Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
ChrisX24

Alternative route to Mts. Adams + Allen

I'm planning a hike to Mt. Adams later in August and noted that the swinging bridge over the Hudson River and floating bridge over Lake Jimmy are out, on the approach to Adams and Allen from the Upper Works trailhead.

Perusing the High Peaks ADK Maps, I note a possible detour through the Tahawus Works on a road, crossing a railroad track? And then picking up the trail from the edge of the works complex which takes you past Lake Sally to the original trails to Adams and Allen? Is such a hike possible, now that I recall from reading an article that the previously-private Tahawus Works and adjacent lands are now in the planning stages to be opened to the public for hiking, canoeing, if not already?

How else did the repair crew carry the cement bags, wood planks, wire netting for the restoration of the Mt. Adams fire tower? Surely they couldn't have carried these materiel through the waters of the Hudson and Lake Jimmy?

Thanks in advance for any information,

Christopher Lehfeldt
Rochester, NY
46R #5621, NE 111 #621
ChrisX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Lots of private land back in there. In order to take advantage of those routes, I believe that you need to be a member of the hunting club that leases that land in order to take advantage of that route (the members can actually drive almost to the start of the herd path!). I don't know about the specifics of plans to open this to the public, but I do know that nothing is open yet.

The only alternative for the general hiking public to avoid the crossings is to come via Flowed Lands and the Opalescent River trail. A much longer approach, but a worthwhile one if you're willing to do the extra mileage- you get to see Hanging Spear Falls, a worthwhile destination in it's own right.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX24 View Post
...How else did the repair crew carry the cement bags, wood planks, wire netting for the restoration of the Mt. Adams fire tower? Surely they couldn't have carried these materiel through the waters of the Hudson and Lake Jimmy?
Yup. They did.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

I helped one weekend, the Hudson is only knee deep or so, the Jimmy bridge is one bad section but passable and really only 4ft deep at that part so yes we and others did, just used water shoes and change on the other side.
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
rickhart

"The only alternative for the general hiking public to avoid the crossings is to come via Flowed Lands and the Opalescent River trail. A much longer approach, but a worthwhile one if you're willing to do the extra mileage- you get to see Hanging Spear Falls, a worthwhile destination in it's own right."

That's what I did -- I camped up there. It was a nice area, and the falls are great. It was also one of my bear sighting occasions, though not a problem. Actually it was so long ago I was bear bagging: pre-canister! At that time as I remember, Allen was considered more of an overnight and not so many did it as a day hike. Or maybe I was deluded, but it was a fun trip anyway. About 20 years ago.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adams, allen, jimmy, sally