Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
backspin

Crashed Plane

I was hiking Algonquin or maybe it was Colden heck it might have even been Van Hovenburg, anyway i think it was Algonquin, but at the top i remember hearing a story of a small single engine plane looking to land at Lake Placid airport, got lost in the clouds and crashed into the mountain side. Does anybody have more info or the full story behind this.
backspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Dick
somewhere out there...

Backspin, there have been many plane crashes in the Adirondacks, but you're probably thinking of the one on Wright Mt., next to Algonquin. Here is the story. You can find more info on this and other plane crashes, with pictures, if you do a search over at Adkhighpeaks.com forum.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
backspin

thanks dick, this is the second time you've helped me today, i sure do appreciate it!
backspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspin
thanks dick, this is the second time you've helped me today, i sure do appreciate it!
Hey, the man is our resident historian, which serves a usefull purpose, unlike Senior Resident Curmudgon!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
Hakuna Matada

Here is a couple of pictures of that plane crash on Wright Mt. It was in 1962.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (114.7 KB, 1519 views)
File Type: jpg Algonquin, Iroquois, Wright 076 02.jpg (120.3 KB, 1527 views)
File Type: jpg Algonquin, Iroquois, Wright 073 02.jpg (126.6 KB, 1485 views)
Hakuna Matada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
tgoodwin

That story sounds like the 1978 crash on Nye Mt. It happened just before Christmas, 1978. It was a green and white Piper Aztec (2 engines), and it snowed soon after so that the initial search from the air never found it. Then just as they gave up searching, one of the two dogs on the plane showed up in Lake Placid and was recognized by friends of the pilot and two passengers who were on the plane. The search was restarted, but the plane wasn't found until the following spring after the snow had melted. All on the plan appeared to have died instantly, but one had actually gone through the rof of the cabin. Preumably, the surviving dog followed that indvidual through the hole.
The word was that the pilot had been smuggling pot with his plane, and when found there was some pot and lots of cash on the plane.
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Cool story, Tony. I heard there have been planes that disappeared off radar in the park and were NEVER found. Does anyone know if this is true?
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #8
spotter

Crashes in the 'dacks

There was a great article in Adirondack Life a year or two ago, including a map of all the crash sites in the ADKs. There are a couple dozen, all told, with the bomber on Wright being the most well known.

A few years ago, I was climbing Seward and lost the path. As I fumbled around, I ran in to a small group of hikers who were also off the path. I went a different direction from them, soon found the path, and was on my way. When I ran in to them on the way down later in the day, they told me they'd found a plane wreck. Damn! Shoulda stayed with 'em!
spotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:57 AM   #9
Tuchov
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I heard there have been planes that disappeared off radar in the park and were NEVER found. Does anyone know if this is true?
The planes are usually found in pieces, the bodies on the other hand, well.... they're still looking for a few.

As for the plane, theres not a whole lot of it left other then a piece of the hull thats small and light enough someone can easily take it away, and a peice of the landing gear that wouldn't budge no matter how hard I tried

For more info on the B47 that crashed on Wright:
Adirondack Park.net report on the wreckage
The Plane that went down

You'll notice that "Airman 1st Class Kenneth R. Jensen's remains were never found"

Last edited by Tuchov; 07-30-2008 at 11:16 PM..
Tuchov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
That story sounds like the 1978 crash on Nye Mt. It happened just before Christmas, 1978. It was a green and white Piper Aztec (2 engines), and it snowed soon after so that the initial search from the air never found it. Then just as they gave up searching, one of the two dogs on the plane showed up in Lake Placid and was recognized by friends of the pilot and two passengers who were on the plane. The search was restarted, but the plane wasn't found until the following spring after the snow had melted. All on the plan appeared to have died instantly, but one had actually gone through the rof of the cabin. Preumably, the surviving dog followed that indvidual through the hole.
The word was that the pilot had been smuggling pot with his plane, and when found there was some pot and lots of cash on the plane.
I helped search for this plane. It was quite the stir when I lived in Placid.
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
uberTurtle
Ruffian

Plaque on Wright

Was up on Wright in March and looked for the plaque with directions from the ADK guidebook. Due to rather icy conditions, we didn't get down to the one vertical rock face that we didn't check. Anyway, never found the plaque. Any guidance on finding it? Thanks.
uberTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #12
Tuchov
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberTurtle View Post
Any guidance on finding it? Thanks.
The books was a bit cloudy for me too (no pun intended) on directions. The book says something like "Stand at the summit, go 30 degrees east from north and start walking".

A better way, is to simply hang a left as soon as you break the tree line. Thats the best way I can describe it, if you were to walk a circle around the summit, you'd find it immediately on your left once leaving the trail [and yes, you can get there easily without stepping on any alpine vegetation].
Old 04-17-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuchov View Post
A better way, is to simply hang a left as soon as you break the tree line. Thats the best way I can describe it, if you were to walk a circle around the summit, you'd find it immediately on your left once leaving the trail [and yes, you can get there easily without stepping on any alpine vegetation].
Just before the actual summit, to the left is a herdpath, just follow it and you should find the plaque and a bit of the remains of the plane, just below the summit and rocks.

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
yellowcanoe

College bulletin board

I have to admit that I schlepped a part of the wing down from Wright in 1963, being a young and stupid college student.

I used it as a dorm bulletin board. What was I thinking
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #15
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
I have to admit that I schlepped a part of the wing down from Wright in 1963, being a young and stupid college student.

I used it as a dorm bulletin board. What was I thinking
At tha age? Not much!
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #16
Tuchov
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
I wanna know who stole the engine! That thing was solid metal, nothing you could simply tuck in a backpack, and walk down with non-conspicuously. I've seen pictures of it, but nobody's been able to find it recently (from what I've read).
Old 04-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #17
dog

[QUOTE=spotter;50905]There was a great article in Adirondack Life a year or two ago, including a map of all the crash sites in the ADKs. There are a couple dozen, all told, with the bomber on Wright being the most well known.

It's 2004 Adirondacks Life Aviation issue .
There is two unhappened , but very needed crashes could be . That planes from Boston turned to New York 09.11 in Adirondacks space .

Last fall I saw in skies of Five Ponds Wilderness so beautiful machines - F-35 ?
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #18
Chloster91

Crashed Plane

I saw the plane 2 weeks ago. My uncle took me and my brother up Wright mtn. and we saw it once we got up there. I am pretty sure it was some airforce people training and somthing went wrong and they crashed.
Chloster91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #19
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog View Post
Last fall I saw in skies of Five Ponds Wilderness so beautiful machines - F-35 ?
Don't remember the exact date, but in the late 70's- 1980's- one of those jets crashed near Muir Pond's outlet. It was a big ado, involving Ft. Drum soldiers quad-ing off. Still, some wreckage there. Don't know the jets' model, either...F- something?
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #20
Torinobaseball12

where is muir pond? im trying to find it on google earth.
Torinobaseball12 is offline   Reply With Quote