Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
chriswebb

2016 Black Flies

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. Was planning to do some hiking around the Upper Works trailheads in the High Peaks this weekend. I was wondering how the Black Flies are this year? Also are the black flies generally worse or any better in the High Peaks region? If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Happy hiking!

Chris
chriswebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Bark Eater Too

In my experience, high peaks are less problematic that many places in the central ADKS. We were up last week. It was a very early spring and also many of the creeks and rivers were quite low. Of course things can change a lot in the mountains in a week. Black fly problems were intermittent at worst. But the mosquitoes and deer flies were out at times in force and hungry!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
Neil
Kayak-46

The best way to get rid of blackflies IMO would be to use gene drive technology to quickly render the entire female population sterile.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Tug Hill

Don't know about the High Peaks area, but on Tug Hill the Black flies are pretty much done. Deer flies are the problem now.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The best way to get rid of blackflies IMO would be to use gene drive technology to quickly render the entire female population sterile.

and the effect on the trout fishery would be????

Snow this weekend may shut them up temporarily.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

I've always heard that since blackflies like running water, the first heat wave that dries up all the little streamlets is the beginning of the end for that season.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
and the effect on the trout fishery would be????
I imagine that trout would readily switch to some other form of insect. As for the warblers, vireos and winter wrens, well who cares if you can't eat 'em?

Remove the black flies and other species will fill the niche. Hopefully, they will be of the non blood-sucking kind.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Ryan28

They were really bad at the top of Jay Mountain last weekend, I just put a head net on and problem solved.
Ryan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
chriswebb

Thanks for the input everyone! Very helpful. Hoping they aren't too bad this weekend. I'll post on how the flies are this weekend after I return. Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 06-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #10
MTVhike

Hiked in to Boreas Ponds yesterday. Zero black flies.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
forest dweller

Been pretty darn cold downstate lately...must be quite cold in the Adirondacks at night. What effect is this having on black flies? Will they be killed off or just postponed and go deeper into July than usual.

I need to get an Adirondack fix, it's been too long. Been holding out until July when the black flies have already come and gone, but would be nice if I could go sooner. Just don't want to go and end up being terrorized.

Last edited by forest dweller; 06-14-2016 at 05:34 PM..
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
yellowcanoe

Black flies never give up until the breeding is successful. They will have another hatch if mating season is unsuccessful

The best approach is to use permethrin ahead of time on your camp clothes, give up on bare skin and use some DEET on a bandana.

You might as well fight as best you can.

My house is in blackfly country and they have not been an issue this year as its been so darned windy.
Which leads me into looking for them again when the wind dies down whether its still June or September. Last year they were noticeable in Sept.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #13
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
Black flies never give up until the breeding is successful. They will have another hatch if mating season is unsuccessful

The best approach is to use permethrin ahead of time on your camp clothes, give up on bare skin and use some DEET on a bandana.

You might as well fight as best you can.

My house is in blackfly country and they have not been an issue this year as its been so darned windy.
Which leads me into looking for them again when the wind dies down whether its still June or September. Last year they were noticeable in Sept.
I would advise against DEET on a bandana given when you sweat it will likely be absorbed into your skin which is not good considering how toxic DEET is. Not as toxi as DDT but it's no picaridin.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #14
TCD

DEET has been tested for safety when applied directly to skin and is approved... Obviously don't drink it or take a bath in it, but it's safe for use.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

I've ruined favorite bandanas & hats by sparying them with deet, better to use Permethrin on clothing.

Here's some more info on Deet and other repellents...
http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/deetfacts.htm
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #16
chriswebb

Hey guys,

To follow up, I went to the Bradley pond/ Santanoni range this past weekend. No black flies whatsoever. Minimal flying insects at all. But we got hit by lots of rain for the weekend, so perhaps that was why.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:34 PM   #17
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
DEET has been tested for safety when applied directly to skin and is approved... Obviously don't drink it or take a bath in it, but it's safe for use.
As has been every other "safe" chemical? Tested by the manufacturer against standards bought and paid for? No thanks.

I use a handful of different natural scented things, they're mostly good for mosquitoes but do a decent job on the flies. I've also found that smelling nothing like civilized/soapy people helps as well. The more you smell like dirt, the less you smell like a person.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:56 PM   #18
forest dweller

I don't want to bathe in chemicals to be able to enjoy my time out in the forest. Can everybody chime in on where you were recently and how bad the black flies were. Wanna get an idea of whether they are bad, getting worse or getting better...although I know that probably varies from place to place.
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #19
hookman33

I was out all day yesterday at a variety of ponds in the Saranac/Tupper Lake area. Didn't see a single black fly. But, the deer flies are out in force!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #20
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
I don't want to bathe in chemicals to be able to enjoy my time out in the forest. Can everybody chime in on where you were recently and how bad the black flies were. Wanna get an idea of whether they are bad, getting worse or getting better...although I know that probably varies from place to place.
I've found that wearing a headnet is a great alternative to the chemicals that I too despise.

Tags
black, black flies, flies, fly, high peaks