Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
Banjoe

Garbage, Useful, or Banjo Joke?

Had a nice solo trip to Bear Lake over the weekend, arrived at the trail just as the sun was setting Thursday and never saw it again, but did see every type of precipitation I know of. I did some fine skiing, hoped to make it to Woodhull fire tower but after breaking trail for a couple miles decided Remsen Falls was far enough. Also skied the trail through the woods to Woodhull Lake lean-to: there's a candidate to be relocated.
Loved the Bear Lake lean-to, oriented facing away from the lake so no one needs to cut trees to enhance the view, only one set of initials carved in it, very impressive. I don't recall a Carry In/ Carry Out sign posted in a lean-to before. Is this a particular problem with this one? I decided piling all the stuff up left behind by people who can't read would make a nice picture before hauling it all out.
I was able to pack it up for the haul out, but then didn't have room in my sled for all my stuff. There was only one thing to leave behind. Who knows, it could save a life someday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1917.JPG (125.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2004.JPG (123.1 KB, 139 views)
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Golddragon214

Even a Backpacker Magazine?!! I guess they didnt read it much, just looked at the pretty pictures and left it behind because of all the trash around ruined the sites there. SMH
Golddragon214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Nice banjo, and a handy travel size to boot. Is it a C scale or do mine eyes deceive me? The mattock is especially interesting. Pretty heavy, and only useful if one was trying to dig a trench for some reason, in my experience.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:55 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

The mattock is clearly for killing zombies.

I'd assume whoever compiled that junk posts here:

http://mysurvivalforum.com/forums/zombie_apocalypse/
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
The mattock is especially interesting. Pretty heavy, and only useful if one was trying to dig a trench for some reason, in my experience.
Years ago I used one to chop a hole through the ice.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
geogymn

Wow, that's quite a haul!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
Banjoe

It's a Lyon and Healy Pony banjo, not sure what the C scale means. Since it's over 100 years old I figured the neck and rim are pretty dry and could give off some heat when burned, the pot is useful as a shovel or a paddle, and the strings can be used to hang a bear bag.
I didn't actually haul the maddock or all of the buckets out, just not enough room. I tried to chop a hole in the ice but gave up after about a foot. There was also a large tarp tied up to the front of the lean-to that I never got around to cutting down. I also left behind a tent frame that was frozen into the ground. Next time.
The one boot cracked me up. It was reminded me of what they do in shoe stores where they only have one on display so it's no use stealing it.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I guess my sense of proportion is a bit out of whack. A C scale will usually be around a 19-20+ inch scale length so it can be tuned to open C, like G but a fifth higher, and yours is a size smaller, around 17" if I understand right. It sounds like a nice size for carrying in the woods, and very handy in an emergency as you point out. Maybe the one boot is so the owner only has to carry the other one in with them to have a pair, instead of carrying both, but it seems a bit strange.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote