Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #41
Little Rickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
One way to get rid of invasive species is to introduce another species to destroy the first one. Say, a bacterium, a brand new one designed on a computer, created in a lab, then released into the ecosystem to destroy the original invasive. I am sure it would work. Just don't try it first out up here in Canada.
Give me a break. You're troaling me...right?

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #42
PatGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
The beetles they've been using on Purple Loosetrife absolutely defoliate the plants - they do some amazing work.

Of course they need to do plenty of research beforehand to make reasonably sure that the cure isn't as bad or worse than the disease.
yeah, biological control is pretty popular. they actually use THREE types of beetles on loosestrife...one eats the flowers, one eats the plant, one eats the roots.

i'm iffy on this control method because it's impossible to test the agent to be introduced completely. who knows what will happen when the loosestrife is gone? or if the beetles find something else to eat too?

the good news is that these beetles do die off when there is no loosestrife. this time, biological control has worked well.
PatGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #43
DuctTape
Out of Shape

EAB has been confirmed in the City of Rochester.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Last edited by DuctTape; 06-19-2011 at 07:33 PM..
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #44
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

That stinks, interesting article in this months CONSERVATIONIST.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #45
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Is that a Brown Trout in the OP's avatar. Isn't that native to Europe and Asia as is the milifoil? Oh the irony....

To address the thread drift:
If mice find a food source they multiply until that foodsource is gone and then die out. I know this because I've opened a camp for many years. Why would humans be any different? Except my best camp story involves a hawk that flew through the window to get the mice and subsequently died (after eating all of them).

Additionally:
Humans aren't the only ones creating toxic gasses in the environment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/index.php

Humans haven't been able to change the average temperature by 5 degrees that one volcano had done in the past.

Of course there are very sensible government alternatives:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ve-planet.html

The only solution would be to make lakes and forests off limits to humans but then again humans are part of nature, maybe we can get rid of motor boats and trailers rather than creating more government to deal with the repercussions.

Or how about every motorboater moves south and takes an ATV driver, Snowmobiler and peak bagger with them. Then I can spoil the environment by myself in peace.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #46
colden46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
Humans aren't the only ones creating toxic gasses in the environment:
Between this and some of your posts in other threads, your position appears to be that because nature emits bad stuff, and oftentimes a lot of it, it doesn't matter what humans do. I hope you can see the flaw in that.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #47
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Or that humans are part of nature as is the volcano or the first micro-organisms. If we continue to consume the environment as the original organisms have done humans will have the same fate. Although my assumption is that the natural correction process embedded in the human race will kick in prior to the complete consumption of resources.

My other point, actually relating to the original thread, is the irony of what we call invasive co-exists in nature with what we stock.

Until you stop the most invasive species on the planet the rest is pissing in the wind. That goes for motorboating, fly-fisherman and sub-alpine peak baggers (etc.).

So actually Colden, quite the contrary I feel the only thing that will save what's left of the already man-altered Adirondacks is not allowing public access. Maybe an re-introduction of a predator like sabre-tooth tigers could help limit the traffic like the emerald beetle.

Quoted from the site linked below:
What Effect Can Invasives Have?
Invasive species can negatively impact ecosystems in a variety of ways. They can:

Displace native species
Reduce native wildlife habitat
Reduce forest health and productivity
Alter ecosystem processes
Degrade recreation areas

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/invasives/index.shtml
Old 06-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #48
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Great read:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...vice=other&c=y
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #49
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Holy thread resurrection!!

I just heard that humans are so populous and so prolific and affect everything environmentally that we are now classified by leading scientists as "a force of nature.

So I was thinking, about 150,000 years ago the earth was populated by all kinds of species, many more then we have now. There were wooly mammoths, sabre tooth tigers and all sorts of remarkable animals and mammals. Interspersed in small pockets of five or six were two-legged naked apes, humans. I wonder if any animals or mammals ever looked at them and said one day they are going to be a real problem?

Talk about invasive species!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Last edited by redhawk; 04-24-2013 at 08:21 PM..
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #50
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Holy thread resurrection!!

I just heard that humans are so populous and so prolific and affect everything environmentally that we are now classified by leading scientists as "a force of nature.

So I was thinking, about 150,000 years ago the earth was populated by all kinds of species, many more then we have now. There were wooly mammoths, sabre tooth tigers and all sorts of remarkable animals and mammals. Interspersed in small pockets of five or six were two-legged naked apes, humans. I wonder if any animals or mammals ever looked at them and said one day they are going to be a real problem?

Talk about invasive species!!
This is a really funny (and true) take on humans. As far as science can tell we originated in Africa and spread throughout the rest of the world.

Those Mammoths probably thought just that when the first spear of a human pierced their skin in North America when we migrated over from Asia.

The natives did manage to hunt them to extinction but eventually most learned sustainable living until the Europeans came.

Maybe someday we will be like those natives and learn to take only what nature can replace so we can sustain our existence. On that day we may look back and reconsider who the 'savages' were.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #51
Old Rivers

God saw all that he had made and said, "It is very good".
Old Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #52
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rivers View Post
God saw all that he had made and said, "It is very good".
I've always wondered who was the person that heard and wrote "what God said".
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 04-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #53
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
I've always wondered who was the person that heard and wrote "what God said".
Might have been some guy called Adam.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #54
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Might have been some guy called Adam.
He couldn't write. At least it's not mentioned in the Bible.

But if we want to chose Bibical "history" as a basis, then why if God considered all that he made as "good", did he later wipe out most of humanity with a flood? Evidently things weren't so "good".

I believe God also brought plague and pestilence down on the Egyptians, so he couldn't have thought that they were too good either.

If one is going to use the Bible, then one needs to take the works as a whole and not just the parts that might back the point one is trying to make.

Yes??

Personally, Evolution makes a lot more sense.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #55

Speaking of invasive species ( plants )
I noticed our " bamboo " ( Japanese knot weed )was doing well this year
Grabbed a tape measure and thought like corn " knee high by fourth of july " that 30" by april 30 would make a good pic.
Well 38" today .....

Whomever thought that this was a good plant to introduce here in the U.S. is a major knot weed

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #56
colden46

Quote:
But if we want to chose Bibical "history" as a basis, then why if God considered all that he made as "good", did he later wipe out most of humanity with a flood? Evidently things weren't so "good".

I believe God also brought plague and pestilence down on the Egyptians, so he couldn't have thought that they were too good either.
Think of it this way. You start dating a girl. After a few weeks, you sit back and say to yourself, "it is good". You might even need a day of rest because of all the "work" involved. Then a while later, you wish God would bring plague and pestilence down upon her, because things aren't too good anymore.

... sorry for drifting off-topic here.

Last edited by colden46; 04-30-2013 at 11:11 PM..
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
Speaking of invasive species ( plants )
I noticed our " bamboo " ( Japanese knot weed )was doing well this year
Grabbed a tape measure and thought like corn " knee high by fourth of july " that 30" by april 30 would make a good pic.
Well 38" today .....

Whomever thought that this was a good plant to introduce here in the U.S. is a major knot weed
Same super Happy knot head 5 days later ;

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #58

Sorry for the thread drift , seems it may not be a bad plant after all.
I found the fountain of youth.
I'll be taking orders for the health supplement I'll call RESIST-IT-ALL , First come first served till supplies run out.

Look it is even on the inner webs Please pre-order so I know how much to try and make

http://voices.yahoo.com/health-benef...d-8053196.html

Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #59
tylert27

Yeah, there definitely needs to be more action taken to prevent invasive species. There have been a lot of these types of issues going on in the past decade or so. Snakeheads are the worst because they can travel on land for quite a while before going to another lake. When you have Snakeheads, any surround water will soon be infested with them. They are mean too.
tylert27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #60
Glen
Check please

Thread re-resurrection

I thought this was a fascinating article on invasive species particularly addressing the northeast:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/09/sc...av=bottom-well
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote