I'll give this one a good rating. For the author's writing style, ahhh, not so much.

No one else mentioned taking issue with the style in which it was written, it just wasn't for me. Just as Henry Rollins' writing style probably isn't likely to excite many of you in the way that I enjoy his works. To each their own.

The one thing that I did take away from the book was how incredibly simple it is to get into a bind out in the woods. One or two seemingly inconsequential choices can easily become anything but inconsequential. We've all likely made some of those very same choices on our journeys and not ended up becoming a chapter in a book. Sometimes it's just a matter of timing, or intuition, or plain luck.

Ordin
Old 05-09-2008, 05:10 AM   #23
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordin Aryguy View Post
The one thing that I did take away from the book was how incredibly simple it is to get into a bind out in the woods. One or two seemingly inconsequential choices can easily become anything but inconsequential. We've all likely made some of those very same choices on our journeys and not ended up becoming a chapter in a book. Sometimes it's just a matter of timing, or intuition, or plain luck.
Ordin
Have to agree with that part...if you liked that part from the book, take a look at Lost in the Woods...it's a story of two different guys who got lost in the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area in Minnesota...it was a really good book, and from that, there are items I'll never NOT have with me at any given time in the woods.

Scott

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #24
Ordin Aryguy
or∑di∑nar∑y

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Have to agree with that part...if you liked that part from the book, take a look at Lost in the Woods...it's a story of two different guys who got lost in the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area in Minnesota...it was a really good book, and from that, there are items I'll never NOT have with me at any given time in the woods.

Scott
W'Warlock,
Lost in the Woods is a pretty good book from a writing perspective. I enjoyed that one immensely, actually. The concurrent story lines was a little hard to follow initially but I got used to it.

From someone that's had a couple nights out that weren't planned, having few essentials can change what is a rather uncomfortable 10 hours into just another camp out. For years I was ashamed to admit that I'd screwed up twice and had to spend the night out unplanned. No more. I've come to grips with it and if someone will listen to my stupid mistake and not make the same one themselves, that'd be a good thing. In both cases, a flashlight and a compass would have prevented my idiot maneuver. Both times I was withing a mile of my truck and couldn't figure out which way to go to get myself out in moonless nights. Spending a night out in the northern reaches of the Everglades without some form of rain and bug protection isn't anything I'd wish on anyone.

If anything comes from At The Mercy Of The Montains, it's that bad things sometimes happen. Mother Nature has her say in things sometimes, but most times its the human creature that causes their own situations, both good and bad.

Ordin
Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #25
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

And a whistle...clearly saved the one hikers life in Lost in the Woods.

Went to college in Florida, so I know what you mean about the 'Glades...bugs there can carry you away (if the gators don't first!)

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #26
Ms Guided

ditto

Quote:
Finished the last few pages of the book last night. Completion was a long time coming. Started reading it a month ago and could only seem to get through a few pages before I'd have to set it down.

As a compilation of Adirondack-centric strories goes, I'll give this one a good rating. For the author's writing style, ahhh, not so much.

No one else mentioned taking issue with the style in which it was written, it just wasn't for me. Just as Henry Rollins' writing style probably isn't likely to excite many of you in the way that I enjoy his works. To each their own.

Ordin
I agree that the style didn't entice me to finish it. After starting it about a month ago, I ended up dropping it for a book on knitting.............

Can't really say I learned anything from the book that isn't common sense - maybe I learned that it is easy to skip doing the sensible thing if things start piling up against you?
Ms Guided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #27
Tuchov
Pirate

I picked it up before work and read some of it on lunch. I thought it was pretty damn good! I like the section of random tidbits about the 'dacks in the preface (3mm per year growth for example). The Calamity Pond part was nicely done too, a detailed paragraph; I hear the same tale told in almost every book I've read about the Adirondack History... they should put it on a flyer and hand them out at trailheads... eesh [not that I don't care, but they keep telling the same tale over and over whereas theres so much more that can be told about the region then one guy accidentally shooting himself].

I'm gonna go read another chapter or two, then head to bed. Later everyone.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #28
Bill I.

A message from Peter Bronski

Today I received an email from Peter Bronski, author of At the Mercy of the Mountains, asking me to post the following message here on the forum:

Quote:
Hello. My name is Pete Bronski. Iím the author of At the Mercy of the Mountains: True Stories of Survival and Tragedy in New Yorkís Mountains. Over the course of the last year, Iíve received quite a bit of feedback from readers and reviewers about the book. Many have enjoyed it. Some have criticized it (as is their right to do). But Iím writing in reference to corrections to some inaccuracies contained in the book (mostly caught by highly knowledgeable and astute readers). Iíve been keeping a catalog of corrections (which will be incorporated into a future edition of the book). In the meantime, Iíve posted the corrections on my website here:

http://www.peterbronski.com/Writing/...nsUpdates.html

Iíve read a few discussion threads that have mentioned the book, including on www.adkforum.com. However, because Iím not a ďmember,Ē Iím unable to post to the forum. Iím writing you in the hopes that you might pass along my note and the corresponding website to the forumís readers. I know that some of the forumís posters have wondered about what factual inaccuracies are contained within the book. To the best of my knowledge, the list of corrections on my website is complete. I also would like to encourage the forumís readers to contact me directly with any additional corrections they may find. Iím committed to making the book as accurate as possible, and will keep the website list updated as needed (though hopefully all the minor inaccuracies have been rooted out by nowÖ).
For anyone who might wish to contact Mr. Bronski in person, I believe you will find his contact information on his website.

I hope all you other people dwelling in the greater Adirondack region/North Country are enjoying this April snow. Why, oh why, couldn't we have gotten this in March when it would've been useful?

Best regards,

B. Ingersoll
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #29
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
Today I received an email from Peter Bronski, author of At the Mercy of the Mountains, asking me to post the following message here on the forum:

For anyone who might wish to contact Mr. Bronski in person, I believe you will find his contact information on his website.

I hope all you other people dwelling in the greater Adirondack region/North Country are enjoying this April snow. Why, oh why, couldn't we have gotten this in March when it would've been useful?

Best regards,

B. Ingersoll
That's very nice to hear, thanks for passing this along!! I'll cross-post this some other places!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #30
Mavs00
I am the sith

Thanks for the post Bill, great stuff.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:08 AM   #31
eArThworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Have to agree with that part...if you liked that part from the book, take a look at Lost in the Woods...it's a story of two different guys who got lost in the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area in Minnesota...
I can't seem to find that book listed by title. Who's the author? When was it written?

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #32
Trailpatrol

Actually, it's "Lost in the Wild" by Cary Griffith, available on Amazon.

Hans "Lost in Minnesota"
Old 04-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #33
eArThworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailpatrol View Post
Actually, it's "Lost in the Wild" by Cary Griffith, available on Amazon....
Got it! Thanks.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #34
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:

I agree. I thought that At the Mercy of the Mountains could have been better written, which is a shame because I had been looking forwards to it when I first heard it was coming out. I didn't like how many of the outcomes of each of the stories were revealed at the beginning of the chapter, and additionally, I think some of the facts and portrayals of people involved aren't accurate.

Not Without Peril, by Nicholas Howe, a similar book about misadventure in the White Mountains is a much better read. Also, another book that is good about the nature of accidents is Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. Both are far superior in quality and content to At the Mercy of the Mountains.

Last edited by DSettahr; 08-11-2015 at 03:52 AM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote