Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2004, 10:23 AM   #41
Dick
somewhere out there...

Shaggy,

I'm not sure about the origin, but there was this small discussion on VFTT a couple of months ago:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...hp/t-3645.html

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #42
mike1889
wish I was in the Adks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy
Does anybody know how Sheppard's Tooth got it's name? that name has always made me wonder, it just seem's so obscure to me. Is that profile what your tooth looks like if you eat to much Sheppard's Pie??

shaggy
The answer is at this link. I am too lazy to retype this! I believe Bonzo Cerrizzi is Don Greene, 46er #1949 and major contributor to McMartin's Discover the Adirondack High Peaks.

Last edited by mike1889; 12-05-2004 at 02:44 PM..
mike1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:10 PM   #43
Mavs00
I am the sith

Thanks Mike, that was interesting and something I didn't know.

Here's another lesser-known tidbit to go at. When Bob Marshall died in 1939, the 46ers of Troy initially wanted to name a different peak (not the current Marshall) to honor him. The peak was known only by a local name. The name Marshall actually began to be used/accepted by the hiking community of the time and it wasn't till a few years later that it was learned that the peak had already been named (by the State Conservation Dept.) in 1935. The 46ers had petitioned to change this peak, Emmons and Cousachraga together and ultimately decided to drop the "Marshall" effort and only push forward on the other two (and were successful of course). The effort was then moved to the McIntyre Range which was referenced earlier in this thread.

Which peak was the "attempt to rename" unsuccessful on? (Bonus: what was the local name it was known was?)
Mavs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:39 PM   #44
mike1889
wish I was in the Adks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00
Here's another lesser-known tidbit to go at. When Bob Marshall died in 1939, the 46ers of Troy initially wanted to name a different peak (not the current Marshall) to honor him. The peak was known only by a local name. The name Marshall actually began to be used/accepted by the hiking community of the time and it wasn't till a few years later that it was learned that the peak had already been named (by the State Conservation Dept.) in 1935. The 46ers had petitioned to change this peak, Emmons and Cousachraga together and ultimately decided to drop the "Marshall" effort and only push forward on the other two (and were successful of course). The effort was then moved to the McIntyre Range which was referenced earlier in this thread.

Which peak was the "attempt to rename" unsuccessful on? (Bonus: what was the local name it was known was?)
Hough. Local name(s) were Cone, Little Dix, and Middle Dix.
mike1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:26 PM   #45
Mavs00
I am the sith

Well Done

Middle Dix was the bonus answer I was looking for (never even heard of the Cone name). You guys know your stuff
Old 12-05-2004, 05:00 PM   #46
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick

Rist = Reuben Rist?
Cheney Cobble = John Cheney?
(both ADK hunters)
So Tim, what's the answer to the naming of Rist and Cheney Cobble?

Dick
Old 12-05-2004, 05:43 PM   #47
Mavs00
I am the sith

Dick, as you are the master, Who am I to question you

You are correct, and this is some pretty obscure stuff here. for background.

John Cheney was actually a hunter & guide in the same vain and stature as his freind "Old Mountain" Phelps. Cheney Cobble is a very impressive, yet RARELY VISITED peak near Allen Mt.

Rueben Rist, was actually a lumbermen that was one of the original settlers in the Indian Lake region, near the North River area. Hence Rist, is the prominant peak in the North River Range, which is near Allen and the Upper Works area.

Here's a photo of these two underated, ADK 100 highest peaks. The pic is from Adams and Cheney is the nub on the left, while Rist is the higher summit to right (center of the peak).

(Anyone interested in an ugly 2-3 day bushwhack to these 2 peaks next year? PM me. BTW, probably less the a hundred have ever been to the summit of either. I'm going for sure )

Last edited by Mavs00; 12-06-2004 at 01:04 AM..
Old 12-05-2004, 08:19 PM   #48
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Whats the elevation gain Tim? How steep?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:29 PM   #49
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
Whats the elevation gain Tim? How steep?
Redhawk,

Here is some info:
http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=6062
http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=6060

The home page for this site:

http://www.peakbagger.com/

Dick
Old 12-06-2004, 10:07 AM   #50
Rik
H-E-R-O

Mavs,
Maybe you could tell us who this "Blue Ridge" guy is. He seems to have several mountains named after him.
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:31 AM   #51
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik
Mavs,
Maybe you could tell us who this "Blue Ridge" guy is. He seems to have several mountains named after him.
Ivan "Blue Ridge" Stepanski, aka "Ivan the Stupid"

He's the guy who Lost all those Lakes you see on the maps!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 12-06-2004, 11:38 AM   #52
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:

Is he the one that threw all the rocks and mud into all those other lakes?

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:10 PM   #53
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:

And of course, we should all know that Ivan was the bastard child of Gloria Bear and Alexander Moose, who spent much of the late 1800's, sneaking to the summits of the various Bear or Moose Mountians (or Peak, or Cobble, or even Hill) in order to have some privacy.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #54
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Gloria Bear had a half brother that was a lumberjack that went by the nickname of "Spruce," after the type of tree he liked to chop down. Like his half sister, he liked to sneak off to various unnamed summits. Upon reaching the top he would name the mountains after himself.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:38 PM   #55
Mavs00
I am the sith

.................. another well know fact was that Alex would often call gloria by her pet name, "kitten". Hmmmmmm, guess that explains the plethera of "Catamount Peaks" in the area.

Whoooops, Can we say that here?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:52 PM   #56
redhawk

WOW!! What a great transition from Historical to Hysterical!!

Hey Kev, still think this category might be too dry or boring??
Old 07-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #57
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac
Algonquin was once named Mount MacInyre.

I remember read somewhere (I can't remember where) that there is a little bit of a controversy over the claim that Mount Marcy was known as Tahawus. It said that it did get the Tahawus name until after the name Marcy was already given, stating that local Indian tribes didn't have a name for the mountain.
"Tahawus" which is an indian name meaning "Cloud Splitter" was used by writer Charles fenno Hoffman as an alternate name for Mount Marcy.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:33 AM   #58
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1889
Hough. Local name(s) were Cone, Little Dix, and Middle Dix.
Hough had five names and was also known as Marshall as well. Then finally Hough in 1937.
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:36 AM   #59
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
"Tahawus" which is an indian name meaning "Cloud Splitter" was used by writer Charles fenno Hoffman as an alternate name for Mount Marcy.
Charles Hoffman called it Tahawus an Iroquios word meaning "it cleaves the sky."
Old 07-09-2005, 08:11 AM   #60
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

What was another name for Rocky Peak (hint) referring to relationship with Giant?
This Mountain had three other names, what were they?

Also:
What was the name, Sawteeth was originally known as?