Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
podolecgb

Haunted Giant Mountain campsite

OK, so I have stayed at this campsite that is at the bottom of roaring brook falls a few times now. I was told its haunted. Any stories on this? I heard something about 2 boys that fell from the falls overlook.
podolecgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Lute Hawkins

Not familiar with this story, but my advice is never to initiate spiritual contact "just out of curiosity". Not all spirits are bound to a location, and they could follow you home if they discover they can somehow communicate with, or through, you. Worse, something sinister could follow them to your home as well...
Lute Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
AdRegion
TourPro

I'm haunted by Deer Fly bites that I brought back from the weekend.
AdRegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

I am haunted by waters....

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
I am haunted by waters....
Didn't that line come from''A River Runs Through it?'' Looncry

ps I own the movie.....

Last edited by looncry; 08-11-2009 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: explain
Old 08-11-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by looncry View Post
Didn't that line come from''A River Runs Through it?'' Looncry

ps I own the movie.....
Yep - last line of the book....

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Hawkins View Post
Not familiar with this story, but my advice is never to initiate spiritual contact "just out of curiosity". Not all spirits are bound to a location, and they could follow you home if they discover they can somehow communicate with, or through, you. Worse, something sinister could follow them to your home as well...
Lute,
You sure seem to take the spiritual world rather seriously.
Judging from a few of your posts about certain areas in the Moose River Plains and Mt Tom, and your little 'spiritual mini-totems', you must have a good ghost story to tell ...don't you?

I watch "Ghost Hunters", I'm a believer!

Growing up in my parents house, which was built in 1898 (I think), I have experienced some very un-explainable things during the 15+ years I lived there. I usually always just dismissed it as "Oh that's nothing, it's just Flo."
Flo (Florence) is the old lady that past away in my old bedroom a few years before my parents bought the house. Flo is definitely not a bad ghost, but every now and again, I still have one of those crazy weird dreams where I'm back in that house and there's some crazy spiritual activity going on.

Paddlewheel might be able to tell you more about Flo, after all, he still lives in that house!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
Lute Hawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Lute,
You sure seem to take the spiritual world rather seriously.
Judging from a few of your posts about certain areas in the Moose River Plains and Mt Tom, and your little 'spiritual mini-totems', you must have a good ghost story to tell ...don't you?

I watch "Ghost Hunters", I'm a believer!

Growing up in my parents house, which was built in 1898 (I think), I have experienced some very un-explainable things during the 15+ years I lived there. I usually always just dismissed it as "Oh that's nothing, it's just Flo."
Flo (Florence) is the old lady that past away in my old bedroom a few years before my parents bought the house. Flo is definitely not a bad ghost, but every now and again, I still have one of those crazy weird dreams where I'm back in that house and there's some crazy spiritual activity going on.

Paddlewheel might be able to tell you more about Flo, after all, he still lives in that house!
Hell, Justin, I'm scared sh!t of this stuff! The only reason I look into it, is so I know how to avoid it, and which places to avoid. I created my line of spiritual mini-totems in the hopes they ward off anything before I can see it. So far I haven't had any complaints of failure by users of my totems.

Your "Flo" spirit reminds me of something really stupid I did once in my early teen years...all the more dangerous since I was a regular churchgoer and should have known better.

I was probably watching too many spook/devil movies at the time, and I guess out of curiosity, I decided to play "spirit man". I painted a candle black and placed it on a piece of paper on which I drew something similiar to the Led Zeppelin "ZOFO" symbols. I turned off all the lights and lit the candle. As I was babbling some stupid nonsense along the lines of "spirits, I summon you to enter my realm...", I felt a very, very cold breeze blow against me. At the time, we were going through a heatwave; the basement windows were closed, and the outside air was dead calm...so it occured to me quite quickly that this cold breeze came from out of nowhere. Well, it scared the crap out of me...what was I thinking? I thought this only happened in Hollywood movies. I apologized to God, destroyed the candle, went back upstairs to where Mom and Dad were, and never did it again.
Lute Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Hawkins View Post
Hell, Justin, I'm scared sh!t of this stuff! The only reason I look into it, is so I know how to avoid it, and which places to avoid. I created my line of spiritual mini-totems in the hopes they ward off anything before I can see it. So far I haven't had any complaints of failure by users of my totems.

Your "Flo" spirit reminds me of something really stupid I did once in my early teen years...all the more dangerous since I was a regular churchgoer and should have known better.

I was probably watching too many spook/devil movies at the time, and I guess out of curiosity, I decided to play "spirit man". I painted a candle black and placed it on a piece of paper on which I drew something similiar to the Led Zeppelin "ZOFO" symbols. I turned off all the lights and lit the candle. As I was babbling some stupid nonsense along the lines of "spirits, I summon you to enter my realm...", I felt a very, very cold breeze blow against me. At the time, we were going through a heatwave; the basement windows were closed, and the outside air was dead calm...so it occured to me quite quickly that this cold breeze came from out of nowhere. Well, it scared the crap out of me...what was I thinking? I thought this only happened in Hollywood movies. I apologized to God, destroyed the candle, went back upstairs to where Mom and Dad were, and never did it again.
Wow, that's quite a story Lute!
Thanks!
That story kind of reminds me when I was about 8 years old playing "Ouija Board" alone in Flo's old bedroom.

Never did that again either!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Wow, that's quite a story Lute!
Thanks!
That story kind of reminds me when I was about 8 years old playing "Ouija Board" alone in Flo's old bedroom.

Never did that again either!
Now this is getting interesting.

I grew up in an old haunted house. Once we saw "people" walking past the windows and would hear footsteps, upstairs even though we were alone.
Several ghostly stories, a couple my mother would tell as well.
The old house burnt when I was 16 and my parents rebuilt. In some ways I miss it but in others I don't.

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
WinterWarlock

First house I bought in Rochester was built in 1912 - every time I did a project in the house, I'd look over my shoulder and see an older couple scrambling away. Finally one day I changed out an old light fixture - looked over and saw 'them' again...they looked at each other, smiled and disappeared forever - never saw them again after that.

My next house was even worse...saw an older woman in a grey shawl at least once a week...my daughter even thought someone woke her up one day (even said her ponytail was 'flipped') and she saw someone as well. At that time, my wife's mother had recently passed away, and to this day we both believe it was her keeping an eye on us.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

I had a scary experience with a Ouija board once with my bro-in-law.

We immediately tried to burn the board, but it would not burn.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
podolecgb

So the story behind it for me. I have stayed in this campsite a few times now. I like it because it’s pretty and not heavily used. On the forth of July this year I went with a few friends and stayed in this campsite again. Again everyone in the party was fine. Nothing weird happened.

Two of my friends live about two hours from the park and know a few 46’s. When telling them of their adventures on this trip they said that we stayed at the campsite at the bottom of the falls. They said their friends reacted with “You actually stayed the night in that camp site?” My friends were then told of stories of all the people that attempted to stay at the site and the supernatural events that happened there. Supposedly there were 2 brothers that fell over the ledge of the falls to their deaths and now roam the area under the falls. Multiple people who have stayed in this campsite tell stories of nights of being tormented by these wayward spirits. No real detail on what tormented meant but the 46er telling this story refuses to stay at this site.

I don’t live in the area so I don’t have access to actual records. I have never had anything ghostly happen to me in this site. When reading the trail book about the roaring brook trail it does mention taking caution when taking the trail that leads to the overlook of the falls and that there were “several serious accidents”. Sounds like a polite way of saying a few people have fallen 100 feet to their deaths. Figure I would take this story to the forum and see who else has stayed in this campsite or if anyone has heard any of these stories.

Last edited by podolecgb; 08-14-2009 at 05:55 PM..
Old 09-28-2009, 02:41 AM   #14
mapscannotcontainme

Quote:
Originally Posted by podolecgb View Post
So the story behind it for me. I have stayed in this campsite a few times now. I like it because it’s pretty and not heavily used. On the forth of July this year I went with a few friends and stayed in this campsite again. Again everyone in the party was fine. Nothing weird happened.

Two of my friends live about two hours from the park and know a few 46’s. When telling them of their adventures on this trip they said that we stayed at the campsite at the bottom of the falls. They said their friends reacted with “You actually stayed the night in that camp site?” My friends were then told of stories of all the people that attempted to stay at the site and the supernatural events that happened there. Supposedly there were 2 brothers that fell over the ledge of the falls to their deaths and now roam the area under the falls. Multiple people who have stayed in this campsite tell stories of nights of being tormented by these wayward spirits. No real detail on what tormented meant but the 46er telling this story refuses to stay at this site.

I don’t live in the area so I don’t have access to actual records. I have never had anything ghostly happen to me in this site. When reading the trail book about the roaring brook trail it does mention taking caution when taking the trail that leads to the overlook of the falls and that there were “several serious accidents”. Sounds like a polite way of saying a few people have fallen 100 feet to their deaths. Figure I would take this story to the forum and see who else has stayed in this campsite or if anyone has heard any of these stories.
I have actually put together a mini-extended history of accidents and important notes on Giant Mountain. My goal in the next couple of months or so is to put together a website with a somewhat comprehensive history of each of the High Peaks including hiking accidents, trail construction data, geological survey data, first and notable summits, first ascents of rock climbing routes, landslides, aviation crashes, etc.

So far I have more information on Giant than any other mountain and the Giant Mountain wilderness has certainly claimed its share of lives. I'd be willing to bet that more people might have actually died on Giant than any other High Peak, save for maybe Marcy (which attracts so many people as a result of its distinction as the highest) and Whiteface (most of its deaths have been skiing related).

In terms of Roaring Brook Falls deaths:

1970: On July 8th, 1970 hiker Harvey Dearstyne, 16, of Glens Falls (NY) fell to his death at Roaring Brook Falls at the base of Giant Mountain. The cause of death was a fractured neck and skull. Almost three years to the day later, a similar incident would occur at Roaring Brook Falls again.

1973: On July 6th, 1973, hiker Jerry Ornsby, 8, of Pittsford (NY) fell four hundred feet, the entire length of Roaring Brook falls to his death at the base of Giant Mountain. It was the second such death at the falls just inside of three years.

So at least two people are known to have died from falling off Roaring Brook Falls, but I'm almost sure more have.

Other deaths include Eric Engler and Adam Michalski. Engler was a young boy who collapsed near the Roaring Brook - Zander Scott junction on the trail in the early 1990s on the trail where there is a memorial cross still there bearing his name. Michalski was a hunter, probably not anywhere near the trails but was somewhere in the wilderness hunting in the early 1950s when he collapsed due to heart trouble.

So if any sites are haunted, there are some potential reasons why.
- Bob Dylan, Things Have Changed
mapscannotcontainme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:44 AM   #15
mapscannotcontainme

Roaring Brook/Giant Mountain Deaths

If anyone has any relevant information to accidents or noteable events on any of the Adirondack High Peaks, please PM me with information and a source.
- Bob Dylan, Things Have Changed
mapscannotcontainme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
wiiawiwb

No such thing as ghosts.

wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #17
Avacal

non believer but........

I did live in a house where the bath faucets would turn on anywhere from 1 minute to hours later after going to bed. The only problem I had with that is that the faucet had turn knobs (and were always turned on as high as they could go) and not levers. Levers I could see potentially slipping on but turn knobs....I don't know about that. Then there was a spot on our living room floor that would aquire weird things. One day I would come home and find every piece of footware piled up high (even ones that were behind closed closet doors). Another time the cupboard that contained all the tupperware was emptied out and stacked on the same spot. The 3rd time it happend it was all the stuff from the dry-goods pantry (flour,pastas and baking supplies) again piled or stacked on the same spot. Another thing that would happen is the dog and cat would always get fed if we were out late. We then put the dog food in a spare bedroom closet with the room and closet door closed before we left, only to come home and find both doors opened the the new 50lb bag opened at the top!! The other thing I did to try and prevent the animals from getting into the food was to put the catfood in a glass applesauce jar and store it in the cupboard above the stove. Came home that night to find the cupboard door open the lid to the jar on the stove and the large glass jar unbroken on the floor.....pets fed again! The last weird thing was getting ready to go to a picnic with 2 1/2 dozen chocolate cookies. I set them on the table for less than a minute to grab something, came back out and the plate was clean with the dog acting very strange. The very last thing to happen was ......we moved out. We found out that both of the elderly parents died in the house.

Avacal
Avacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #18
Emily T
WMass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avacal View Post
I did live in a house where the bath faucets would turn on anywhere from 1 minute to hours later after going to bed. The only problem I had with that is that the faucet had turn knobs (and were always turned on as high as they could go) and not levers. Levers I could see potentially slipping on but turn knobs....I don't know about that. Then there was a spot on our living room floor that would aquire weird things. One day I would come home and find every piece of footware piled up high (even ones that were behind closed closet doors). Another time the cupboard that contained all the tupperware was emptied out and stacked on the same spot. The 3rd time it happend it was all the stuff from the dry-goods pantry (flour,pastas and baking supplies) again piled or stacked on the same spot. Another thing that would happen is the dog and cat would always get fed if we were out late. We then put the dog food in a spare bedroom closet with the room and closet door closed before we left, only to come home and find both doors opened the the new 50lb bag opened at the top!! The other thing I did to try and prevent the animals from getting into the food was to put the catfood in a glass applesauce jar and store it in the cupboard above the stove. Came home that night to find the cupboard door open the lid to the jar on the stove and the large glass jar unbroken on the floor.....pets fed again! The last weird thing was getting ready to go to a picnic with 2 1/2 dozen chocolate cookies. I set them on the table for less than a minute to grab something, came back out and the plate was clean with the dog acting very strange. The very last thing to happen was ......we moved out. We found out that both of the elderly parents died in the house.
...and you're a NON-believer???

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
-- Mark Twain
Emily T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #19
Dick
somewhere out there...

No such thing as ghosts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghostbusters_1.jpg (18.3 KB, 402 views)
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
podolecgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapscannotcontainme View Post
I have actually put together a mini-extended history of accidents and important notes on Giant Mountain. My goal in the next couple of months or so is to put together a website with a somewhat comprehensive history of each of the High Peaks including hiking accidents, trail construction data, geological survey data, first and notable summits, first ascents of rock climbing routes, landslides, aviation crashes, etc.

So far I have more information on Giant than any other mountain and the Giant Mountain wilderness has certainly claimed its share of lives. I'd be willing to bet that more people might have actually died on Giant than any other High Peak, save for maybe Marcy (which attracts so many people as a result of its distinction as the highest) and Whiteface (most of its deaths have been skiing related).

In terms of Roaring Brook Falls deaths:

1970: On July 8th, 1970 hiker Harvey Dearstyne, 16, of Glens Falls (NY) fell to his death at Roaring Brook Falls at the base of Giant Mountain. The cause of death was a fractured neck and skull. Almost three years to the day later, a similar incident would occur at Roaring Brook Falls again.

1973: On July 6th, 1973, hiker Jerry Ornsby, 8, of Pittsford (NY) fell four hundred feet, the entire length of Roaring Brook falls to his death at the base of Giant Mountain. It was the second such death at the falls just inside of three years.

So at least two people are known to have died from falling off Roaring Brook Falls, but I'm almost sure more have.

Other deaths include Eric Engler and Adam Michalski. Engler was a young boy who collapsed near the Roaring Brook - Zander Scott junction on the trail in the early 1990s on the trail where there is a memorial cross still there bearing his name. Michalski was a hunter, probably not anywhere near the trails but was somewhere in the wilderness hunting in the early 1950s when he collapsed due to heart trouble.

So if any sites are haunted, there are some potential reasons why.
That’s freaken creepy!!! I thought it was BS. I have stayed at the campsite a few times and nothing. Now I am wondering if the rustling in the trees was really something more but how would I ever know, it is the woods. How many people have died on Giant mountain that you know about?