Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
mudrat
Resident Slide Junkie

Gothics East Face Tour - 2016 March 12

Gothics' East Face (Rainbow Slide) remains one of my favorite climbs on the mountain though it's not particularly technical compared with the other faces. It's something I fall back to when I believe the other faces may be out of condition. It's also an area I find extremely relaxing. A moderate bushwhack from about 3,200 feet in elevation after the last stream crossing on the Weld Trail to Pyramid began the trek. We stayed high above Cascade Brook to avoid storm damage. It is beautiful terrain that suddenly opens to fantastic views of the various slabs of the face. This is also home to one of Jim Goodwin's fourth class climbs the Goodwin-Stanley Route.

Jim Wallace and Chris Lang joined me this time around. Brian Sutherland and friends kept us company from the trailhead to our jump-off point to theface. Temperatures started in the 30's Fahrenheit, but quickly jumped into the 50's. A few sketchy areas - vertical chunks of rotten ice and delaminated pitches - kept it interesting. We visited the Four Rings of Saturn, an ice climbing route that Matt Dobbs and I "put up" last March.

Only a few pillars and part of the crux remained. Higher, the low scraping sound of falling ice above a vertical cliff with multiple cascades of runoff grabbed our attention and reminded us of the objective dangers in the backcountry. We then approached the Rainbow Slide proper, the largest cleanest slab on this side of the mountain. This is a stunning area with the multi-colored slab adding depth to the arena.

Above it was a combination of soupy snow, delaminated ice and turf climbing. The caterpillar we found (see below) seemed to be enjoying temperatures in the 50's as we approached the summit overhangs. Higher and higher we climbed until the final bushwhack, a short nasty push through krummholz. A beautiful day with great company. Nice to get out with you guys!

Full Photo Set:
https://goo.gl/photos/FzUsamMnJCTa1DQy5
Video:
https://youtu.be/1QyOBqR66aM
Other East Face Outings: March 2012 ~ Feb. 2013 ~
June 2013 ~ Feb. 2015 (4 Rings of Saturn)

[/SIZE]

www.mackenziefamily.com/46/46r.html
mudrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gothics east face, high peaks, rainbow slide