Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Jay Mountain Wilderness

Here's a NYT op-ed piece on the status of the proposed mining exploration:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/08/op...A15%22%7D&_r=0
Old 10-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
TCD

The legislature voted twice, and the people read, carefully considered, and voted in favor of this process. (And I remain convinced that this will better the Jay Wilderness in the end.)

But oh my, democracy is great only when it goes my way! So here come the nannies. "The citizens must either be: stupid; uninformed; or evil to have decided something I in my ivory tower don't agree with. So we elites must step in and try to reverse the citizens' will. After all, these little people are supposed be happy doing woodcrafts until they are finally extirpated from our playground."

Where's the "puking smiley" when you need it?
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
Otis

TCD nailed it! More decisions should put up for popular vote instead of leaving the decision up to our "represantitives".
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
TCD nailed it! More decisions should put up for popular vote instead of leaving the decision up to our "represantitives".
And who decides which decisions should be made by popular vote? What should the guidelines be?

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Where are all the stories describing the current positive aspects from this land swap?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Otis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc View Post
And who decides which decisions should be made by popular vote? What should the guidelines be?
The individuals directly affected.

Are you totally comfortable with your representatives making decisions for you?
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Where are all the stories describing the current positive aspects from this land swap?
Sadly, there are no "current" positive aspects, unless you are a lawyer. Some folks want to make fights in court to try to thwart the informed decision of the electorate. All that does is waste a lot of money and time, and delay the realization of the benefits of this deal. There will be a lot of positives, if the process is ever allowed to go forward.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Sadly, there are no "current" positive aspects, unless you are a lawyer. Some folks want to make fights in court to try to thwart the informed decision of the electorate. All that does is waste a lot of money and time, and delay the realization of the benefits of this deal. There will be a lot of positives, if the process is ever allowed to go forward.
Thanks Tom.
I'm not sure that filing a lawsuit for the alledged illegal process is a waste of money and time.
I admit, I haven't been paying too much attention to this issue since last fall, but from what I have read, there were a few details that were left in the dark that people are starting to find out now, and I can't help but think that maybe the very close votes from last fall might have been a little different had we known what is being revealed now.
In any event, as someone who voted against this, I'd like to see something positive come from it.
Is the public currently allowed to visit the swapped land formerly owned by NYCO yet?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

May I kindly point out that voters approved the possibility of a land swap, if both parties (NYCO and NYS) both deemed it workable and beneficial.

However I do not recall anything in that amendment which would authorize exploratory drilling in a constitutionally protected Wilderness area without creating new or following existing regulatory process.
The flaw of the amendment was pointed out prior to vote and few people paid attention that the proposal was mostly theoretical (without any practical mechanism of how this will be accomplished on the ground within existing regulatory framework)
Since those details were left out, now they are being ironed out in the courts as part of our democratic process.
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote