Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #41
bucket head

Trail Tramp - Thanks!!

I'll have to check out the old Elba Iron Works site the next time I'm up to Lake Placid.
bucket head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 AM   #42
LaRocqueOShaughnessy
Shoelace Express

For those of you looking for people who lived and worked at the mines, my grandfather was employed there. He was a mine worker, but a few years ago past away. My uncle who is our family genealogy expert has information about it I'm sure, if anyone is interested in contacting him.

He has a Facebook, but I'm not sure where else he can be contacted.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...9310493&ref=ts
Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #43
adkman12986

Who was your grandfather? I worked at NL for a short time but my father worked there for 45 yrs. He also has lots of old photos and Cloud Splitters
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #44
HobieK

How much of this town still exists? How much hiking/walking does it take to get to the neater of the buildings? I am coming up next month and would like to visit this place if worth the side trip.

society, you're a crazy breed
I hope you're not lonely without me
society, crazy and deep
I hope you're not lonely without me
HobieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #45
adkman12986

There is little to no hiking for most of the buildings however the mine area is closed for obvious reasons. The upper works area is where most of the buildings are.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #46
huffwd

In 1957, as a college sophomore majoring in geology, I managed to get a summer job working with the field crew in Tahawus that was doing geomagnetic surveys in the region. This was part of the initial stage of identification of future mine expansion sites, so we spent most days out in the bush fighting black flies and mosquitoes, hacking our way through the brush with machetes and mapping the ore distribution pattern. A few weeks ago we had some flooding in our basement, which required going through some old boxes of family stuff. In one of them I found some ektachrome slides from those days in Tahawus and have posted them at http://homepages.uc.edu/~huffwd/1957...wus/index.html.
huffwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #47
adkman12986

Enjoyed the photo's I lived next to the YMCA
Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #48
dundee

Thanks for the great pics. Days gone by for sure!
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #49
adkman12986

Yes George has lives there for a long time and is a great source of information. Very pleasant man. He worked with my father who worked at the mines for 47 years
Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #50
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Man oh man...those photos are great!!
I can recognize a handful of the obvious buildings, but have no idea where was that YMCA, the steepled church, that dome topped building, the beach.
Anyplace handy where I can see an overview map? It must have been a great experience to grow up and live there.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #51
huffwd

I'm pretty sure that the beach is Lake Sanford. And I don't have a map from those days but I will continue to poke around in our basement stuff to see if I can come up with any more photos.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #52
adkman12986

I believe the beack is Rich Lake. They used to have a youth program every summer there and the YMCA was located just up and across the road from the church.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #53
huffwd

That makes sense. I think you are correct.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #54
dundee

Hey Huffwd, what are we looking at in #7?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #55
huffwd

I was thinking that was Mt. Marcy, or at least a peak somewhere near it. I recall taking some hikes around Tahawus and that one was probably taken on our way up Marcy. Others might have a better ID for it.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #56
Neil
Kayak-46

I like the cars. Gas guzzlers.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #57
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffwd View Post
I was thinking that was Mt. Marcy, or at least a peak somewhere near it. I recall taking some hikes around Tahawus and that one was probably taken on our way up Marcy. Others might have a better ID for it.
It wouldn't be Marcy, too many hardwood trees on the slopes and it's the wrong shape. It doesn't look familiar, but a guess tells me it's Sanford Hill before they blasted half of it away with Lake Sally in the foreground. I could be way off, tho'.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #58
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Hey Huffwd, what are we looking at in #7?
It's Moxham Mountain in Minerva. You would have passed it on Rt. 28N on your way up to Newcomb.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #59
dundee

Moxham, yes, thank you!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #60
huffwd

I have managed to find a few more photos of The Tahawus operation in 1957 and have posted them at http://homepages.uc.edu/~huffwd/1957_Tahawus/index.html. This is a slightly different address than the previous one. Most of these are of the mining operation including diamond drilling and blasting. There are several photos of what look like a dam being constructed, but I can't recall where these were taken. Perhaps someone will recognize them. At the end are three photos of our typical day in the bush with the ground-based magnetometer mapping out new ore deposits. Finally, I also came across some photos taken that summer of the Benson mine (Jones & Laughlin Steel) at Star Lake. The link is http://homepages.uc.edu/~huffwd/Star_Lake/index.html.