Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Lake Lila a photo essay

It's been many years since I last camped on Lila...too many.

More to come
Old 10-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Weather at home was not so promising

Traditional pit stop at the overlook provided scant views

Thankfully, by the time we got to the parking lot, the skies were blue

Old 10-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

There was a stiff WSW wind at the put in

But even the newbies were OK

We chose to stay on the tennis courts and site 10

Last edited by stripperguy; 10-02-2018 at 09:12 PM..
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

After an OK sunset (we were at the western side) the stars came out

The sky was completely clear and the Milky Way was shining bright overhead

And.....then came the moonrise

We also celebrated not one, but two birthdays (actually that day 16 and 26)

Old 10-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Next morning was foggy, as it should be

Soon after sunrise, the sun burned through the mist

We had some trouble to fire up the Kellys, everything was stilled soaked

What to do when you lose your spoon? Whittle a new one!

A hike to the Nehasane train station was sad, knowing what it once was

Old 10-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

After the train station, we took the short hike to the ledges on Frederica
We stayed on top for over 2 hours, there were no other hikers

Then some of us paddled down the Beaver River for a mile or so

Another fire after dinner kept us warm as the temps eventually got down to 32F

Come Sunday morning, all that's left is to tear down and paddle out

Many more pics here if anyone is interested.
Thanks for reading along
Old 10-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
yardsale

We were just there three days ago, staying at a very windy 18. I have a few questions about the area.

1. Where is the old train station relative to, say site 7 where you access the Frederika trail?

2. Many of the old logs on the side of Beaver River were cut off at both ends. Was this waterway used to transport logs earlier? Other reasons why these huge logs would have been cut at each end with the central section left on the river.

3. Haven't yet learned to post photos, but we saw some bark with with regular lines of 1" diameter holes running long ways on a large downed tree. Must have been 10 lines across. What would have made such a complex wound in the tree? (Will work on learning to post photos)

4. Who lugged a 4' section of railroad rail (300lbs??) onto site 18, and more importantly, why?

5 FYI there is a nice bare ledge about 1/4 mile NE of Frederica that was a nice bushwack from the road (go up the gradual east side) with an interesting stone structure on the top. Drop down slightly from the top for best views.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #9
Blackflie

What is the collective noun for a trio of Kellys? a brew?
Old 10-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Thank you for posting the photo essay. The pictures are beautiful. I've been thinking of going to Lila and Lows next summer for my trip, and this makes it even more appealing.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We were just there three days ago, staying at a very windy 18. I have a few questions about the area.

1. Where is the old train station relative to, say site 7 where you access the Frederika trail?

2. Many of the old logs on the side of Beaver River were cut off at both ends. Was this waterway used to transport logs earlier? Other reasons why these huge logs would have been cut at each end with the central section left on the river.

3. Haven't yet learned to post photos, but we saw some bark with with regular lines of 1" diameter holes running long ways on a large downed tree. Must have been 10 lines across. What would have made such a complex wound in the tree? (Will work on learning to post photos)

4. Who lugged a 4' section of railroad rail (300lbs??) onto site 18, and more importantly, why?

5 FYI there is a nice bare ledge about 1/4 mile NE of Frederica that was a nice bushwack from the road (go up the gradual east side) with an interesting stone structure on the top. Drop down slightly from the top for best views.
YS,
The 1st time MDB and I stayed there we were on site 16, but there were no numbers back then...
Train station is about 1/2 mile N of trail to Frederica. From the ledges above, you can look down directly at the roof tops, or what's left of them.

I'm sure the Beaver River was used to transport logs, some of those square cut deadfalls were HUGE!

Photo posting is easy enough. Use a third party host (Google Photos, Flickr, etc) and a right click to copy photo location. Then it's just a couple clicks here to add a photo.

No idea about the pin holes or the rail...Zach knows his trees pretty well, maybe he knows if it was insect or bird.

I've been up on those other ledges. I couldn't convince any of the gang to head there, they all wanted views of the high peaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflie View Post
What is the collective noun for a trio of Kellys? a brew?
Teaghlaigh??? I dunno!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Thank you for posting the photo essay. The pictures are beautiful. I've been thinking of going to Lila and Lows next summer for my trip, and this makes it even more appealing.
Zach
Zach,
I think you would really like it. You could do a loop from LTL to Lila pretty easily. The loop from Lila to Bog River has quite a bit more challenging logistics, but still can be done solo. Both would be sooo much easier with a shuttle to move your bike. Maybe one of us here could line up our schedules with you and shuttle your bike and trailer.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
Justin
Moving along

Nice photos Mike, thanks for sharing with us.
One of these days I gotta check out Lila.
Was it busy?
Old 10-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #13
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Nice photos Mike, thanks for sharing with us.
One of these days I gotta check out Lila.
Was it busy?
We arrived at the parking lot at about 12 noon on Friday. There was a group of 8 Menonites? (looked Amish, but they don't drive) just hitting the water at the same time. 8 cars in the parking lot, not counting us.
During the entire weekend, we saw maybe 10 other people, mostly from a distance.
When we were leaving, we saw 2 groups totaling 6 people carrying out.

Given that there are 24 designated sites, I'd say it was not anywhere near capacity. One of the nicest sites on Canada Island, remained open all weekend.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #14
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:

That rail section ended up at 18 a number of years ago (at least 5).
Partly my fault, I found it near the trail to the tennis courts site and pulled it out of the brush / leaves so that others could see part of the history of the area...
Why 18, you ask? That particular site tends to attract some very "interesting" groups during the height of the summer, as evidenced by ample garbage, live tree cuttings, and occasional TP flower just shy of pit privy.

There are a number of summits in the area that are still stripped bare from the fires of the turn of 20th century, so with some whackin' one can get a glimpse of different valleys and remains of what was once there.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Who lugged a 4' section of railroad rail (300lbs??) onto site 18, and more importantly, why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
That rail section ended up at 18 a number of years ago (at least 5).
Partly my fault, I found it near the trail to the tennis courts site and pulled it out of the brush / leaves so that others could see part of the history of the area...
I’ve done the same, when mother nature begins to cover up significant area historical remains I’ll often pull them out a bit when I find them and brush off the leaves & sticks a bit to help keep that historical ‘discovery’ alive. Years later I’ll also occasionally find them at or near a nearby campsite, and sometimes see them used for something silly like a makeshift table or bench or similar. Usually not a big deal in my opinion, and I’d guess maybe that’s “why” some people decide to take a piece of nearby history and include it at a nearby modern day camping site.

One thing is for sure, trying to reconstruct pieces of an old leather shoe that you found the remains of only a couple years ago is definitely no easy task! http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=25581

Last edited by Justin; 10-03-2018 at 10:29 PM..
Old 10-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #16
Zach

Yardsale, I'm sorry, I don't know about the holes in the tree, I have seen some odd holes at times and wondered what caused them. In my experience woodpecker holes can be quite regularly spaced and sometimes quite round, but they tend to go through the bark and at least a good way into the wood. There are some bugs that only go under the bark to the cambium layer (I think that's the word I want) but not further into the wood, though a 1" round hole seems kind of big for a bug.

Stripperguy, I will need to do some reading up on the options in the area. I'm thinking of an out-and-back trip since I don't know in advance when I'll be there as my final decision is based on the weather. Do you have a recommendation of a book or map that I should get that shows the carries and such? I have some information in a 2001 edition of Discover the NW ADKs. I have also thought about treating each lake as a separate trip and not trying to do a series of carries, but I've got 10-1/2 months to figure it out and make a plan.
Zach
Old 10-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #17
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Zach,
Dave Cilley's guide book and companion map are about the most up to date info there is, except for here, of course!!

https://www.amazon.com/Adirondack-Pa.../dp/0974632090

Also, the DEC map for the area shows designated campsites, but not necessarily the carries for a through trip.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...mapwhitney.pdf

For a Lila to Lows trip, head down Harrington Brook to the tracks, down the tracks to the trail for Clear Pond, through Clear and Bog Lake to Lows. If you need more details, just ask...Many have done this route, so you can get a wide variety of descriptions. Myself, I don't care for Lows that much, the private holding can and does run a generator and/or motorboat from time to time.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #18
Zach

Thanks very much for the information. I did a search of the site for 'harrington' and got several very helpful trip reports that included that section, including one of yours from 5 years ago or so. My primary reason for wanting to visit Lows as well as Lila is that I like mountains that are next to lakes, and Grass Pond Mountain looks particularly nice, as does Frederica. I like your idea of spending the night on Grass Pond Mountain to watch the sunset and sunrise. I've really enjoyed getting to see both from Chimney Mountain and I think the view at Grass Pond should be even nicer. I think it should be a reasonable plan to stay at Lila on the second night of my trip (since I can't get all the way there in one day on the bike) and then go up to Grass Pond for the third night. Then I'll have seen enough of both lakes to decide where I'd rather be for the last two nights before I'd have to get on the bike again. Thanks for posting all the pictures and reports.
Zach
Old 11-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #19
shiraz627
Gary

Great pics! Love your setup on the Aluma.
shiraz627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:17 PM   #20
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraz627 View Post
Great pics! Love your setup on the Aluma.
Thanks...

I'm not satisfied with the Aluma. I mean, I love the trailer itself (5 x 8 feet), but it's not ideal for carrying longer boats.
When I carry my and MDB's solos, everything is fine. But when I need to carry some 17 and 18 foot boats, I have to shift the hulls so far back (to not hit the tow vehicle, especially on turns) that the trailer tongue becomes unloaded, or nearly so. This makes for poor and possibly dangerous towing.

I'll likely find a cheap trailer next year, tear it apart, and build my own dedicated canoe trailer. I built trailers before, and it'll be pretty easy.