Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
FTHR&DAGHTR

Norridgwock trail from Twitchell Lake

Has anybody hiked into Beaver River on this trail in the last few years?

....... with the good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.......
FTHR&DAGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Lonehiker

I hiked it in September of 2010, but that is probably too far back. I made it to the Beaver River Bridge on Bullock Rd., but had to turn around immediately. I was running out of daylight. It's a long trail to a remote hamlet cutoff from the world.

Beaver River
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beaver Residence resize.JPG (41.7 KB, 140 views)
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
Wldrns

A long time ago. A great area.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
Lonehiker

I will describe it to you, but it has been a while. It was my first long range hike, so it had a lasting impact on me. I did it solo and enjoyed it.

It starts out as a wide trail from Twitchell Lake. That trail leads to Silver Lake. The Norridgewock trail begins on the right before Silver Lake. It immediately ascends a 200-300 foot ridge. It then descends that ridge with a switchback. The trail heads toward Oswego Pond and crosses the outlet. This crossing was an interesting rock hop at that time. I think there were a few planks. It was boggy. The trail swings around the pond on a height of land and crosses an inlet stream. Now begins the Twitchell Mountain pass. The trail runs along the east edge of the ridge passing it on the north. I remember it taking a while. It then descends into the midpoint of the hike, which is a stream. There was mileage signage of 3.5 miles if I remember right.

The next half involves climbing over a series of low ridges. These are easy climbs. It's like rolling hills basically. The map shows a small hill at first and I believe I remember it. There was a dry drainage in the col. Then you climb up the parent ridge. You climb up the ridge and descend into a plateau. crossing the plateau is another ridge which the trail skirts around. On the final descent there was a notable stream crossing. I could see the reservoir in the distance through the trees. After a while you reach Norridgewock. There should be a trail register then a road. I turned right on that road, crossed an embankment, and finally turned left to cross the Beaver River. The maps showed you can turn left at the register and go the other way around Norridgewock Lake to Beaver River. It's not far either way

It's about 7 miles from Twitchell Lake to Beaver River. I want to go back someday! It was nice woods in there.

Last edited by Lonehiker; 07-11-2019 at 06:27 PM..
Old 07-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
Lonehiker

I have seen somewhere, years ago, that there is a way up an unknown ridge, called Burnt Ridge. Apparently, there are views up there.

I think it's this ridge circled on the map.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Norridgewock.gif (65.7 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by Lonehiker; 07-11-2019 at 12:30 AM..
Old 07-11-2019, 04:16 AM   #6
Lonehiker

FOUND IT!

Burnt Mountain is described on Pages 279-281 of my "Adirondack Trails West-Central Region", 4th Edition guide book. The trail number is 127. It starts at Beaver River and heads 2 miles southwest to the summit views. I searched the internet and nothing is said about it, except on a YouTube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak5q4LszSRM
It isn't shown on the National Geographic Maps. Not even my Discover series guide books describe it.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
FTHR&DAGHTR

Thanks so much Lonehiker,good info. Sort of checked this out last weekend when we did the Stillwater Fire Tower. From the tower you could get a good picture of "the lay of the land" and we also drove up to find the trailhead at Twitchell. Time is of no real issue because we will meet other family members in Beaver River that will come in on the boat from the other end of the reservoir and spend the night with us. Thanks again.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I hiked it in July 2016. At the time, the trail was in decent shape- a bit brushy in spots, but generally easy to follow and with minimal blowdown. I do recall that the trail was a bit hard to find when departing Beaver River, though- so if you're hiking into Beaver River definitely pay attention to the route when you enter the town in preparation for the hike out.

https://goo.gl/photos/b5W6uhi7GyUj39Ke9
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #9
FTHR&DAGHTR

Thanks DSettahr very valuable info here thanks so much.