Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Frankr

Book About Wilderness Canoe Fishing

I have written a book about fishing on wilderness canoe trips, self-published through Createspace, a subsidiary of Amazon. I was concerned that it might be inappropriate to promote. However, the administrator has advised that it's not a problem. It's $2.99 on Kindle. It's not like I'm selling life insurance or what-have-you.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Guide-Wilder..._pe_p_t_1_2W7D

This is a combination how-to and a memoir of roughly 30 years of fishing on trips. It's my first book, more of a personal art project than an effort to write a best seller. I have given it to most of my personal friends. They've given me good feedback about the content and photography.

If you decide to give it a try, I'd love to hear what you think.

I have canoed in the Adirondacks. For the most part, I think ultra light spinning tackle is the best match to that system. 4lb test line. Small French spinners. Very small plugs and crankbaits.

Frankr
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

I will check it out, Frank. Most on this board, including myself, use flies more than not though. Thank you for posting and congrats on finishing the book.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Frankr

Gray Ghost,

I checked out your website. Congrats on those fish and the photos. It sounds like you have spent decades learning where to go, for all the best spiritual type reasons.

Without meaning to be trite, location, location, location. Without meaning to overstate the obvious, there are a lot of great wilderness and semi wilderness areas in the Adirondacks, particularly for trout fishing.

I think fly fishing is an exquisite way to fish. I don't think it lends itself well to the run and gun nature of wilderness canoe trips. However, I know most people who like to fish for trout, vastly prefer it to other methods.

I canoed the Osegatchie and hiked into the Three Ponds area before the windstorm blew all the trees down. I did that trip in July. We did catch a trout on a small Mepps spinner. However, I thought the area just begged to be fished with weighted nymphs with a strike indicator in late April or early May. There were some great looking spots, even though sustained 80 degree days made trout fishing in July a questionable enterprise.

All the best,

Frankr

Last edited by Frankr; 03-06-2013 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
mgc

I toss tin for smallmouth, pike etc....I have hauled in lots of fish on Mepps. When I paddle (not the same as fishing in my book) that's what is on my rod.
Trout I fish with flies or if I am in some of those alder covered streams I run a worm through..I am not above sending a small spinner under a bank. There is a certain art to getting trout from our 3 foot wide streams.

So to the point about tossing some French fru fru around on 4 lb. line, I get that but not really.
There is much much more to fishing in our park than that.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
chaser
pond jockey

Without meaning to be trite, location, location, location. Without meaning to overstate the obvious, there are a lot of great wilderness and semi wilderness areas in the Adirondacks, particularly for trout fishing.

Amen to that Frank. It's all about the right pond at the right time.

Tags
canoe, fishing, wilderness