Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #21
hdscooterfool

No, the furnace was reinforced with DUCTile iron!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:33 PM   #22
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

If anyone is interested here is a link to the HEAR report done on the blast furnace back in 1978. It includes drawings, photos, as well as a 203 page document describing the history and how the furnace worked among other information.

Blast Furnace

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:34 AM   #23
Gurn

Ok I know I stupid but... Are we talking about a place thats right at the edge of a road near a trail head not far from Newcomb ?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #24
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn View Post
Ok I know I stupid but... Are we talking about a place thats right at the edge of a road near a trail head not far from Newcomb ?
Yes. The furnace is on the right on Upper Works Road about a mile before you get to the Upper Works Trailhead in Newcomb. The MacNaughton House is also on the right and a few hundred feet from the trailhead. It's the first wood structure that is easily notice from the road as you approach the trailhead.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #25
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac View Post
If anyone is interested here is a link to the HEAR report done on the blast furnace back in 1978. It includes drawings, photos, as well as a 203 page document describing the history and how the furnace worked among other information.

Blast Furnace
Wonderful link, thanks Zac.
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #26
nutmeg creeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Wonderful link, thanks Zac.
I second that remark--in spades--thanks again. As for Lumberzac, he's conDUCTed himself well in responding to the inquiries.
nutmeg creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #27
Adkleaddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Our very own Lumberzac is part of the team doing the restoration work. I'm sure when he has a free moment he'll post some details.
You mean I've been driving by Lumberzac for the last two years every other week, and never knew it?

I'm the guy poking holes in the snow all over the place Next time I'm there, I'll stop and say hey!

Nice link with all the data about the furnace as well

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Adkleaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #28
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adkleaddog View Post
You mean I've been driving by Lumberzac for the last two years every other week, and never knew it?

I'm the guy poking holes in the snow all over the place Next time I'm there, I'll stop and say hey!

Nice link with all the data about the furnace as well
It's likely you won't see me. I work for firm that did the design work for the project. I don't get go on site as much as I like to.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #29
Gurn

Quote:
Yes. The furnace is on the right on Upper Works Road about a mile before you get to the Upper Works Trailhead in Newcomb. The MacNaughton House is also on the right and a few hundred feet from the trailhead. It's the first wood structure that is easily notice from the road as you approach the trailhead.

Ok, I have been there. Went is side the house, really messed up inside. Started to go in the furnace but got the heebies!! It would be nice to see those old things fixed up.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #30
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Thought some of you might like to see some of the progress at Tahawus.

MacNaughton House before

MacNaughton House after

Blast Furnace's hot blast stove's new roof

Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #31
Boreal Chickadee

Zach, Can you explain the hot blast stove new roof?
I saw it earlier this fall and wondered about it. I'm sssuming the plexiglass is a modern add-on to protect it from the elements? What was its function (those coils we can see)? How did it work? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #32
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Chickadee View Post
Zach, Can you explain the hot blast stove new roof?
I saw it earlier this fall and wondered about it. I'm sssuming the plexiglass is a modern add-on to protect it from the elements? What was its function (those coils we can see)? How did it work? Inquiring minds want to know.
I only know the watered down explanation, as the furnace was complex machine. Basically there was a water powered air compressor down by the river that pumped fresh air up the side of the furnace to the hot blast stove on top. The air was pumped through the coils while exhaust air from the furnace also entered the hot blast stove. This heated the fresh air, which was then pumped into the furnace which enabled the furnace to burn hotter and more efficiently.

The polycarbonate roof was added to the stove to help protect the brick masonry while allowing the interior to still be visible. Originally the coils were completely encased in brick and there was a roof structure that covered the entire furnace and charging bridge. None of the interior was visible.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:52 PM   #33
Boreal Chickadee

Quote:
I only know the watered down explanation, as the furnace was complex machine. Basically there was a water powered air compressor down by the river that pumped fresh air up the side of the furnace to the hot blast stove on top. The air was pumped through the coils while exhaust air from the furnace also entered the hot blast stove. This heated the fresh air, which was then pumped into the furnace which enabled the furnace to burn hotter and more efficiently.

The polycarbonate roof was added to the stove to help protect the brick masonry while allowing the interior to still be visible. Originally the coils were completely encased in brick and there was a roof structure that covered the entire furnace and charging bridge. None of the interior was visible.
Thanks Zach.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #34
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

If that's a watered down explanation, we don't have enough band width for the technical one.

Way to go Zach!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #35
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
If that's a watered down explanation, we don't have enough band width for the technical one.

Way to go Zach!!
Redhawk,
That new avatar doesnt look like you at all! Trying to scare the honeys away?
CR
Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #36
ADK Rock Farmer
Administrator

What a great project to take on. I think that not enough is done to preserve the history Humanity of the Adirondacks. It seems that so many special interests are concerned with recreating old growth & forever wild that the real history is thrown to the back burner. An exception to this is the Adirondack Museum, what a great job they do. Kudos to the folks in Blue Mountain Lake.
IMHO, Aa school field trip to a safe blast furnace is a great way to teach kids about the roll iron works played in the evolution of adirondack history.

& SAVE THE DUCK HOLE- remember Lester Flow? I do.
ADK Rock Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #37
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Update:

The stabilization to the MacNaughton House is going to be receiving an award for Excellence in Historic Preservation from the Preservation League of New York State.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #38
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Congatulations are in order then ,Zach!! Good job ,I look forward to stopping by and seeing the finished result! Keep UP the good WORKS!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 05-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #39
DRIFTER

..........I would definitely take a detour to see something like that, nice job! We have an old electric plant on a stream in my town which was in pretty good shape when I was a kid. When fishing, I always stopped by to take a peek, recently, I stopped after about 20 years slipped by and it was just falling apart. My understanding is the owner hates the town and refused to let the local Historical society restore it! The town does have alot of problems, but what a waste of a beautiful old stone piece of history!
DRIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #40
nutmeg creeker

That's great to know; don't know why, but Tahawus haunts the imagination, at least for me. Good work to all involved!