Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
rbi99

Cats in the Daks

This is probably way off the wall, but has anyone gone packing with their cat?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
St.Regis

I bet a hungry coyote or fisher would love it if you brought your cat along on a hike

Scratch the cat. Just bring booze
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
sacredloon
Administrator

I used to have a cat named Buster that loved to go hiking. I used to take him in the winter too and he loved camping with me. He was a real wild soul, and loved to be free. He trotted along nice and quick like a dog and his pads got nice and tough from all the trips. Never needed a leash either because he came when I called him. He slept in my sleeping bag with me in the tent and we were best buddies.
He died when he was 6 from Cancer. I have 3 cats now but they all stay inside because of Lyme disease and cars!

I don't think your off the wall at all. Just be careful not to over exert your cat because in the beginning their paws can be tender and not used to the woods!
Have fun, be careful. make sure he/she likes being put in a backpack before you try it on the trail!
sacredloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:00 AM   #4
Woodsman

Lots of animals hunt Cats - including Bobcats.

I'd worry myself.
Woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
whitefish
Administrator

our cats are outside cats, they hike more than we do, lol.

one goes everywhere we go, you can't leave him behind, he'll swim if he has to in order to keep you in sight.

a few mentioned predators, crows and owls are the bigget problem with cats here, but the cats they learn to make their nests and have their litters in woodpiles or old culverts, the kittens are pretty spooky at first, some never settle down enough to come inside for more than a minute or five, they will come in and eat, then beat it back outside, keep the snakes, mice and weasels down, also the down side is less bunnies and what not around the house too, they are hell on chipmunks, squirrels and will not take much crap from coons, fisher or mink, bobcats don't hang around much unless one is in heat, big predators don't bother them, either can't catch them, don't want to tangle with them and the hounds around the house keep them back where they are safe.
always something bigger and meaner out there...critters find there place and stay there
Old 12-31-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
tenpennys
Administrator

My cat, George, does travel with me when I hike. Any animal short of a bear would be best advise to leave him alone. George is 29inches from tip of his nose to base of tail, add another 14 inches for his tail & you have a very large cat, his weight is greater than 27 pounds. His one flaw unfortunately is he is as thick skull as George of the Jungle is....hence his name! Hope everyone has a Great new year....Cheers!
tenpennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
Roland
Voyageur

Saw a guy skiing last year with a cat in a harness on his shoulder, that dude was a hit with ladies in the lodge...
Old 12-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
coolrobc

...which explains the kitty harness.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
coolrobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
sheri

I think a puppy would have gotten him more phone numbers
sheri is offline   Reply With Quote