Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
mschmidt

First time hiking advice?

Hi! I'm a pretty experienced hiker on trails in and around the finger lakes, but I've never hiked in the adirondacks before, and I want something that's a challenge but won't endanger my life unnecessarily. I will have a hiking partner, and both of us are 18 and in good shape.

Now, my preference is Mount Marcy, and I'd like to know if this is possible to accomplish in one day? We'd be going sometime during July or August. I could just use all the information I can.

If this is too much of a challenge, we'd go with Buck Mountain instead, but would really love to do the challenge of Marcy.

Thanks!
mschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Hi Mschmidt, welcome. I hoping this isn't a spam post. We've been getting a lot of these type of random easy-answer threads lately.
Most fit folks can do Marcy in a day, assuming you're not peak bagging any other mountains that same day.
The Adirondack High Peaks region is a very popular area, and you may wish to also ask your question at www.adkhighpeaks.com if you haven't already.
It may also help to know which Buck Mountain you are referring to, as there are many Buck Mountains throughout the entire Adirondack State Park.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
albert

You should be able to hike mount marcy easily in one day it's a pretty nice hike just make sure to take extra clothes for near the peak because it gets pretty cold at the top
Old 05-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
TCD

And start early...always makes the day more pleasant.

And take headlamps just in case; also makes the evening more pleasant, in case it takes longer than you expect.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Mike P.

Fit 18 year olds should be fine with an early start, warm clothes in a pack with food and water and headlamps, just in case. If referring to Buck in the Lake George area, there is a lot of variation between those two.

If you were unsure about a 15 mile round trip, there are many closer to Marcy you can do. Phelps, Cascade & Porter or Wright's are not too hard and are usually people's first few peaks. (many do Marcy also. I did as I initally was looking at State High Points but opted for Northeast peakbagging.)
Mike P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiking