Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
sheri

Looking for Hikers to Add to Trail Site

I am developing a hiking trail website and need people to add details about their favorite hikes. The Adirondacks are a priority for me, of course, but I am collecting hikes nationally too. The site will automatically generate an illustrated wildlife field guide for each trail that you can print out and take on the hike if you are into identifying birds, trees, wildflowers, etc. Anyway, I hope to find some generous souls to help with this collection. Have fun out there!
sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Neil
Kayak-46

Is there a link to your site?
Old 12-22-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
sheri

Hiking Trail Collection

Yes, sorry, that would help wouldn't it? The hiking site is: www.makingtrackschallenge.com

My personal site is: www.adirondackillustrator.com
Old 12-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
yvon
ADK 46er

I like it very much, good job.

Les randonnées de Annie et Yvon (Website)
----
Hiking pics, only
yvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
sheri

It's a work in progress. It would be great to have some experienced hikers contribute. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make inputting trails easier. (I can help with species input if that part worries anyone.)
Best,
S.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

I'm not sure if this helps, but many of my favorite trails are within the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness. There are many trails and bodies of water to choose from. I'm sure it's the same for many areas but you're sure to see different types of maple, hemlock, birch, spruce, balsam, white pine, red pine, and other trees. You'll also see warblers, sparrows, chickadees, swallows, woodpeckers, gulls, ducks, geese, turkeys, loons, ravens and other common birds. If your lucky you'll see hawks, eagles, owls, harriers, or an osprey.
It's also very common to see beavers, deer, rabbits, squirrels, and fish.
Again, if your lucky you'll see bear, moose, coyote, bobcat, martin, and other elusive mammals.

I'm not a scientist, and after 30 years of hiking I'm still learning the many different types of species found in our beloved Adirondacks. I'm I fan of anything that helps me learn. --Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:16 AM   #7
sheri

Hi Justin,
No need to be a scientist. All the species are listed for you to check off and the illustrated reference collection is growing so you can identify species you run across. If you have time and want to add these trails to the database it would be amazingly helpful. It takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes to add a trail depending on how much detail you want to put into it.

Once a trail description is in the database it automatically generates an illustrated species guide that people can print out with the trail information (and the field guide) to take with them.

So if you ever have a free few moments and feel like it... www.makingtrackschallenge.com

Thanks!
Safe Travels.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #8
wanderingspirit

Very nice site!
I'm happy here in the cliffs
wanderingspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Very nice -

This would be a fun site for a group of students or Scouts to work with - entering a local trail as a project would be a great exercise.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
sheri

Yes! perfect for Scouts. I have thought to develop a nature trail patch for the Scouts who have taken this on. If you know of any who might like this project point them my way!
Best,
Sheri
Old 12-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Sheri,
Make sure you "bump" this thread in the spring/summer/fall when hiking season really gets going again.
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
sheri

That is a great idea! Now... ummm... how does one bump a message?
Old 12-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Bump
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote