Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
adk-46r
IT'S GRACE & CARSON PEAKS

Articles or forum archives on lost hikers

I have been searching for two articles that appeared in forums and newspapers with no success. The first one happened on or about 01/14/96 when two hikers got lost in a white out on Algonquin. and I can't remember the date of the second one ; but it was about a hiker found on Haystack or panther gorge by a group of hikers in the winter. The hiker had hypothermia, was disoriented, and dehydrated. also lost his snowshoes. This occurred probably less than ten years ago. If someone can guide me to these articles I would appreciate it.
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
adk-46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
mapscannotcontainme

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk-46r View Post
I have been searching for two articles that appeared in forums and newspapers with no success. The first one happened on or about 01/14/96 when two hikers got lost in a white out on Algonquin. and I can't remember the date of the second one ; but it was about a hiker found on Haystack or panther gorge by a group of hikers in the winter. The hiker had hypothermia, was disoriented, and dehydrated. also lost his snowshoes. This occurred probably less than ten years ago. If someone can guide me to these articles I would appreciate it.

1) Algonquin Incident: article was written by Laura Viscombe for the Lake Placid News dated Friday January 19, 1996 of the "Odds and Ins" section under the subtitle "Algonquin Mountain".

The highlights were that two inexperienced hikers, a father-and-son duo from Brooklyn who required rescue after venturing out unprepared in sub zero weather. One ranger, Bruce Coon descended from a helicopter to the summit and climbed down to find the hikers. Meanwhile Ranger Gary Hodgson led another team up on snowshoes. They were found attempting to approach the summit.

2) Haystack Incident: article was written for the Adirondack Enterprise printed on Monday, January 12th, 1976 on the front page in a small section under the title "Lost Hiker found Safe".

Mark W. Smith, 18, of Schenectady was found early Monday morning after having been lost for two days while he was trying to climb Haystack Mountain. He was found on the outskirts of Onchiota suffering from hypothermia so they placed him in an insolated tobogan and brought him to shelter. He was not trying to climb Mount Haystack, the 3rd tallest mountain in NYS and the 46 High Peak however. He was trying to climb Haystack Mountain or Big Haystack Mountain outside of Onchiota. Two different mountains.

Hope this helped.
- Bob Dylan, Things Have Changed

Last edited by mapscannotcontainme; 04-13-2009 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: spelling
mapscannotcontainme is offline   Reply With Quote