Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #61
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ball View Post
I was in college at Paul Smiths looking for a small plane crash that was on a small mountain....perhaps Jones mountain? Behind jones pond, across from Tucker Farms. We never did find the plane but what we found was far better. It was early winter, ground frozen, and we noticed what looked like a small roof in the snow at ground level. We had a student named Big John, who was, well a BIG guy. The small group of us and well mostly him and his unbelievable strength we were able to dislodge it from the dirt and flip it over. What we found was a foundation dug into the ground about 3 foot deep. In it was an old horse hair mattress, Old cast iron cooking stove.....and get this .......everything to make moonshine. This was an old still site that we figured was used sometime perhaps in the 1950s. Still to this day the coolest find I have come across in the ADKS.
Blue Hill. Was that Big John Henaghan?
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #62
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

haha that it was
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #63
azimuth

I went up to the crash site on Blue Hill just a few months ago. There is no debris but the clearing created by the crash and fire is still easy to find. There is a thick area of ferns and the tops of the trees it clipped are visible. I wish I found your moonshine storage area. Which side of the hill was it on?
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #64
azimuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allons215 View Post
There was an incident of a T-33 trainer aircraft out of Griffis AFB in Rome, NY crashing in the woods south west of North Lake in the Forestport area in 1951. My hunting camp is located very close to this area, and I think I have found the site of the impact, but i can not be certain. All of the wreckage was carried out upon the Air Force search and rescue teams finding the aircraft.

http://www.caterpillarclub.org/fores...forestport.htm
They actually didn't carry it all out. They removed portions for examination during the investigation, they then dynamited the remaining wreckage and buried it in the crater created from the impact. The property owner at the time was Harlow Watts. Does that make sense with the area you are looking at?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #65
azimuth

http://www.providencejournal.com/new...his-father.ece
Old 11-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #66
Alpine1

Awesome story, thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #67