Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > ADKHighpeaks Foundation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you plan on purchasing a calendar?
I plan on purchasing 1 calendar. 26 56.52%
I plan on purchasing 2 calendars. 11 23.91%
I plan on purchasing more than 2 calendars. 3 6.52%
I prefer not knowing what day it is. 6 13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #21
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by colden46 View Post
No, didn't enter. But I've got a couple more weeks to think about it, right?

I agree, if we pick the best 13, the end result should be great. But let's just say I've learned that voting has a way of not always picking the best choice(s)

You can put me down for a "most likely", I just don't want to commit to buying something without knowing what I'm buying, is all. I know, I know, it's just $15, but still. If it's great, heck, I might buy 5 of them.
Perfect - so we'll mark you down as a most likely, as long as the voting doesn't devolve to the level of the hanging chad!

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #22
Neil
Kayak-46

Actually, voting on the poll incurs no obligation to buy.

And seeing how the economy is on its way belly up I'll be happy to loan you the money against the equity in your home for 1% below prime rate.

As for the entries I wonder why the "heavy hitters" such as Gary and Pico haven't made submissions.

Colden46 makes a good point, once the submissions are under display on the www, a lot of people will suddenly want 5 or 6 (talk about a cheap 'n' easy way to Xmas shop!). The only thing is that if we only order 100 then there are going to be a lot of disappointed people on Christmas morning when all they get is a Celine Dion calendar.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #23
colden46

Neil, how long does it take to print the calendars once you place the order? Any reason you can't take people's money and then place the order? That way you know how many to get, without having to guess. You can still order some extras in case people decide they want more or some new people come in, of course.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #24
kwc
loser

Quote:
As for the entries I wonder why the "heavy hitters" such as Gary and Pico haven't made submissions
maybe they're just trying to give us peasants a chance ...

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #25
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc View Post
What's a "heavy hitter"???
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #26
colden46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
http://AlexanderAndCatalano.com/ ?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #27
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Something like this:
Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #28
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Something like this:
JEEZ.

She can't even lift that lens, leave alone hit anything with it!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #29
ADKHUNTER

Count me in, I can always use another calendar. JK. Sounds like a good idea.

ED
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #30
Bill I.

Quote:
As for the entries I wonder why the "heavy hitters" such as Gary and Pico haven't made submissions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc View Post
This raises a good point:
Should those forum members whose photography has been published elsewhere practice restraint and let other people have a shot?
And, depending on the answer to that question, here is a follow-up:
If the contest is open to all members, should the entries be previously unpublished? Who owns the copyrights to the individual pictures used in the calendar when all is said and done?
Not that I'm suggesting that the selected photographers should be remunerated. It's just that with some photography contests, the "winner" surrenders the copyrights to the publication that held the contest.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #31
redhawk

That depends on the conditions set by the contest or magazine publisher, etc. The agreement can be merely that the photographer gives the publisher the limited right to publish the picture without giving u the rights to the picture.

One of the reasons I left a couple of the online picture storing/viewing companies was the fact that they were selling merchandise with some of my pictures on it, mugs, key chains, etc. When the compaany was bought by another party, they "changed the rules"..

If you want to really start to complicate the hell out of this whole thing, then any picture that includes a person should also include a signed release from that individual giving permission for their likeness to be used.

And there are more "professional" photographers on this forum then Wildernessphoto and pico, myself included.

In the end, it's all a matter of individual choice. Some of my photography has been submitted to and used by local tourism bureaus. I personally don't submit to magazines or other publications.

As far as submissions for the calendar goes, I think the best photographs that depict what we all do, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, canoeing, kayaking, wildlife viewing, fishing, hunting, running, etc. regardless of who the photographer is should be submitted.

I would also hope that those whio have submitted photos would not lobby their friends to vote for theirs and that someone would not vote for a photo because their friend took it.

In fact, the best thing would be to get a panel of three or five people who could be impartial to pick the photos to be used.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 10-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #32
colden46

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
If you want to really start to complicate the hell out of this whole thing, then any picture that includes a person should also include a signed release from that individual giving permission for their likeness to be used.
In fact, the best thing would be to get a panel of three or five people who could be impartial to pick the photos to be used.
Not all pictures that include a person. It's only if the person is identifiable. And yes, at the very least anyone submitting a recognizable picture of a person for this calendar, should get the permission of that person. Whether it needs to be as formal as a signed release for something like this I can't say, but if it were me in the picture I know I'd like my buddy to run it by me before spreading the photo around.

As for the panel of people, I'm not sure that's any better than a general vote. Look at some of the winners of the Adirondack Life photo contest, for instance.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #33
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

So Neil, are you starting to feel like no good deed goes unpunished?
I know...let's form a calendar photo rules committee.

As a wise man once said, "keep it fun."

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #34
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Haven't made my mind up on a calender purchase, yet.

Regarding the side topic developing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colden46 View Post
Not all pictures that include a person. It's only if the person is identifiable.
What if the person purposely, smudged a picture with his/her likeness- posted it on a public forum/website & a second party copied that picture & used the person in the picture's REAL name to sell a product, which happened to be also framed in the smudged picture. Yep, it sounds strange, but I'm 100 percent sure it has happened & seems like a classless thing to do. Oh well.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #35
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondhopper View Post
What if the person purposely, smudged a picture with his/her likeness- posted it on a public forum/website & a second party copied that picture & used the person in the picture's REAL name to sell a product, which happened to be also framed in the smudged picture. Yep, it sounds strange, but I'm 100 percent sure it has happened & seems like a classless thing to do. Oh well.
....Say again....??
Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #36
colden46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondhopper View Post
Whoa... I'm not a lawyer, so no idea. But agreed, totally classless.

My "amusing" photo-theft story actually centers around another case where I submitted photos for a calendar for free. About a year later the guy turned around and started selling postcards, keychains, and magnets with the picture I submitted on them, without telling me, without my permission, and without giving me a penny. He did give me credit on the postcard, but misspelled my name -- and it's not a difficult name. So Neil, we'll be watching you Seriously though, people do need to watch out for who they give photos to, and as you said, some people are totally classless.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #37
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Quote:
....Say again....??
For instance: say a person was a little secretive & didn't want people recognizing him/her, while traveling into locations in the park. But the person was encouraged to share a photo of a rare event. And so- the person smudged his/her face & posted the picture with most everything else intact; including the unusual sight/event. Another party comes in, because the picture shows a brand name he/her is associated with & simply, copies the pic w/o permission & most importantly- uses the person's real name with the copied photo to hump product at his/her website etc.

In one specific example of this happening, I was told: the person turned down interviews with some media & only, opted to share with one, as to retain a degree of anonymity....yet, freely lauded "the product" the other party wants to hump to this one media & often, lauded it on a public website, well before the other party came in and copied the picture & used the person's name....& I was told a simple PM, or email would have sufficed & no motive for $ was involved.

I don't feel like explaining anything further.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Last edited by pondhopper; 10-02-2008 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: more detail/explanation
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #38
redhawk

Can be a real can of worms, but only if one wants it to be.

The simple solution is that it's agreed that any photographs used or submitted remain the property of the photographer and that they will only be used on the calendars.

Any picture having a person with identifiable features should be accompanied by a release from the person photograhed. Those forms are commonly available for photographers.

Several years ago I photographed a kayaker on Jimmy Creek whom I did not know. when the photos were developed I realized that I had a couple of great shots. All I know about the person in the picture was that he was from Benson. I emailed a copy of the picture to the owner of a lodge in Benson and asked if they knew the person. they did and they put me in touch with him via email. I sent him a release form for the picture before using it.

That was how I first met Riosacandaga.

Damn, now that I think of it, I should have submitted that picture for the calendar.

Anyway, I don't anticipate any problems with Tim using the pictures for the calendar,

Neil however.........

Hawk
Old 10-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #39
Neil
Kayak-46

We're pretty lucky to have a social scientist of Redhawk's caliber on the forum.

And, it turns out I have another question.

On ADKHP, of the 38 voters, 40% say they will buy 2 calendars.
On ADKF, of the 20 voters, 15% say they will buy 2.

The difference between those measurements is of a high degree of statistical significance and I'm sure we're going to found out the cause of this difference shortly.

Dr. Redhawk?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #40

Quote:
We're pretty lucky to have a social scientist of Redhawk's caliber on the forum.

And, it turns out I have another question.

On ADKHP, of the 38 voters, 40% say they will buy 2 calendars.
On ADKF, of the 20 voters, 15% say they will buy 2.

The difference between those measurements is of a high degree of statistical significance and I'm sure we're going to found out the cause of this difference shortly.

Dr. Redhawk?
Guess that the HP'rs are more hard core and the F'rs are waiting to hear that you will add in the hunting and fishing seasons and the lunar phases.
Add those in and I'm in for at least two , one for camp and one for home so my wife knows when not to plan stuff for and expect me to attend.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote