Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #21
madmike

-pack
-tarp
-filter/bottle
-map/compass
-calorie dense food (summer sausage, cheese etc.)
-headlamp
-mora knife
-flint
--in plastic bag--
-sleeping bag appropriate for season
-min clothes appropriate for season. (protection from bugs, sun, heat, rain, cold)
-boots and crocks

I keep a cold camp to save weight. No stove, pot. Camp is not comfortable, but the trail is.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
Adirondack
Adirondack Cameraperson

Small bag with shoulder and waist strap, light, fire, trail mix, cheese, water, jacket and pants. GO

My Hikes - http://www.peakbagger.com/List.aspx?lid=5120&cid=2041

more photos http://www.adkforum.com/album.php?albumid=60
Adirondack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower 1 View Post
Cutting down on the bulk can be as important as the weight.
For water bottles i use military canteens with canteen covers which also holds my metal canteen cups. these are good boiling water and heating small meals.
It can also be hooked to the outside of your pack saving room. They also make canteen cup stoves that will all fit in the cover. The best part is that all of this stuff can be picked up at army/navy surplus stores stores really cheap.
A 3$ canteen works just as good as a 20$ water bottle.
$20 bucks for a water bottle, where are you shopping ??? nalgene on clearence at sports ath. less than $2...canteen, much heavier I would think.
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #24
colinzeye
Mountain Junkie

I agree with DuctTape, and it appears that we agree quite often on many threads...But either way, why carry so much weight when it can be cut WAY down, don't beat your head against the wall of weight ....
Unless I am in the High Peaks, I cut a lot of weight by carrying a Kevlar Bear Bag, Paracord, and common sense...eliminating my "UltraLight" Bear Vault, cuts 2.9#s alone!!!!
But beyond that, here is my list for MOST backcountry trips:
Sleeping pad
Sleeping bag
One change of clothes (Pants, Tshirt, socks)
Hammock (no tent, but I do have a GoLite 2#'s if I need one)
Footprint/tarp
Bladder
Whisperlite stove
1 canister of fuel
1 bowl
1 cup
1 gas station spork
Multi tool
Helle knife on my belt
Self Made MRE's
roasted edamame for snacking
head lamp (no flashlights)
med kit to fit in my waist belt
Deck of cards (if Im not alone) or Journal (if I am solo)
Needle and Thread
Firestarter (cotton balls and paraffin)
Wax Dipped Matches and Lighter
1 warm jacket
Rain jacket
Compass

Trekking poles with duct tape on them in case I need to make a repair
Boots

That list felt longer than it should be as I am typing it, but when it comes down to it, I am around 25-30#s tops....My 60L pack has plenty of room in it as well. I can put my clothes, sleeping back and hammock in 1 med compression sack which doubles as my pillow. There is no need for a knife AND a multi tool, but for some reason I NEVER leave my house without a knife. I don't carry extra batteries, because before every trip I put new ones in and recycle the old ones in TV remotes or my kids toys.
colinzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #25
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Just checked my pack weight yesterday...so far it's 20.7 lbs without food. My camera and PFD will add 3lb and 1 lb respectively.
All my food is dried at home, I have only a Kelly Kettle now.
I do bring an old Coleman camp stool (with a back on it), 13 oz of comfort.
1 full change of clothes
tent (solo), sleeping bag(down), sleeping pad(Neoair)
Rain gear, hat, gloves
Folding saw
Water filter/ nalgene bottle, plastic spoon, paper cup
Toothpaste/toothbrush
Multitool(mini), reading glasses, compass, map, GPS, Ibuprofen, lip balm, lighter, LED flashlight, small mirror

I think that's everything...no fuel needed, no phone, no bored games, or is it board games?, no bowls, no plates

It's kind of funny, I refuse to compromise on my camera...it will comprise nearly 1/8 of my total pack weight, but I really want those high res memories!!
Old 06-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #26
dpkress

Mt Marcy weekend - Equipment list

I apologize for not being able to locate one and the link in this thread is broken.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a comprehensive equipment list for a weekend Mt Marcy trek? I've climbed Marcy 3 times. But this will be my first time leading a group, and I want to make sure I am well prepared.

The plan is to hike into Marcy Dam, Friday evening, September 30th 2016. We will sleep in a lean-to and start the climb Saturday morning.

My buddy recommended microspikes just in case.
dpkress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #27
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

If you've climbed Marcy 3 times, I'd start with the list of gear you brought and then compare it with the many lists available online to see if there is anything to add. For example, REI has many backpacking gear lists: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...ml#backpacking

Another great tool is Andrew Skurka's gear list template: backpacking-gear-list-template-checklist-3-season/

I agree that Marcy in late September can turn into early winter conditions very quickly. Everyone should bring map and compass, and know how to use them in case of a whiteout. Microspikes might be needed, depending on the current conditions. Keep checking the weather and trip reports to see if ice is forming. However, if this is your first time leading a group, you might want to consider a less tumultuous peak.
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:25 PM   #28
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

+1 debmonster, def bring spikes, and also Plan Ahead And Prepare - set up some predetermined check-in/bail-out points, if things get weird, or weathery, or both. Stop and take inventory as a group, and make the call.

The view from Indian Falls is nice and might have to suffice, as are the two 'trailless' peaks on the way up. The larger the group, the slower the travel, so plan that in as well, and you'll always have a turtle at the rear.

If you wake up Saturday morning and its snowing or raining, I'd consider something else. Lake Colden in the snow is beautiful, although Avalanche Pass might be crappy in the snow.

Of course you're probably equally likely to get 60 degrees and pure blue skies, so you might have an epic day.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote