Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #41
adkmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailpatrol View Post
We have three REIs in the Twin Cities, and they are all among the best gear stores in the region.
They are short on wool, but I am also close to Cabelas and Gander Mountain, and I can usually find wool there.

In Minnesota we don't have any sales tax on clothing items, including footwear.

Roast your chestnuts on an open fire,

Hans

Good to know, I will be out in Woodbury MN for the next week, will try to check out an REI.
I usually try to get to Cabelas while I am out there, I also really like The Sportsman's Warehouse. I would love to see one of them in NY.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 PM   #42
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
We have three REIs in the Twin Cities, and they are all among the best gear stores in the region.
Too bad they don't have one at the airport. I've got a couple hour layover on the 26th.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 PM   #43
Trailpatrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Too bad they don't have one at the airport. I've got a couple hour layover on the 26th.
They have a "flagship" store in Bloomingon. It's only about 5 minutes away from the airport.

Hans
Trailpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #44
redhawk

Quote:
They have a "flagship" store in Bloomingon. It's only about 5 minutes away from the airport.

Hans
Unfortunately I can't run like Adrian Peterson
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 12-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #45
adkmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Unfortunately I can't run like Adrian Peterson

Not too many people can.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:31 AM   #46
Kevin
**BANNED**

I thought the selection at the MA store I visited last year was really good, definitely as good or better than EMS. Two floors of stuff is a good indication they keep more stock. Indoor rock gym was nice too, even though it was only one large section of wall. Unfortunately it was still full retail pricing on most items I was interested in, and could be found online cheaper. While I like the idea of returning things if they break, it's so rare things break on me it really isn't enough of a factor. I also no longer don't buy low end stuff that is more likely to break, so that helps with the longevity piece...
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #47
sacredloon
Administrator

EMS has turned into a yuppie clothing store with nothing but cheesy gear and colored nalgene bottles. You can't get any good gear there anymore! Shameful!

REI, we'll see!
Best place for gear...Freeport Maine, LL bean Store (kinda going downhill gearwise too) Patagonia and North Face outlets. Fun!
Campmor always has had what I needed, fun place to go!
sacredloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #48
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredloon View Post
EMS has turned into a yuppie clothing store with nothing but cheesy gear and colored nalgene bottles. You can't get any good gear there anymore! Shameful!

REI, we'll see!
Best place for gear...Freeport Maine, LL bean Store (kinda going downhill gearwise too) Patagonia and North Face outlets. Fun!
Campmor always has had what I needed, fun place to go!
I wouldn't go that far in knocking EMS. They still carry decent gear.

Patagonia is criminally overpriced as far as I am concerned, but that's true for much of the technical clothing.

Yes, Campmor has the best selection of gear I have ever seen under one roof and in their catalog. Although I shop mainly on the net and amost always where I find the best deal, there are times I like to be able to get some hands-on before I buy. I just recently purchased my Osprey pack from EMS and I have one of their synthetic 5 degree bags that has kept me warm for the last four years.

REI has decent stuff as well, and it's nice to have something near-by where you an walk in and 'smell" the gear gathered together.

Hawk
Old 12-31-2007, 09:16 AM   #49
Bill I.

I'm in Massachusetts at the moment, where we have a decent EMS just up the road and an REI about 30 miles down the Mass Pike. Most of the floorspace in the EMS store is, of course, devoted to clothing--some of it good (I bought a nice sweater on my last visit, which I'm wearing now) and some of it just overpriced garbage. Around the walls there is a decent gear selection, certainly enough to completely outfit yourself.

I just visited the REI store for the first time yesterday. What a difference! This store had 2 floors. The first floor was mostly gear, with some winter clothing. Great selection, prices not too horrible. If I had had more time and money, I'm sure I could have came away with more stuff than I did. As mentioned before the clothing selection was short on wool. The place was busy, with a short line at the checkout, so business can't be too bad. I've been to an REI store years ago, but this one certainly made a favorable impression.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:12 PM   #50
Farkleberrie

I also think EMS is going downhill and I think it's gotten worse since the company was sold in 2004 to Will Manzer. For those of you who don't know, Mr. Manzer used to be president of Perry Ellis and I think Abercrombie & Fitch, so that obviously qualifies him to run an outdoor oriented business. Also, the new head of product design, Scott Hutsenpiller, used to be head designer at Tommy Hilfiger.

The story was, when the company was sold it's new goal was to focus on the hard core outdoor enthusiast and all of the "soccer mom" clothing was supposed to go away. However, as everyone else has noted, it looks like the opposite has happened.

I worked at my local EMS for a few months and most of the employees at the time had a lot of outdoor experience including one guy who'd hiked the AT, PCT, and Long Trail. He was always complaining about the fact that EMS carried ultra light packs, but no ultra light gear to put in the packs. He has since been fired. One of my good friends still works at EMS and before living here she lived in San Francisco and worked at an REI. She much prefers the way REI was run and how the employees were treated compared to EMS.
Farkleberrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #51
Wldrns

I tend to agree with the edge up given to REI stores vs EMS. However, REI is nothing like it used to be (I'm talking 70's and 80's here). When they had few stores, their catalog was packed full of truly useful information, several pages of high tech tips to go along with the high quality equipment. I used to save the catalogs just for the information content, they were worthwhile keepers. Then there would be several pages about the company, its history, current directions, and the directors themselves. For a time EMS and REI competed head to head (though I always thought REI to be the better), then EMS got completely out of the catalog mail order business for a few years before coming back to where they are now.

Last edited by Wldrns; 01-01-2008 at 12:37 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #52
Chrommy

Has anyone been to the REI in Denver? It is literally a warehouse, 3 or 4 stories high and hundreds of feet long! I'm pretty sure they have everything there.
Chrommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #53
wiiawiwb

It wasn't so long that people chastised me for breaking the rules by not registering at trailheads. That's "the law" I was told, "It's for the good of everyone". So is reporting and paying sales or use tax. Funny how it always boils down to whose ox is being gored.

By the way, I have been told by an auditor that NYS is geared up to audit tax returns that show no sales tax reported on their individual tax returns filed. Not sure if that will occur. I guess we'll see. Anyone with a larger tax issue would be foolhearty not to report and pay sales tax on their personal return and have it trigger an audit. Penny wise and clearly pound foolish.

Internet retailers must collect sales tax on sales shipped within the state because it has a connection, a nexus, tax situs to the state from which it operates. Sales tax is a destination tax and therefore if the internet retailer has no payroll, warehouse, or assets in other states then it is only required to collect sales tax from sales shipped to states for which it does have nexus.

Almost every national retail association is for an internet sales tax and I agree. It puts your local, bricks and mortar, business owner (who recirculates profits locally) on a level playing field with a large internet retailer who doesn't collect sales tax.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #54
Trailpatrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
It wasn't so long that people chastised me for breaking the rules by not registering at trailheads... internet retailer who doesn't collect sales tax.
Our state (MN) does not tax clothing or store-bought food. (groceries) They do, however, require all watercraft without registration in their home state to be registered here if they are used in Minnesota, including kayaks on Lake Superior and canoes in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. There is no "temporary registration" for out-of-state boats. You buy a $21.00, 3-year registration just like us residents have to. I think it stinks, even though I have lived here for almost 20 years now.

My point is that I don't shed any tears for the government entity that doesn't get their bite of the sales taxes when you order on-line, because one way or another, Uncle Sam (or Uncle Elliot or Uncle Tim) makes sure they get their piece of the pie. E.G.: I don't buy from LL Bean to avoid sales taxes; I buy from LL Bean because I like their products; I have been using them for almost 40 years; they have a fantastic, iron-clad guarantee. When I lived in New York, back before Al Gore invented the Internet, I had no problem drving up to Freeport, paying Maine sales tax and buying from the original store. Now I see they have a store in the Albany area. If I drop in next time I am back in NYS, I'll pay the sales tax, just like I would on anything else I buy on my trip.

Hey, it's winter...get out and embrace it!
Hans
Old 01-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #55
redhawk

I buy online because I get better service then I do buying locally, as well as better prices. There was a time when the service was the other way around. Sadly, that has changed.

As for the taxes, I don't feel that the state has a right to charge me a sales tax on something I bought somewhere else, whether on the internet, or driving across a border because it's cheaper.

After all, this is Capatalism and as such I'm entitled to find the best deal at the cheapest price. Why the government thinks it should be exempt from that thinking, I have no idea.

A good rule of thumb is to ask what my government has done for me today, and in many cases it's bad, not good. Why should I pay them to be inefficient, often self serving and in many cases downright dishonest.

Finally, if you believe what they tell us about the government being the people, that means that I am in effect the government. So I should be free to buy what I want, where I want, and if it's, out of state, then I shouldn't have to pay taxes on it.

If someone is driving across a border to buy something becaue the tax is cheaper there, then perhaps the state should lower it's sales tax to compete with the neighboring state. Competition, isn't that the American Way?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #56
wiiawiwb

Redhawk....I completely with your philosophy. The problem is that our state enacted a sales or use tax which taxes either the purchase of goods or the use thereof. NYS's nose-bleed tax burden makes this state uncompetitive with almost every other state. It's no wonder there has been a mass exodus of people from this state to lower-taxed states like Florida, Texas and Nevada.

Unfortunately, some people become so frustrated they decide to ignore tax laws and, with a bit of bad luck, can find themselves going to the crow-bar hotel. Have you noticed lately how the IRS has been promoting the whistler-blower fees? It's not coincidental that it is done just before the tax-filing season.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote