Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
higuy111

Lightbulb Exceptional human being needs best hiking boots!

Hello,

Few months ago I started taking hiking quite seriously and now I tend to hike more and more miles every week.
My health and stamina improved significantly - that's one of the benefits. Right now I can walk at least 2 miles without the risk of dying

It seems like I am becoming a super hero.

Although, I couldn't help noticing that my footwear does not like my new hiking habits.
So after a second cheap pair of boots I decided it's time to invest in a decent pair of proper hiking boots.

Main requirements: durable, lightweight, comfortable, awesome.

After some research and trying out some boots in local stores I am being torn between two choices: KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoes and Merrell Men’s Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoes you can see them HERE: http://spam.com/

I really liked the feel of both, although, the option 2 seems a bit more comfortable, but I heard that option 1 tends to be more durable.

I would be grateful if you could share your opinion. Which one would you choose?
(yes, I've been wearing the same socks I am going to hike in)

Thank you!

Last edited by Neil; 01-24-2017 at 03:47 PM..
Old 01-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
MrKawfey

Hi, Guy.
Just getting out there makes you more active than 98.6% of all humans and that's a fact! Might be an "alternative" fact but, hey, just as valid right!

Ok, here's my 2 cents worth:
I have the ventilators and have mixed feelings about them. They are my first trail shoes, I have always been a heavy boot guy. I first looked at them because they come in wide sizes and I have wide feet. I bought them because they were super comfortable in the store.

After wearing them a bit I find two things bug me about them. At first I thought the breathability would be great for a light trail shoe, but the lack of waterproofing is more of a problem than the breathability is a benefit. There is a waterproof version that I wish I had purchased.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about stomping through streams. Just running into Lowes on a rainy day makes me dodge puddles. They are no better than sneakers in this department.

Second, the foot bed turned out to be awful. The heel area is super thin. It's ironic because when I bought my vasque boots at ems they had a bin under the bench with discarded footbeds from people who had purchased super foot insoles. I found a pair of Merrell foot beds that were much more comfortable than the vasque ones and they let me have them.

Additionally, in all my boots I have always had a pair of Dr sholes inserts for years. The ones you get when you use their machine in Walmart. These are meant to go on top of the stock footbeds.

I stuck them in the ventilators and, while they fixed the heel pain problem, there was not enough volume in the heel area. This meant I was not in the pocket and my heel was slipping out with every step. So, next up, I swapped the unused vasque food beds for the stock ones and now they feel great.

So I have vasque beds in my merrells and Merrell beds in my Vasques.

Sorry for the long winded post. Summary: super comfortable shoes after switching the footbeds but lack of waterproofing limits their functionality.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
JerseyHighlander

Merrel are some of the worst made boots I've ever worn.

The heavy duty sneakers you linked to are made for walking on a flat, graded bike path or dirt road, in completely dry weather, not for hiking.

"Durable virtually never goes hand in hand with "lightweight". Personally, I can't say I've ever actually noticed the weight of something I'm wearing on my feet.

If you are actually "hiking" get boots. Real boots, that don't have Gortex, made from all leather, with soles that are sewn on, not glued, made in Europe or USA, not Asia. Oh, an unlike the sneakers, they go up over your ankles, to offer some measure of support and keep the water and gravel out.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I'm on my third pair of Moabs. They're the most comfortable pair of hiking shoes I've owned. I find that they last me about a year and a half to two years, averaging 90+ days of hiking in a year (plus just general use on days I'm not hiking).

I find that the non-waterproof option is great for summer hiking- yes, your feet get wet but the shoes dry out very quickly. I agree with MrKawfey's comments about the lack of versatility as a regular shoe to wear around town without the waterproofing. I actually picked up an additional set of sneakers that are waterproof for use as a regular shoe in inclement weather, and as a hiking shoe in late Autumn/early Spring conditions.

It's super important to note with footwear especially, though, that there's a lot of variability. What works for one person may not necessarily work for the next. It's important to try a lot of different options and not settle until you find shoes that work for you.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
Trail Boss

Why does this new forum member's very first post smell like click bait for the readytohike website?

After all, who the hell crowdsources their footwear? Wear what fits you well and suits the intended purpose.

Do these boots make my feet look fat?
Old 01-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
JerseyHighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Why does this new forum member's very first post smell like click bait for the readytohike website?

After all, who the hell crowdsources their footwear? Wear what fits you well and suits the intended purpose.

I had the same initial reaction. Guess I'm in gullible mode today.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #7
JerseyHighlander

yep, quick google search and the same exact post is on practically every hiking forum on the web.

Oh well, at least I got to rant about Merrel's crappy quality again.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #8
MrKawfey

Man, I can't believe I didn't pick up on that right away. My first reaction was "hey, a guy's asking about something I own. I can spare a few minutes to help him out". Never got past that part. Must have had a brain tumor for breakfast today.

No good deed goes unpunished
Old 01-24-2017, 03:54 AM   #9
higuy111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
Hi, Guy.
Just getting out there makes you more active than 98.6% of all humans and that's a fact! Might be an "alternative" fact but, hey, just as valid right!

Ok, here's my 2 cents worth:
I have the ventilators and have mixed feelings about them. They are my first trail shoes, I have always been a heavy boot guy. I first looked at them because they come in wide sizes and I have wide feet. I bought them because they were super comfortable in the store.

After wearing them a bit I find two things bug me about them. At first I thought the breathability would be great for a light trail shoe, but the lack of waterproofing is more of a problem than the breathability is a benefit. There is a waterproof version that I wish I had purchased.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about stomping through streams. Just running into Lowes on a rainy day makes me dodge puddles. They are no better than sneakers in this department.

Second, the foot bed turned out to be awful. The heel area is super thin. It's ironic because when I bought my vasque boots at ems they had a bin under the bench with discarded footbeds from people who had purchased super foot insoles. I found a pair of Merrell foot beds that were much more comfortable than the vasque ones and they let me have them.

Additionally, in all my boots I have always had a pair of Dr sholes inserts for years. The ones you get when you use their machine in Walmart. These are meant to go on top of the stock footbeds.

I stuck them in the ventilators and, while they fixed the heel pain problem, there was not enough volume in the heel area. This meant I was not in the pocket and my heel was slipping out with every step. So, next up, I swapped the unused vasque food beds for the stock ones and now they feel great.

So I have vasque beds in my merrells and Merrell beds in my Vasques.

Sorry for the long winded post. Summary: super comfortable shoes after switching the footbeds but lack of waterproofing limits their functionality.
Hi! Thanks for encouragement

So just to clarify - would you still choose heavier shoes? Even when they are less comfortable?

Thank you for your answer.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:02 AM   #10
higuy111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post

Thank you for your opinion.

I am sorry you got confused about my post.

You know, when budget is limited, I tend to get the best out of it. Right now writing and asking for advice here seemed like a good option.

Yeah, I know it has to be comfortable and fit your feet. But there are other aspects like materials, durability.

Maybe there are people who regret buying any of these pairs. Maybe there are people who would offer alternatives.

It's good to learn from your mistakes, but it's always better to combine that and learning from mistakes that other people made, I believe.

I would be grateful if you could suggest anything

Thank you
Old 01-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #11
Trail Boss

Your very first post on this forum requested others to comment on two models of hiking shoes and then, instead of providing links to the manufacturer's website, you linked to a blog page containing only one post. Sure sounds like an attempt to draw eyeballs to a fledgling blog.

BTW, the blog page contains an error. The title of the first pair of shoes is the same as the second pair. The author may want to correct it ...

PS
Maybe I'm being overly suspicious. You can prove me wrong by editing your first post and replacing the link to the blog with links to Keen and Merrell.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #12
Neil
Kayak-46

I agree with Trail Boss. Between the attention-getting thread title and the link to the blog it looks and smells like spam to me.

The clincher is in finding the same post copy-pasted into several other hiking sites.