Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #61
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclimber2971w
Charles Hoffman called it Tahawus an Iroquios word meaning "it cleaves the sky."
I'll have to check Marta, but I think the word is actaully from one of the Algonquin speaking tribes, maybe Abanaki or Penobscot.

Neither the Mohawk, Oneida, Onadaga nor Seneca acquaintances of mine recognize the word.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #62
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
I'll have to check Marta, but I think the word is actaully from one of the Algonquin speaking tribes, maybe Abanaki or Penobscot.

Neither the Mohawk, Oneida, Onadaga nor Seneca acquaintances of mine recognize the word.
I used my "Hiker Bibles" to refer to the meaning of "Tahawus." Two "Bibles" say this is the meaning, from the Iroquios Indians, "it cleaves the sky." The third "Bible" says the meaning being, "Cleaver of the Clouds," in the language of the Seneca Indians.

The Abenaki Indians of the Algonquin Nation had a word for it meaning "White Mountain."

The Native Americans meaning of "Tahawus" is however "Cloud Splitter."

Last edited by Skyclimber; 07-09-2005 at 12:50 PM..
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:51 PM   #63
Hakuna Matada

Rocky Peak was refered to as Giant's Wife, although I don't know how official that name ever was.
Hakuna Matada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #64
redhawk

Quote:
I used my "Hiker Bibles" to refer to the meaning of "Tahawus." Two "Bibles" say this is the meaning, from the Iroquios Indians, "it cleaves the sky." The third "Bible" says the meaning being, "Cleaver of the Clouds," in the language of the Seneca Indians.

The Abenaki Indians of the Algonquin Nation had a word for it meaning "White Mountain."

The Native Americans meaning of "Tahawus" is however "Cloud Splitter."
Seneca are part of the iroquois confederacy but my Seneca friend does not recognize the word. I'll have to research this further. I'm trying to get in touch with my friend Elie who is the youngest (61 years old) speaker of the Abaniki lanquage. he is familiar with most of the iriquois and other dialects as well.

As far as Seneca goes, Santanoni was supposedly name by Alfred Street from the Seneca phrase "Si-non-do-wanne" which means "Great Hill"
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 07-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #65
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
As far as Seneca goes, Santanoni was supposedly name by Alfred Street from the Seneca phrase "Si-non-do-wanne" which means "Great Hill"
I always thought Santanoni was a distortion of St. Anthony?
Old 07-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #66
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik
I always thought Santanoni was a distortion of St. Anthony?
That is the commonly accepted theory, that it was a bastardization of words Saint Anthony, who is the patron saint of the St. Regis and Abenaki peoples, who were converted to christianity by the French Canadians. These tribes were found further north (St. Regis) and East (Abenaki) and so it's kinda unclear who used it and when.

While the particular origin may be fuzzy, the present name of the peak definitely appeared on a map of the region published in 1938 by William Redfield. The name has remained since.

Hawk's Seneca language reference may in fact be true, but I'm not sure the Alfred B. Street reference is correct. It doesn't seem plausible because, at the time that map came out, Street was still practicing law in Monticello, NY. He took up writing later and it wasn't til 1860 that he wrote about any Adirondack topics, and it was 1869 that he wrote his famous work "The Indian Pass".

Verplank Colvin named Street Mountain to honor his friend for that contribution and work.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:36 PM   #67
Pete_Hickey

Altough many know, maybe everyone is not aware that the University of New Hampshire scanned scores of old USGS maps. Check out the old (1904) santanoni quadrangle (I'm sure many of you have the 1953 one:

http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/Santanoni.htm

And the 1895 one of Marcy

http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/MountMarcy.htm

Note some of the variations of spellings (Nipple Top, Gothic). The accuracy is impressive without having the aid of arial photography too.
Pete_Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:39 PM   #68
Boreal Chickadee

Pete, How much of the actual contour line detail is attributable to V Colvin?

They are impressive.
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #69
AntlerPerak

In regard to Adirondack Mt names I searched to determine if the largest glacier in the lower 48 "Emmons Glacier" on Rainier was named after good old Eb, it was not. Perhaps a reletive because this Emmons was also a geologists. Here is the source if anyone is interested. http://www.nps.gov/mora/notes/vol4-18a.htm

A question comes from all of this. Is DeWitt Clinton who's name was booted off the McIntire range the same Clinton who's name was booted off the Presidential Range in N.H.? I have no idea just wondering if anyone here knew. It seems Mr. Clinton was not very well liked.
AntlerPerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:45 AM   #70
Pete_Hickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Butter
Pete, How much of the actual contour line detail is attributable to V Colvin?
I suspect that a fair amount is. When newer maps are (were?) made, they would reley on older information that already exists, rather than re-do everything from scratch.
Pete_Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:37 AM   #71
redhawk

Does anyone find it interesting......

That in the early 1800's one of the high peaks was named "McMartin"?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #72
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
That in the early 1800's one of the high peaks was named "McMartin"?
Not sure how interesting I find it, but Mt. Colden was once know as McMartin, because Duncan McMartin was a huge early figure in the McIntyre Mining Company and it was part of the party that first viewed the peak from the shores of Lake Colden. That was in the 1820's I think and over time (10-15 years), that name fell out of style in favor of Colden.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #73
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

An interesting fact about Mount Marcy being called Tahawus is the fact that the name Tahawus didn't come about until after Emmons named it Marcy. Tahawus came about because people thought it would sound more authentic. There is no evidence that shows the Native Americans ever called the mountain Tahawus.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:50 AM   #74
RiseAboveHiker

Antler Peak wrote A question comes from all of this. Is DeWitt Clinton who's name was booted off the McIntire range the same Clinton who's name was booted off the Presidential Range in N.H.? I have no idea just wondering if anyone here knew. It seems Mr. Clinton was not very well liked.

I'm pretty sure Mt Clinton in NH (that was later renamed Mt Pierce) was named for George Clinton who was Vice President under Thomas Jefferson. Coincidentally George Clinton was also the first Governor of NY and so he would fit in tidily with the earlier discussion of mountains named for NY governors. Dewitt Clinton was a relative of George Clinton (I'm thinking son, but it could have been a grandson).
RiseAboveHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #75
shaggy
Shaggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAboveHiker
I'm pretty sure Mt Clinton in NH (that was later renamed Mt Pierce) was named for George Clinton who was Vice President under Thomas Jefferson. Coincidentally George Clinton was also the first Governor of NY and so he would fit in tidily with the earlier discussion of mountains named for NY governors. Dewitt Clinton was a relative of George Clinton (I'm thinking son, but it could have been a grandson).

you sure he was not the singer of Parliament Funkadelic?
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:20 AM   #76
Mavs00
I am the sith

Not to dreg up old history, but I was cross-checking something and ran across this thread (goota love google). Read through it and realized this question went unanswered. Since its probably my favorite "passed over" name in the park. I could not leave it dangling. Even if noone else cares.

Quote:
Also:
What was the name, Sawteeth was originally known as?
It's Resagone (or Resagonia "The King's Great Saw" in Italian")
Old 08-27-2006, 07:59 AM   #77
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00
Not to dreg up old history, but I was cross-checking something and ran across this thread (goota love google). Read through it and realized this question went unanswered. Since its probably my favorite "passed over" name in the park. I could not leave it dangling. Even if noone else cares.

It's Resagone (or Resagonia "The King's Great Saw" in Italian")
You Win!

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote