Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2019, 07:59 AM   #61
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
The profound reality that I better just pace myself stops working is a very sobering reality to face, one we All have to deal with, your time just hasn't come!
I think it has. I’ve become quite found of the easy canoe camping trips & just floating, fishing, swimming, and relaxing by a campfire. Haven’t been out hiking much at all past couple years besides snowshoeing.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #62
Bluefire
OFGIC

Primarily because of health issues and secondarily because of aging mother in law, camping these days is limited to a night or two at the most at off the grid cabin. From there we are limited to day trip paddling adventures. While we do not post most of them, we like to get out as much as possible. Unlike many we find great satisfaction in upstream exploration, don’t mind climbing over beaver dams and around obstructions. We also like adventures like the chain drain, and the clockmill adventures. We don’t generally run into other paddlers as we tend to avoid the more popular areas. We have carried over 2.5 miles to get into desired areas. With all being said,Justin what can you tell us about the stream that runs between gero and Hammond ponds? This last question is considered armchair scouting for us old gas passer
Bluefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #63
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
Justin what can you tell us about the stream that runs between gero and Hammond ponds?
I thought I remembered reading a trip report about Black Brook a while back but couldn’t find it. Adk Keith maybe?
Old 08-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #64
TCD

Black Brook is very pretty. I'm not a paddler, but there are probably boatable sections.

The first part right out from the Hammond Pond dam is not really for boats - it's all rocks and only a little water. If you walked in there, you would want to pick up the brook where it flattens out. (Although Hammond Pond is pretty - it's worth walking another couple minutes to see it.

Easy brook access from Ensign Pond Road as the brook crosses the road in two places. Don't know anything about the bridges, and whether you can fit under or if you have to walk over.

Easy enough take out at the Gero dam. Room to park near the little cemetery, and it's state land between Gero Pond and the road.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #65
Bluefire
OFGIC

Thanks for the info, my grandfather used to drive us to the dam on Hammond when we were much younger to hunt frogs, so I am fairly familiar with that end. Hope to paddle upstream from the bridge near the east end of gero to the bridge just past the new access parking for Hammond. Haven’t seen the level since early July, might be too low now.
Bluefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #66
Justin
Moving along

Found it, but more so the upper portion of Black Brook by Adk Keith..
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Black
Old 08-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #67
Adk Keith
Telemarker

The beaver had been gone a long time on this end.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #68
Justin
Moving along

You’re the man Keith, thank you for chiming in.
Any thoughts on the Cedar River below the Chain Drain?
Maybe best to wait & see if the bridge gets built or not. Might make access a little easier maybe not.

Last edited by Justin; 08-06-2019 at 04:46 PM..
Old 08-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #69
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Youíre the man Keith, thank you for chiming in.
Any thoughts on the Cedar River below the Chain Drain?
Maybe best to wait & see if the bridge gets built or not. Might make access a little easier maybe not.
I think I read about a lawsuit that could block the bridge construction...the suit claims that section of the Cedar is protected by a wild and scenic river classification. I don't remember the other claims, but the bridge would be a non conforming structure for sure.

The Cedar below the Chain Drain (and Rock River) is a delightful paddle until shortly before the confluence with the Hudson. That particular stretch is best run in the spring, but access at that time of year is difficult due to seasonal road closures.

FWIW, access to the Cedar at the Big Bend (and Pine Lake too) becomes easier in the fall when the normally closed roads are opened up for big game season.
That reduces the potential walk/carry by about a mile.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #70
Eidolon
OFGIC

"The Cedar below the Chain Drain (and Rock River) is a delightful paddle until shortly before the confluence with the Hudson. That particular stretch is best run in the spring, but access at that time of year is difficult due to seasonal road closures."

Mike,

After we waited at Square Rock rapids for you to take photos then you informed us that "you got your moneys worth" and were going to head back, I hadn't realized that you had paddled that section of the Cedar and were so familiar with it. My apologies. Unfortunately we lost enough time to not get to the first set of rapids little did I know we could have asked you what the rest of the river was like.
Eidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #71
Beaver Chaw
Don't forget to Spit

Stripperguy has been everywhere, Just ask if you need to know!!
Old 08-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #72
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver Chaw View Post
Stripperguy has been everywhere, Just ask if you need to know!!
Donít I wish!!
With every year this wish list grows longer and longer
Many of the places I go donít interest that many folks
Old 08-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #73
Beaver Chaw
Don't forget to Spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Donít I wish!!
With every year this wish list grows longer and longer
Many of the places I go donít interest that many folks
Your trips really amaze those of us that just wish we could do something similar. I'm sure many are waiting for you to write a guide book or start guiding clients on trips!!
Old 08-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #74
Lucky13

I don't think Razorback Pond in the western Adirondacks is big enough for a plane to land, but the campsite there was equally trashed, even worse, except no "pseudo" cabinetry, when I first went in. It took us the better part of 10 trips over 15 years to haul it all out, one bag at a time. It's not just fliers. But I encountered an inordinate amount of similar treatment of campsites in the MRP last week when I went in after the weekend. And the area definitely gets a LOT of use from Thursday until Sunday, we went in early last Thursday and most sites were vacant, but when we came back out in the late afternoon, a lot were filling, and there was quite a bit of incoming traffic. I don't understand some people's pathologic need to leave some tangible evidence of their using a site, no one else wants your tin foil or your leftover Enchanted Forest cups! I don't think there was a site I looked at where I wouldn't have had to do some cleanup for the prior occupant before I could start setting up. And I was not in to camp, so I never checked a privy!

Thanks, Justin, for the beautiful Pix and Description, and map. This looks like a great trip! Just curious, had it rained heavily over the Cedar watershed recently, that looks like a lot of flow for summer? Less flow and I would be tempted to hike it with a flyrod.
Lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #75
Lucky13

I have to start looking at the dates of posts, I did not realize that this thread was started in 2016. However, Justin's incredible sense of detail may recall the meteorology around when he took the hike!
Lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #76
TrailBlaser

Great report and photos Justin. Thanks for checking it out and posting the info.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #77
Justin
Moving along

Thanks guys.
I honestly donít remember if how the weather was beforehand that 6/13 trip but Iím assuming the Cedar was running a little high judging from the photos.
I do remember however that are some good views from Big Pisgah Mountain which I did the following winter with a few friend. The bushwhack from the road up & over & down to the gaging station trail & back was not very difficult and very rewarding.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #78
Eidolon
OFGIC

Justin,

Did you get to the gauge? Is it still active, I don't see it listed on my water gauge site.
Thanks
Eidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #79
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Justin,

Did you get to the gauge? Is it still active, I don't see it listed on my water gauge site.
Thanks
I donít remember seeing it, might have been hidden beneath snow & ice, but the trail/road leading to the shore was quite obvious.