Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Josh Seeley

Question Favorite thing to do near Lake Placid in October

Hello All,

My wife and I are celebrating our anniversary this weekend in Lake Placid. We have always loved this area and typically enjoy it by hiking in the glorious High Peaks or snowboarding at Whiteface. We have climbed about 30 of the 46 and often find ourselves sleeping outside after a nice long day of hiking!

This weekend, however, I want to do something different. While we know the trails really well, we want to get to know the surrounding area itself better. We will start Saturday by enjoying a short hike up to Cascade Mt (ironic, but we've never done this one!). Maybe we'll add Porter too. Then, we are off to do something in or around Lake Placid, but I don't know what. I do know that we will be hitting up PJ's (LPP&B) for some Ubu at some point and we are sleeping at the Courtyard. Yeahya! Talk about easy livin.

My question is, what other activities do you all enjoy near Lake Placid? I was thinking of checking out the Wild Center near Tupper Lake. Any thoughts on that? Or maybe hiking into the High Falls Gorge. I hear it's cool, but some think it's a let down. Or maybe visit the Olympic Center? We've been to Lake Placid dozens of times or more, but never seen any of these attractions. I thought of checking out the caves in Pottersville, but alas they are closed until December.

Or, maybe we'll go to... ummmm... Any suggestions?! Please don't recommend shopping at the outlets. And no spa day at Mirror Lake Inn. Not my cup of tea... it very well may be my wife's, but definitely not mine.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Congratulations on your anniversary!

I would certainly recommend tacking on Porter to your Cascade hike...it's a nice peak in its own right...and won't take long.

on the Wild Center, especially if you have a bad weather day.
Interesting, educational, and fun. Don't miss the Carl Heilmann slide show. Breathtaking photos and nice music.

I went to High Falls Gorge many years ago...wasn't that impressed. I live in the finger lakes region and we have miles and miles of dramatic gorges, so my view is no doubt a bit skewed on that.

PJ's is also a good call...but I prefer the IPA.

Have fun!

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
yellowcanoe

Eat at Lisa G's in Placid.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
TCD

Good ideas, all.

If Cascade and Porter are more than you have time for, consider Pitchoff's West ("balanced rock") summit, right across the street. Fun, relatively easy hike to a cool spot.

Expect ice on many trails, maybe bring microspikes or crampons.

For waterfalls, consider:

>the short walk in to the base of Roaring Brook Falls
>Split Rock Falls (roadside)
>Mossy Cascade (a short hike)

Also, if you want to see the Ausable, just below High Falls Gorge, you can walk in to the back of the DEC Wilmington Notch Campground and it's right there in the back; it pretty impressive.

Among these forums (these two and VFTT), I think there are several restaurant threads. Might be worth a search and a read to try something new and different.

Also, if there is a movie you want to see that's playing in Placid, the theater is a pretty neat building.

Happy Anniversary!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
bethfit

Sounds like a great weekend. The Wild Center is a great idea especially if you get a bad weather day like PA Ridgerunner recommended. A few years back we took a scenic flight from the local airport on a crystal clear day in October. A little "touristy", but we really enjoyed it. We usually lean towards more active things, but it was the perfect day and getting a tour of the area and the high peaks from the air in a small plane was pretty cool. Costs less than the spa day too! Enjoy your special weekend!
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The olympic center is ok, but it doesn't really offer enough to take up a significant amount of time.

You might ride the Gondola to Little Whiteface. This would give you a view from a mountain top with little effort.

Unfortunately, the train is done for the season- that would've been a great option.

I highly recommend the Eat n' Meet, in Saranac Lake. Really, really, really good food prepared completely from scratch. It does take 30-45 minutes to prepare, though, but it's well worth the wait.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Hey Josh,
Happy anniversary...which year? MDB (My Darling Bride) and I spent our 1st year anniversary in St Regis canoe area (a week, actually) and last year celebrated our 33rd year of marriage with a hike to Avalanche Lake and paddling on Moose Pond!

Have you thought about a tour of Placid Boatworks? That would be fun for me, how about you?
And if you were considering going all the way to Pottersville for caving, why not try Chimney Mt, near Indian Lake? Scores of caves and tons of fun, bring a flashlight and some rope...

My favorite thing to do around Lake Placid is to drive to Saranac Lake! For my tastes, it's much more authentic, and less expensive too!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Bob K

A few things I've enjoyed in the area:
Hike Ampersand Mtn. Not 4k but a great view, further west than the High Peaks.
Paddle the Chubb River S of Averyville Rd. Easy paddling (short portage), great views.
Powerboat rental on Lower Saranac Lake - tour the lake and possibly go through the locks (DIY this time of year) to Middle.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Josh Seeley

Thank you all very much for the great tips! This forum is the greatest... it never fails. Thanks again.

While I am always flexible, I think we'll start the day with a hike up Cascade and Porter. We've done Pitchoff a few times and I agree it's a great short hike. Then, maybe spend the afternoon at the Wild Center. Or, maybe check out Mossy Cascade Falls. I don't think we've seen those before. The scenic flight sounds really cool too, but my wife is pretty fearful of flying in small planes. Maybe I can convince her. Or I'll drug her with Xanax. Anyway, sounds like a cool idea! I'll look into it.

Thanks for the restaurant tips too. We'll be sure to check out Lisa G's and Eat n' Meet, either this trip or the next. Always appreciate tips on grub.

Thanks again!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

Happy Anniversary!

Au Sable Chazam is really a great experience.....a little pricy but worth it at least once.

If you go to Saranac Lake and you are both into fishing, spend an hour fishing Lake Colby right accross the street from the Saranac Lake Hospital. My wife caught a 17 inch rainbow trout a few years ago on a labor day weekend. We were just killing time and not even really trying.

If you are into a drive and own bikes go to the Santanoni Preserve in Newcomb and you can bike the 5 mile dirt carriage road and check out Camp Santanoni on Newcomb Lake, it's an amazing sight to see and it's free.
You can also walk/hike the carriage road.

It will only take a 1/2 hour but you could go up and see the ski jumps from the top which is pretty cool.

Have you done the drive up to Whiteface via the toll road?

If your not totally set on Cascade, look into Hurricane mtn, has a fire tower on top.

Enjoy the weekend. I hope the weather is good.
DEEPFOREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPFOREST View Post
Have you done the drive up to Whiteface via the toll road?
The toll road is closed for the season.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #12
dmartenvt

I would recommend the Wild Center, not High Falls Gorge though (pricey, over-rated if you are a seasoned hiker, OK if you are bringing kids because they enjoy the little mining for semi-precious stones at the end). The Olympic Center isn't my kind of thing, but I've never been. One thing to consider is renting a couple of kayaks on Saranac Lake and kayaking out to one of the islands for a picnic, if the weather is nice. You can rent kayaks on the lake at Ampersand Bay, though I'd call to make sure they are still open. http://www.ampersandbay.com/boating.html
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
Vermont Scott

Definitely hit the Wild Center and if you want to add some some very easy light hiking head over to the VIC at Paul Smith's and do the Barnum Brook Trail and Boreal Life Trail. Congratulations on the anniversary!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
Josh Seeley

Au Sable Chasm

Hey Deepforest,

Can you tell me more about the Au Sable Chasm? What is it like there? What do you like to do? Hike? Raft? Fill me in... you've peaked my interest. Or, made my decision making more difficult. We're driving up from Albany. Now, I can't decide if I want to continue west to Saranac Lake for some kayaking or up north to Au Sable Chasm to explore.

Thanks!

Josh
Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
yellowcanoe

http://www.ausablechasm.com/
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #16
KurtVon

EAT n MEAT in Saranac Lake. Best food ever!!
"To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Hereís where things grow. But of course, without the top you canít have any sides. Itís the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com
KurtVon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attractions, high peaks, lake placid, to do