Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #61
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokienoze View Post
Whatever happened with Anne's cabin? Did it stay in the family or was it sold?
I have some feelers out there, but no one seems to know. My biggest concern is the APA simply letting the cabin become a hazard, thsu reasoning it to be burned down.
Marty From SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #62
Limekiln

Quote:
It should be taken and put at the Blue Mountain Lake museum so her fans could view it and appreciate it.
That's funny!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #63
Alpine1

Quote:
That is ashame. It should be taken and put at the Blue Mountain Lake museum so her fans could view it and appreciate it.
Where is/was this cabin, Big Moose?
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #64
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty From SF View Post
I have some feelers out there, but no one seems to know. My biggest concern is the APA simply letting the cabin become a hazard, thsu reasoning it to be burned down.
The cabin was her private property; unless she owed back taxes or had no heirs it would not have gone to the state.

Having seen the cabin, I don't imagine it would be that hard to sell if the family didn't want to keep it. Contrary to the way she portrayed it, the site wasn't that secluded. It's a waterfront property on a developed lake, so if it was put on the market I doubt it be there long.

But as for what actually did happen, I have not heard. Maybe if there were other "Black Bear Lake" residents on the forum...
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #65
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
Where is/was this cabin, Big Moose?
Not quite, but it is in Region 6.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #66
pokienoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiln View Post
That's funny!
and...why is that funny? I would pay to see it.
pokienoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #67
dharter

As would I.
dharter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #68
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Some where I read she left her cabin to Cornell,I don't know how true that is. or where I read it.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #69
Woodspirit

Marty, what could the APA possibly have to do with Anne's cabin???????????
Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #70
pokienoze

This is the best tribute to Anne I have seen

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/st...lle-1933-2011/
Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #71
wildbrookies

Yes, I agree, she will be missed by me also..like I said in an earlier post I made..she was a very special person..whom many should idolize and use an example...the adk`s would be a better place...I too, dreamt of living on my own ,especially when I was a young boy...after reading "My side of the mountain"..I had to read it a dozen more times...vowing I would do something like that...but, I met a special woman and we married and had a very special daughter ,so life isn`t going that bad at all but ,deep inside ,I still think about that dream of living as Anne did...just feel very bad for the way her life ended ,not even close to the way she wanted it ,I`m sure, but ,sometimes ,unfortunately,we have no choice...so, just had to add this reply of some of my feelings about her...might have to get her books back out and read `em for the 12 th time!! There will never be another woman quite like her!!..but ,she lives on in those of us who have met her and know who she was through her writings.Thanks ,Pokienoze for bringing this thread back.

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #72
pokienoze

WB- I have been fortunate to always live in the country and grew up roaming the woods and creeks with my brothers in PA. I lived in the Poconos for many years and I love it there. However, there is no place like the Adirondacks. When I was a teenager my parents bought a farm near Rome, NY where they still reside. That was when I was first introduced to the Adirondacks. It was only after reading Anne's obituary that I first heard of her and read her books. I wish I had known of her sooner and was saddened to know I would never get a chance to meet her. Last summer while camping int he Adirondacks I went to Twitchell Lake to the dock area. It was a neat feeling being there. This year I would love to kayak on it and maybe find where the cabin is. I envy people like Marty who actually knew her. I am not one to be star struck by people, but I know if I had ever met her I would have felt privileged and honored. It is to bad we don't have "celebrities" today that are like Anne- who would be a positive role model for young women. Like I posted earlier it is too bad it isn't opened to the public in some way that would preserve it yet allow fans to view it. I joined the fan club on Facebook and love seeing all the pictures posted!

Last edited by pokienoze; 04-17-2013 at 09:25 AM..
Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #73
crepuscular

Just noticed this thread and thought I'd contribute my own little experience with her. My families cabin is not too far off from 'Black Bear lake' so we shared a post office. My dad was a big fan of hers and so struck up a 'hey, how you doing today?" type relationship with her. I met her at the post office one day with my dad and she was very nice to 9 or 10 year old me. I got to meet her German Shepherds in the back of her pick up truck even though I was scared of them at the time....who knew what the future held for me?
crepuscular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #74
yellowcanoe

Used to share an office with her at Cornell. Some 45 years ago..
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #75
pokienoze

Anne LaBastille presentation

FYI- There is to be an Anne LaBastille presentation Friday September 20th at 7:30 PM at the Old Forge library. It will be presented by a close friend of Anne's. I wish I could attend but I will be out of town that weekend.