Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #21
GTSbrookieADK

Glad to hear they're biting somewhere! I had a blast just being in the stream both days. I'll check some new spots this week.
GTSbrookieADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #22
GTSbrookieADK

So my dad kindly passed down his fly rod to me and I've been hitting the Kayaderosseras Creek near Ballston Spa 2 or 3 times a week for the past couple weeks. I'm spending most of my time exploring and practicing my cast, but I haven't been landing many fish. I'm not exactly sure which flies I should be using, could anybody drop some tips or tricks for fly fishing during the winter months? What flies should I be using? What sort of action? The stream has some ice along its edges with some stretches 100% iced in, but there are still some solid areas with open water.

Any tips are appreciated!

Thanks - Dan
GTSbrookieADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #23
BleeckerMtn

Try a stonefly nymph dead drifted under an indicator. Get the fly close to the bottom and moving the same speed as the current. Probably the most common method of fly fishing in the winter. Fish are very lazy and won't be tempted to move very far so you'll need to but the bug right on its nose.
BleeckerMtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brook trout, fishing, southern adirondacks, streams, trout