Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
ADK46er
Droid

Question Winter Day Hikes in the ADKs

Hello everyone-
I'm happy to have stumbled upon this forum and don't know why I haven't joined sooner. I know there are probably a ton of threads just like mine, but hopefully you guys could help me out, as I've been looking through some of the more recent ones and haven't found any exactly related.

I frequently hike and camp in the spring/summer/fall seasons throughout the park, and have gone winter camping (overnight) a handful of times. However, this year for the winter season I have the notion that I would like to complete a bunch of winter day hikes, as winter camping can get very cumbersome and I would be able to do and see a lot more this way.

Can anybody suggest any great winter day hikes that they may know about? I am looking for hikes that are somewhat unique and rewarding; maybe with a lot of visual beauty, or unique terrain, or some place remote, or maybe even something of interest at the end of the hike. I am not opposed to hiking mountains, but I am not looking for any high peaks. Moderate at best.

I would say preferably less than 5 miles, maybe more like 3, but I can give and take on distance. It would be me and a buddy or two going, and we have all of the necessary gear. Lastly, if you have a place in mind, can you specify whether snowshoes, crampons, or just boots would be best for your specific hike (assuming you know).

Thanks a lot for any help you may have.
ADK46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

What gear you're going to need is probably going to depend a lot more on the conditions than it is upon the specific hike itself. I would pay attention to trip reports in the weeks/days leading up to your hikes. If there is any major elevation gain at all, it's not inconceivable that crampons could required on that trail at some point. I've been on some pretty dinky little mountains in the Adirondacks that were covered in solid ice and there's no way I would've been able to summit them without crampons.

In general, crampons tend to be needed more during the weeks immediately before and after the beginning of winter (December 21), when there is plenty of ice but not much snow to cover it. Usually by February, there is a decent snow pack covering the ice and you're a lot less likely to need crampons on a hike.

Any of the fire tower mountains would be great for winter hiking, particularly the ones in your distance criteria. You're usually guaranteed views (if the weather holds up), and they are popular enough that they are well-traveled, decreasing the likelihood that you'll have to break trail through deep snow. In particular, St. Regis, Hurricane, Blue Mountain, and Goodnow would be great destinations for a winter hike.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
adirondackcamper

I feel like I always suggust the same place in every thread like this hahaa. It's because i've only been to one wilderness area in the park so far. So with that being said, I post a similar thread like this one not to long ago. Pharaoh Lakes Wilderness Area is ( from what i've read on here) one of the best winter destinations in the Adirondack park. Alot of folks on here ski back here in winter. It's one of if not the most popular areas, outside of the high peaks in the entire park. So I imagine you won't have to break trail though deep snow as, Dsettahr stated about the fire towers. I also want to note, if you're a big fan of lean-to's as I am, Pharaoh Lake WA won't disappoint. There are 6 on Pharaoh Lake alone, as well as about 8 others in fairly close proximity. Let me know if you are interested in checking out this area I can give you some more info. Welcome to the fourm
adirondackcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackcamper View Post
I also want to note, if you're a big fan of lean-to's as I am, Pharaoh Lake WA won't disappoint. There are 6 on Pharaoh Lake alone, as well as about 8 others in fairly close proximity. Let me know if you are interested in checking out this area I can give you some more info. Welcome to the fourm
I would bet that the lean-tos on Pharaoh Lake are pretty cold and windy in the winter- given how big the lake is, and how exposed most of those lean-tos are.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

If you like to bushwhack, the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Silver Lake Wilderness, Siamese Ponds Wilderness, Dix Mtn Wilderness, Hammond Pond Wild Forest, and the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest are amongst my favorite areas to get off trail with snowshoes.

Welcome to ADKforum ADK46er...
Are you taking a leak in your avatar?

Last edited by Justin; 12-14-2012 at 03:57 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
ADK46er
Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
What gear you're going to need is probably going to depend a lot more on the conditions than it is upon the specific hike itself. I would pay attention to trip reports in the weeks/days leading up to your hikes. If there is any major elevation gain at all, it's not inconceivable that crampons could required on that trail at some point. I've been on some pretty dinky little mountains in the Adirondacks that were covered in solid ice and there's no way I would've been able to summit them without crampons.

In general, crampons tend to be needed more during the weeks immediately before and after the beginning of winter (December 21), when there is plenty of ice but not much snow to cover it. Usually by February, there is a decent snow pack covering the ice and you're a lot less likely to need crampons on a hike.

Any of the fire tower mountains would be great for winter hiking, particularly the ones in your distance criteria. You're usually guaranteed views (if the weather holds up), and they are popular enough that they are well-traveled, decreasing the likelihood that you'll have to break trail through deep snow. In particular, St. Regis, Hurricane, Blue Mountain, and Goodnow would be great destinations for a winter hike.
Thanks for the tips and locations... Blue was one that I have been thinking about as well so that will probably be my first adventure this winter. The fire towers are a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackcamper View Post
I feel like I always suggust the same place in every thread like this hahaa. It's because i've only been to one wilderness area in the park so far. So with that being said, I post a similar thread like this one not to long ago. Pharaoh Lakes Wilderness Area is ( from what i've read on here) one of the best winter destinations in the Adirondack park. Alot of folks on here ski back here in winter. It's one of if not the most popular areas, outside of the high peaks in the entire park. So I imagine you won't have to break trail though deep snow as, Dsettahr stated about the fire towers. I also want to note, if you're a big fan of lean-to's as I am, Pharaoh Lake WA won't disappoint. There are 6 on Pharaoh Lake alone, as well as about 8 others in fairly close proximity. Let me know if you are interested in checking out this area I can give you some more info. Welcome to the fourm
Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into the Pharaoh WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If you like to bushwhack, the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Silver Lake Wilderness, Siamese Ponds Wilderness, Dix Mtn Wilderness, Hammond Pond Wild Forest, and the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest are amongst my favorite areas to get off trail with snowshoes.

Welcome to ADKforum ADK46er...
Are you taking a leak in your avatar?
I have never bushwhacked but always wanted to attempt. Do you have any "starter" bushwhacks in mind that you may know of?

NO! I am not taking a leak lol... I didn't realize that picture might come across like that until you said something! My hands were just in my pockets as I was observing!
ADK46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK46er View Post
NO! I am not taking a leak lol... I didn't realize that picture might come across like that until you said something! My hands were just in my pockets as I was observing!
A hike where this is an un-marked herd path is a good place to start. You won't be able to rely on signs or trail markers, but you'll still likely have a decent tread to follow. Some of the easier "trail-less" high peaks (like Tabletop or Esther) would be good bets. They'll force you to do a little bit more research in advance, and put a little bit more effort into route finding on your hike, without putting yourself significantly outside your comfort and ability level.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK46er View Post
NO! I am not taking a leak lol...

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
ADK46er
Droid

Quote: