Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
Creekwader
Snag Locator
 
Creekwader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In the Place of the Nettles
Posts: 922
Maiden voyage

Finally got the Outcast Trinity tube out for a trip today after sitting in my basement for months, nothing like waiting for the last day of the season. Figured I would post a quick report and review for those interested.

Took it to the holy waters from a couple weeks ago but things were rather different. It was windy to put it mildly. My partner had my hornbeck and we both were pushed across the pond the whole time. I suppose it might not have been the best time to either fish or try a new water craft but I can't choose my fishing times so it is what it is. For the fishing, it was rather dismal. Only managed a couple fish with one medium one:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UQd6l4qLjEI8WSNa2

As for the Trinity, I wanted to like to more but I'll have to give it more time on the water. I'm sure my friend had a worse time of it trying to control the canoe but I certainly labored mightily to stay in position even with the tube. I'll also admit that I need some better quality fins but it was a struggle. I was prepared for taking the extra time to blow up and deflate the tube so that wasn't a real big concern however most days I'm on a strict time schedule so that extra 45 minutes is valuable. It seemed like I had a much heavier load with the tube, waders, pump, etc than with the hornbeck. I really under dressed even though it was a warm day. I should have had some warm pants under my waders. I can't imagine all the extra clothes needed for ice out plus camping stuff if staying overnight. A heavy pack for sure and one isn't going to wear all those clothes carrying in to mitigate sweating to death. I guess I have to rethink my future plans for this craft. Was hoping for something for overnights but am not sure it's an improvement over the hornbeck.

Anyway. that's it. another season in the books. Landlock season is a couple weeks off.

Last edited by Creekwader; 10-16-2017 at 06:46 PM..
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
gmorin71
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Finally got the Outcast Trinity tube out for a trip today after sitting in my basement for months, nothing like waiting for the last day of the season. Figured I would post a quick report and review for those interested.

Took it to the holy waters from a couple weeks ago but things were rather different. It was windy to put it mildly. My partner had my hornbeck and we both were pushed across the pond the whole time. I suppose it might not have been the best time to either fish or try a new water craft but I can't choose my fishing times so it is what it is. For the fishing, it was rather dismal. Only managed a couple fish with one medium one:
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...E89pPr5gdwlSNK

As for the Trinity, I wanted to like to more but I'll have to give it more time on the water. I'm sure my friend had a worse time of it trying to control the canoe but I certainly labored mightily to stay in position even with the tube. I'll also admit that I need some better quality fins but it was a struggle. I was prepared for taking the extra time to blow up and deflate the tube so that wasn't a real big concern however most days I'm on a strict time schedule so that extra 45 minutes is valuable. It seemed like I had a much heavier load with the tube, waders, pump, etc than with the hornbeck. I really under dressed even though it was a warm day. I should have had some warm pants under my waders. I can't imagine all the extra clothes needed for ice out plus camping stuff if staying overnight. A heavy pack for sure and one isn't going to wear all those clothes carrying in to mitigate sweating to death. I guess I have to rethink my future plans for this craft. Was hoping for something for overnights but am not sure it's an improvement over the hornbeck.

Anyway. that's it. another season in the books. Landlock season is a couple weeks off.

Pictures wouldnt come up.

I agree on the tube. I used my trinity all season long and it drives me kind of crazy. it is very light but it does not pack well at all and ends up taking up more room in my pack. The deflating is irritating not only because it is slow, but the little plugs continuously pop out of the valves. I would say try the ODC but if you just bought a trinity I doubt you'd want to immediately invest in something else. Either way I much prefer the ODC. I'll carry the extra pound or 2 for the packability and ease of setting it up and taking it down. Don't get me wrong, I do like the trinity, just not as much as my ODC
__________________
"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
Creekwader
Snag Locator
 
Creekwader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In the Place of the Nettles
Posts: 922
Fixed link. Nothing major but a decent fish in the stripping basket.

20 years ago when I had a tube, I cut the fill tubes, put in a T and plumbed in a ball valve. This worked great for dumping the air, I will likely do this for current. Nothing like laying on a wet tube for 20 minutes holding those crappy caps, looking like I'm having an inappropriate relationship with it!
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Pauly D.
Member
 
Pauly D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 298
CW I also bought a Trinity this year and used it several times. I have a Hornbeck too and can relate to the comparison. I really like it for fly fishing but as with anything it has trade-offs as you mentioned.

I wanted to share my method for deflating the tube that works well for me. I cut the ends off of some 1/2 inch soft vinyl caps that I got from Advance Auto. They fit snug into the valves of the Trinity and provide enough friction to keep the valve open. I use my double action hand pump in "deflate" mode to then suck all the air out of the tube. It works great and I can get the tube deflated within minutes. The tube also packs much better this way with all the air sucked out of it.







Regarding the pack I ended up getting an Austin Kayak Inflatable Kayak Pack. It's huge and will fit both my fishing and camping gear. I do not carry it fully packed though because it's too much weight and bulk on my back. I ended up packing my camping gear into a duffel and clipping it to the straps on the kayak bag in front. This way it kind of re-distributes the weight and it's more comfortable for me. I have carried it for up to 10 miles and it's not that bad.

This is my first full year fly fishing so I'm still learning the ropes. I like the float tube better in the wind and it's easier for me to cast out of it. The canoe is better for covering water and finding fish. Best of luck!
__________________
Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...
Pauly D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict
 
vtflyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West coast of New England
Posts: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
CW I also bought a Trinity this year and used it several times. I have a Hornbeck too and can relate to the comparison. I really like it for fly fishing but as with anything it has trade-offs as you mentioned.

I wanted to share my method for deflating the tube that works well for me. I cut the ends off of some 1/2 inch soft vinyl caps that I got from Advance Auto. They fit snug into the valves of the Trinity and provide enough friction to keep the valve open. I use my double action hand pump in "deflate" mode to then suck all the air out of the tube. It works great and I can get the tube deflated within minutes. The tube also packs much better this way with all the air sucked out of it.







Regarding the pack I ended up getting an Austin Kayak Inflatable Kayak Pack. It's huge and will fit both my fishing and camping gear. I do not carry it fully packed though because it's too much weight and bulk on my back. I ended up packing my camping gear into a duffel and clipping it to the straps on the kayak bag in front. This way it kind of re-distributes the weight and it's more comfortable for me. I have carried it for up to 10 miles and it's not that bad.

This is my first full year fly fishing so I'm still learning the ropes. I like the float tube better in the wind and it's easier for me to cast out of it. The canoe is better for covering water and finding fish. Best of luck!
Tell me more about that pump! That might just reduce the biggest aggro of the Trinity to nothing.

And guys, I don't understand the packing bit. I got a Sea-to-Summit dry stuff sack to pack my tube in. The pontoons fold over the seat and then the whole thing rolls up to something that fits in the sleeping bag compartment of my pack (Osprey Aether, the mid sized one). My kit (pump, crocs, waders, Trinity, fins) certainly weighs less than a Hornbeck and paddle.
__________________
Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class
vtflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
Pauly D.
Member
 
Pauly D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Tell me more about that pump! That might just reduce the biggest aggro of the Trinity to nothing.

And guys, I don't understand the packing bit. I got a Sea-to-Summit dry stuff sack to pack my tube in. The pontoons fold over the seat and then the whole thing rolls up to something that fits in the sleeping bag compartment of my pack (Osprey Aether, the mid sized one). My kit (pump, crocs, waders, Trinity, fins) certainly weighs less than a Hornbeck and paddle.
VT it's one of these

http://www.outcastboats.com/accessor...-hand-pump.asp

As I mentioned above you need to stick something inside the valves to depress the valve springs to keep them open. I used a soft vinyl cap with the end cut off but 1/2" OD plastic tube will probably work too. Just switch the hose over from "inflate" to "deflate" on the pump and it sucks all the air out of the tube completely. Works great.

The downside is that the pump is pretty big (but it's light). There some foot pumps out there that have the same inflate and deflate features that probably work just as well but are smaller.
__________________
Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...
Pauly D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #7
Creekwader
Snag Locator
 
Creekwader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In the Place of the Nettles
Posts: 922
Pauly,
Thanks for the suggestions!
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.