Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #41
rondak100
Mike

Neil Young
rondak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #42
Outsider

Neil and Sylvie,

We are very sorry to hear of your loss.

The pain will recede, and remember that Dominick has now climbed higher than is possible for us mere mortals.

Our thoughts are with you and your children.

O
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #43
spiralsands

Neil and Family,

It broke my heart to read this news. Your son was lovely. I cannot possibly imagine the pain. My one daughter, my one and only, is 22 so I tried to put myself squarely in your shoes but couldn't bear it. I'm so, so sorry...

Sincerely,
Frances
spiralsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #44
Emily T
WMass

"Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon; and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight."
~Rossiter Worthington Raymond

I am so very sorry for your pain.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
-- Mark Twain
Emily T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #45
aft paddle

Neil...As one proud Dad to another, thanks for the reminders in your heartfelt post. I've reread it several times. My sincerest sympathy to you, your family and friends. Bob
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #46
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Langauge, especially the written language, at times falls far short of our expectations and desires. Words, spoken or written, can't nearly come close to conveying the emotions that are sometimes trapped inside our hearts wanting to get out. Now is one of those times.

Nothing I could possibly say or write could come close to expressing what I really want to say, partly because there isn't simply one thing that I would want to say, there's thousands. The thoughts last for only short instances before traveling off onto other tacks, and then to others, and others, and others....

Sadness. The loss of a child could only bring about the greatest sadness a human could ever know.

Happiness. Neil, the words with which you eulogized Dominick relayed the happiness that can only be known by a parent seeing a young life gradually transform from birth into a fine, loved, respected adult. That happiness, the love of fatherhood, glows with all the heat and intensity of a new star in every word you've ever written about your son.

Sharing. Fathers share with their sons. They expose their children to bits and pieces of their likes in the hopes of sparking a common interest, a reason to have the kids spend time with "the old man." A man that takes his kids fishing is not simply teaching them about catching fish. Likewise, a man that takes his son camping and hiking is not simply getting his son out of the house for a few hours. The kids may not realize it, but the Dad's get more out of the time than the kids could ever imagine. You were lucky beyond belief to have been fortunate enough to have a great son to share with, to teach and to learn from.

The Void. When some people leave us a hole gets created in our middle, a jagged, gnarley, painful gash that remains forever. This Void is our love. The love isn't gone, it'll always be there, just sometimes it makes itself known as a burning pain wondering what could have been had things not happened as they did.

Smiles From Nowehere. A sight, a familiar smell, or sometimes a brief sound, will occasionally jar us from the place we are and instantly remind us of someone we wish was still with us. Inevitably the reaction is a smile, a uncontrollably, face softening, day brightening smile. Smiles From Nowhere are those that have passed coming back to play tricks on us, always when it's least expected and most needed.

Neil and Sylvie, please accept my mere words of condolence, as much as they fall short of expressing what's really bottled up inside trying to get out. My thoughts are with you and of Dominick, who I'm positive is smiling down from his new mountain.

Ordin
Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #47
Grayelve
Carry On

So much pain, so much loss and so much emotion and so much sharing of this tragedy. Find the strength in the sharing of his life's nova with you and yours.
It was short but oh so radiant and full. I give you my prayer and emotion for this passing of a precious part of your life. Je suis peiné.
Grayelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:35 AM   #48
twochordcool

Neil and Sylvie, I am so terribly sorry for your loss.

I never had the opportunity to meet your son but from what I can tell, from the descriptions of those who were fortunate enough to get to know him, and through his amazing pictures, I can tell that he was an incredible human being, a very special young man.

I am truly saddened, by the passing of this terrific kid, for his family which seem like a perfect example of what all families should be, and for their pain which I cannot even imagine.

I am terribly sorry, my condolences.

Tim Dannenhoffer

Last edited by twochordcool; 01-12-2008 at 04:59 PM..
twochordcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #49
adkfun

Neil,

Like so many others on this forum, although we have never met, I have followed your adventures, read your stories and looked at pictures of your family while hiking. I remember thinking a while ago that I hoped that my son and I will have the same kind of relationship you and your son have and that he will enjoy hiking/camping with dad as much as your son does.

Neil, in case you didn't realize it, you and your family have inspired many on this forum. I can't even imagine the pain you and your family must be feeling now. I hope you receive some comfort knowing that you and your son are an inspiration to us all.

My deepest and heart felt condolences.

Lacomba Family
adkfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #50
adkclimber

Brothers and sisters who climb

Dear Neil, Sylvie and family ....from all of us who climb for the shear joy of it.

While we can not imagine the pain you must feel. Here at this venue we share our common love ...climbing. We are brothers and sisters and we are here for you when you are ready.

Tawhawus
by Orra A. Phelps #47
sung to the tune of " Austria"

On Tawhawus we salute thee,
Mighty Clever of the sky,
Of the summits of the forests,
Thine the crown that towers most high.
Suns of summer, snows of winter
Make they gandeur more sublime.
We come humbly seeking blessings
That thou givest those who climb.

On Tawhawus' slopes we tarry,
Build our eveing campfires bright,
Comrades of the trail together
Here find shelter for the night.
Wind for music, stars for wonder
Mystic dawn then glorious day
Great Tawhawus, strength thou givest,
For life's ever upward way.

Climb high young man, climb high.

So many mountains, too little time

Douglas R Arnold #4693W
adkclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #51
wyldeflower
happiest in the woods

I am so sorry to you for your recent loss of Dominic.

May you be blessed with your memories of this great young man. Peace. - Kim

Last edited by wyldeflower; 01-14-2008 at 10:23 PM..
wyldeflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #52
KeanGrad

Neil & family,
I read of the passing I believe 2 days after the accident and it has taken me this long to muster a reply. I apoligize for the lengthy delay. We have never met but we share the love the outdoors and the mentoring of a child to become a partner in the same. My daughter is 17 and was raised with the understanding that the outdoors is to be cherished and protected as well as enjoyed. She has been hiking/backpacking with me since she was seven with her 1st trip being Mt Jo. It is a special bond that we as parents share with our children as we witness there maturing in front of our eyes. All the while knowing that the outdoors and the special time spent together have been a contributing factor in their development of character and morals.
Please know that while your sons time may have been short it was filled with the love and caring of a close family and a community of friends. As a fellow parent I pray for you and your wife knowing that the days to follow will be difficult. It is very easy to get caught up in the day-to-day hustle of life, your situation made many in this hiking community re-focus on the prioities of family. It certainly did to me.... I've hugged both my children extra hard everyday since.

Peace,
KG
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #53
windsong781

Dear Neil,

It is obvious from all that has been written that you have been a wonderful dad to Dominic and a great role model for his life. All that he was and all that he aspired to become were a direct result of the loving and nurturing relationships that were a part of his life. There is no shame in inspiring a young person to follow their dreams. Don't for a moment regret anything that you may have done to encourage him to walk the life path that he chose. He loved what he did and lived life to the fullest. As one writer put it, Dominic had done more in his short lifetime than many of those several times his age will ever dream of doing.

It is my hope that the memory of Dominics life will inspire both young and old alike to follow their dreams and reach for the sky.

My deepest and most heartfelt condolences go out to you, your loved ones and to all those who knew Dominic.

Windsong781
(Cheryl)
windsong781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #54
marzrw

I really can't think of anything to say, except, everyone is thinking of you and sharing your grief even though most of us have never met you or your family, we truly are deeply saddened and wish you the best.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #55
Moses Atwood

I can't add much to all that's been said. I've enjoyed reading your trip reports, and looking at your pictures. I treasure the memories I have of hiking and camping with my son, as I know you treasure yours. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Moses Atwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #56
Rock

You and your family are in our prayers.