Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Burke

Connery Pond in Lake Placid?

Need help or looking for suggestions. I am taking the family to Lake Placid this summer and want to have them experience an ADK pond fishing experience (9,11 year old kids). Looking for a plcae that is scenic, uncrowded, quiet, rowboat accessible, and not far off the beaten path. Connery Pond seems ideal but I am wondering how close I can get a rowboat to the water. Also, can anyone recommend a rowboat rental place in Placid. Any tips or other pond suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
troutpunk

Any reason why you want a rowboat instead of a canoe? Canoe is much easier for a number of reasons.
troutpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #3
Burke

The only reason is For stability with two adults, two kids, and fishing movements. If there is a type of canoe that is stable enough, I would consider it. Suggestions?
Old 06-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #4
ADKpondhopper
FishyH2OSeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
The only reason is For stability with two adults, two kids, and fishing movements. If there is a type of canoe that is stable enough, I would consider it. Suggestions?
Radisson or SportsPal, multi-keeled and reasonably stable with the ability to row instead of paddle,but your capacity would be limited to at most, 3 persons, and that's pushing it, especially if your companions are inexperienced. They are considerably more lightweight than a row-boat and would allow easier access to the water.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
Buckladd

Not sure about Lake Placid but Mac's in Lake Clear Jct. is a popular rental spot. But, if you go up that way you might as well head for either the Fish Creek Ponds or St. Regis Canoe Area. They'll have some ideas for you.

http://www.macscanoe.com/macs.html
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
Bark Eater Too

I've only been to Connery Pond once. My recollection is that most of the road along the shore is private camps. At the end of the road there is a trailhead to Whiteface Landing and a parking area. I thought there was a herd path down to the shore of the pond. I think it is only a short trek. Maybe drive in and check it out prior to renting the boat? I don't remember any sort of a boat ramp.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
Bark Eater Too

Wakely Pond, off the Cedar River Road near Indian Lake, fits all your criteria except being close to Lake Placid. Rarely any boats on it and you can pull right up to the water's edge to unload a boat. The Cedar River Flow is more expansive and a mile up the road, but gets a bit more traffic. Unsure about the fishing potential in the pond.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Burke

All - thanks for giving me ideas to consider. Is there a type of canoe that would be easily carried from Connery Pond parking area to the water, that is stable for two adults and two rambunctious kids moving around and casting? I prefer location near Placid but I would consider Saranac/St Regis area to accommodate a rowboat if my canoe requirements aren't possible.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Another option is that you might rent a boat at one of the DEC campgrounds that rents them. You'd have to pay the day use fee as well, but it could be worth it. I believe that Rollins Pond does boat rentals, including rowboats, and the pond tends to be fairly quiet despite the presence of a large campground.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
PaulK

There's a concession stand, hot dogs and boat rentals , right between Fish Creek Ponds and Rollins Pond Campgrounds. I think it would work for you. This is where you want to be for the kids.

Or if you are self sufficient, that Wakely Pond suggestions is a good one.
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
PaulK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Another option is that you might rent a boat at one of the DEC campgrounds that rents them. You'd have to pay the day use fee as well, but it could be worth it. I believe that Rollins Pond does boat rentals, including rowboats, and the pond tends to be fairly quiet despite the presence of a large campground.
As I said, and I second this suggestion, to get the most out of your time in the DACKS.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #12
PaulK

And if you want REAL quiet, and if they rent canoes at the Rollins Pond concession, you can carry a canoe a few hundred yards to Whey Pond right there. No one will be on Whey pond.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #13
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK View Post
And if you want REAL quiet, and if they rent canoes at the Rollins Pond concession, you can carry a canoe a few hundred yards to Whey Pond right there. No one will be on Whey pond.
Whey Pond has special regs. May not fit in with the kids needs.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #14
Burke

In addition to the Lake Placid/Saranac area, I would also appreciate any pond suggestions around the Hoffmeister, Lake Pleasant, Speculator areas (off of Route 8). Again, I would love a pond that is rowboat accessible, quiet, very scenic (e.g., don't see RVs/campers dotting the shoreline), not crowded, and has fish to catch. Wakely Pond is a good recommendation to consider.

I would also consider ponds that could be fished from the shore/bank (ditch the need for a boat) and are within a 1-2 mile hike (easily followed trail) to get to it. Same locations as listed above. Any good suggestions?
Old 06-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #15
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
In addition to the Lake Placid/Saranac area, I would also appreciate any pond suggestions around the Hoffmeister, Lake Pleasant, Speculator areas (off of Route 8). Again, I would love a pond that is rowboat accessible, quiet, very scenic (e.g., don't see RVs/campers dotting the shoreline), not crowded, and has fish to catch. Wakely Pond is a good recommendation to consider.

I would also consider ponds that could be fished from the shore/bank (ditch the need for a boat) and are within a 1-2 mile hike (easily followed trail) to get to it. Same locations as listed above. Any good suggestions?
fawn lake
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connery, fishing, placid