Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #1
malexander

WCLW Wandering 8/25-8/26/2018

I was kind of embarrassed when I realized that hadn't spent a night in the 'Daks since this spring. Luckily I am well versed at cramming many of my obligations into my weekly routine and ignoring all the others

I arrived the the tent village errrr trail head parking lot around 8:30. But seriously 4 tents was easily a new record! (PSA: if you havn't figured it out yet, you're not supposed to do this!). I made the quick hike into an empty Philsbury Lean-to

Both Saturday and Sunday were spent exploring seldom used trails, intriguing points of interest on old maps, old roads on old maps, and old roads not on any map. Even got in a little bit of fishing time although it wasn't fruitful.

On Saturday night I spent a little time turning the fire table back into a fire pit at the lean-to. I got the impression it has been a long long time since it has seen some love.

The highlight of the weekend was exploring an old camp where some of the lumber used for its structures was still present - although severely rotted of course.

Step 1: dig a small pit, Step 2: Ring it all the way around with stones, Step 3: put the fire out COMPLETELY before you leave!

Before:

After:

Remnants of old wooden structure
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Darn, Iím unable to see your photos & Iím curious which old camp you found?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
Tick Magnet

Love it!

Sweet job on the fire pit

We've also seen a lot of gross buffoonery lately with fires and litter over the last few weeks.

Can't believe that people are camping in the parking lot? So many awesome campsites in that area.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Lucky13

That first fire picture is very disturbing. While fire is a great rejuvenator of wilderness, I doubt anyone would have appreciated the effect had that one kept going.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
malexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Darn, Iím unable to see your photos & Iím curious which old camp you found?
Hi Justin,

I don't see any problems across multiple devices. Maybe try clearing your browser cache?

If that doesn't work, here's the direct Google Drive link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15B...SB6kLkgu1ZencT
Old 08-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
snapper
snapper

Thanks for your work with the fire pit. I work cleaning up two lean-to sites in the Catskills and it never ceases to amaze me how much folks can abuse a fire pit between our visits. It's amazing we don't have more issues with uncontrolled fires.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
Hi Justin,

I don't see any problems across multiple devices. Maybe try clearing your browser cache?

If that doesn't work, here's the direct Google Drive link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15B...SB6kLkgu1ZencT
Great photos, thanks for the link!
Is that the old camp at the northeast corner of Pillsbury Lake shown on the 1903 topo?
DuctTape & I followed that old road for a bit beyond the meadow but ended up turning back after fighting through all the blowdown & new growth in the roadbed. I always wondered if that is where French Louie’s Pillsbury camp was located.

Last edited by Justin; 08-27-2018 at 07:03 PM..
Old 08-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Is that the old camp at the northeast corner of Pillsbury Lake shown on the 1903 topo?
DuctTape & I followed that old for a bit beyond the meadow but ended up turning back after fighting through all the blowdown & new growth we in the roadbed. I always wondered if that is where French Louieís Pillsbury camp was located.
Which we need to go back to and spend some quality time exploring.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #9
malexander

Quote:
DuctTape & I followed that old for a bit beyond the meadow but ended up turning back after fighting through all the blowdown & new growth we in the roadbed. I always wondered if that is where French Louieís Pillsbury camp was located.
The pics are actually from somewhere else.

I also explored the area on the NE end of Pillsbury Lake that you are referring to. All I really found was an old stove and several old roads in fairly decent condition. At some point I will make it back to investigate that area more thoroughly.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Which we need to go back to and spend some quality time exploring.
Maybe this fall?
Hopefully we can get malexander to shed a little more light on where he was. I think I recognize the one photo with the beaver dam at the outlet of Pillsbury Lake, with Pillsbury Mountain beyond. Years ago I found an old blue blazed route around the western end of Pillsbury Lake, however back then it didnít seem to get much use & was extremely overgrown, but was fun to try & follow non the less.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #11
malexander

Quote:
Maybe this fall?
Hopefully we can get malexander to shed a little more light on where he was. I think I recognize the one photo with the beaver dam at the outlet of Pillsbury Lake, with Pillsbury Mountain beyond. Years ago I found an old blue blazed route around the western end of Pillsbury Lake, however back then it didnít seem to get much use & was extremely overgrown, but was fun to try & follow non the less.
A little bit surprised I may have stumped you. Iíll PM you some details since I know you have strong ethics.